So much protein!

Options
I am having a difficult time getting enough protein in my diet. My allowance for 1200 cals is 90 grams of protein, 120 carbs, 40 fat, and 24 sugar. How can I find protein to incorporate into my diet without the fat calories adding up? I just started this new and healthier way of eating 10 days ago and have already lost 5 lbs! I have yet to eat 1200 calories, or get close to the amount of protein required. I find that I am very sleepy in the mornings, too, and have difficulty arising. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I find tuna is low cal, cheap, and high protein. I'm sure people will suggest skinless chicken or beans as well.

Maybe you could incorporate a protein shake? I found that they were great at upping my protein intake when I couldn't quite make it with my normal food intake. Also, I had a doctor tell me once to have a protein shake before bed if I was waking up feeling foggy / sleepy. Helps rebuild things during the night. I'm not sure of the science of it all, but I did feel much better doing it!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Choose lean sources of protein - chicken breast, turkey breast, white fish, egg whites, low fat dairy, quinoa/beans... If you really struggle, you could incorporate a protein powder.

The allowance of 1200 is a minimum, not something to eat under (unless you're tiny)
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you're fatigued you may need to eat a little more. I think mfp sets alot of ppl at 1200 if you say you want to lose 1.5-2lbs per week. But it wasn't a good number for me to start out at and keep long term. I upped to 1400 and I'm still losing 1-2 lbs a week without being tired and hungry all day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're fatigued you may need to eat a little more. I think mfp sets alot of ppl at 1200 if you say you want to lose 1.5-2lbs per week. But it wasn't a good number for me to start out at and keep long term. I upped to 1400 and I'm still losing 1-2 lbs a week without being tired and hungry all day.

MFP sets a lot of people to 1200 because it's the minimum intake a female should have and they choose a rate that would land them below that number. My goal for 1.5 pounds a week is 1850, but I also have a lot to lose and an active job.

OP, how far below your calories/protein goal are you?
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised at the amount of food that contains protein. There's the "protein myth" to consider as well - a lot of time we have too much. I'm a vegetarian (a proper one - I don't eat fish) and I know my "go to" foods for good sources of protein: Beans, lentils, cottager cheese, tofu, etc. I also use protein shakes when needed, and I pretty much hit my goals.

However if your a meat eater the advice from others is spot on - get lean meats. Also use MFP nutrition and see how short you are on your goals, and then look for reliable websites for sources of protein.
  • luckyme404
    luckyme404 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Soy nuts, endemame, raisins, mix together and make a trail mix. Tastes good and has plenty of protein. Hummus is good too.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    First, if you are struggling on 1200 calories that's not surprising, it's the lowest allowable calorie intake for women... try adjusting your weight loss rate - is it set for more than 1 pound per week? This will give you a lot less calories per day. Try changing your weight loss rate to 1 pound or 0.5 pounds per week and you will be given a higher calorie allotment.

Now for protein... I too struggle to get in enough protein- mainly because I don't enjoy eating meat very much. But it is really important to hit that protein goal for optimum results and to prioritize body fat loss and not muscle loss! Things that have helped me reach my protein goals:

Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Protein powder/protein shakes
    Protein bars
    Shrimp
    Chicken (no skin)
    Turkey (roasted, ground, deli meat)
    Beef or turkey jerky for snacking
    Fish
    Lean cuts of beef like filet mignon
    Lentils
    Beans