Can someone...

Options
take a look at my diary and tell me how I can fit more calories in without going over on sodium, protein, or fat?

Thanks!!

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Got to make it public :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    take a look at my diary and tell me how I can fit more calories in without going over on sodium, protein, or fat?

Thanks!!

It needs to be public.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Your profile is private, therefore no one can see your diary right now.
    You'll have to change it first.

:smile:
  • ziggy55311
    ziggy55311 Posts: 20
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about going over on sodium. The whole low sodium thing is a myth. Your body needs sodium to function. You also shouldn't worry about going over on protein. Protein is good for you. The more you eat of that the better. The default setting does not give you nearly enough protein anyway. Fat is also not the devil like people make it out to be. There are a lot of healthy fats that you can eat.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    you could make a giant salad :o) i've recently been making lunches of spinach leaves (20 cals), sliced mushrooms & green peppers (50ish), turkey breast (60), & using 100 cal packs of guacamole as dressing (100) & for under 250 cals, it's a delicious, nutritious, filling meal :o)
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about going over on sodium. The whole low sodium thing is a myth. Your body needs sodium to function. You also shouldn't worry about going over on protein. Protein is good for you. The more you eat of that the better. The default setting does not give you nearly enough protein anyway. Fat is also not the devil like people make it out to be. There are a lot of healthy fats that you can eat.

I agree with him about protein, but the sodium thing is not a myth. Your body does need sodium to function, but staying in the 1500-2500 is perfectly healthy (MFP is actually a little high, FDA suggests 1500mg). It also a known culprit to hindering weight loss (water retention, etc.).
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I agree with him about protein, but the sodium thing is not a myth. Your body does need sodium to function, but staying in the 1500-2500 is perfectly healthy (MFP is actually a little high, FDA suggests 1500mg). It also a known culprit to hindering weight loss (water retention, etc.).

Also depends on your training regime and your daily lifestyle. If you train every morning, and then work a construction job outside in the heat and are drinking lots of water and taking in only 1500mg of sodium, you are going to have a problem. (just using this as an example)
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    Also depends on your training regime and your daily lifestyle. If you train every morning, and then work a construction job outside in the heat and are drinking lots of water and taking in only 1500mg of sodium, you are going to have a problem. (just using this as an example)
    Agreed - lifestyle and activity level plays a huge part in ALL aspects of your diet (macro-nutrients and micros (like sodium))
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Not true.... too much sodium is not good for you.

In the UK, the recommended amount of salt for adults is 6g per day (= 2.4g / 2400mg sodium)

".... A study published in the scientific journal Hypertension in 2003 estimated that a reduction in salt intake to 6g per day would lead to a 13 per cent reduction in stroke and a 10 per cent reduction in ischaemic heart disease.

People who have experienced heart problems or have high blood pressure should follow a low-salt diet and take advice from their health care professional. Reducing sodium has been proven to be one of the best ways of lowering high blood pressure, especially in combination with broader dietary changes...."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_salt.shtml
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone-- my diary is public now.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about going over slightly on protein.

But if you want to add some calories, how about a glass of fruit juice?
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    raw almonds will give you 160 calories and 0 sodium. :) Orville Redenbacher's - Smart Pop! 94% Fat Free Butter - 100 Calorie Mini Bag has only 140 mg sodium.
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    The first thing that came to mind was veggies. I saw good fruit, yogurt, chicken (though maybe a little more lean protein couldn't hurt), but almost no veggies. Buy them fresh (no sodium) and they are low in calories but good on health (and filling you up). I looked about a week back and last Wednesday was incredible! If you added a couple servings of peas or corn in there, that is a truly impressive day and a good place to start. Good luck!

**EDIT - and a whole grain carb of some sort too since you are typically low there. A piece of wheat toast or something like that (besides the muffin for breakfast)
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!