Coconut oil - good or bad for you?

Options
I have read conflicting evidence on the Internet of the use of coconut oil to cook food. I usually use olive oil but once in a while use coconut oil too. Should I be using more of this?

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is fine for you. Anything is fine in moderation, after all ;)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that the balance of evidence still leans toward olive oil over coconut oil, but I have no sources to share. Avocado oil is an up and comer, especially for higher heat.
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love cooking with coconut oil. I occasionally drizzle extra virgin oil on a salad. But coconut oil is my go to
    Oil choice for food & skin...I've found great benefits for both uses.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    if i was using oil to cook, i'd use coconut as it's more heat stable. I use olive oil after cooking or on salads.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and olive oil are very close in terms of heat stability (smoke point). Here is a good summary:

Avocado oil: Smoke point: 520 degrees F. Use for searing, frying, grilling, roasting, baking and salad dressings. High in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat (70 per cent).
    Coconut oil: Smoke point: 350 degrees F. Use for sautéeing and baking. It’s high in saturated fat (86 per cent). The saturated fat in coconut oil raises LDL (bad) blood cholesterol, but not nearly to the same extent as butter. Coconut oil also seems to raise HDL (good) cholesterol.
    Extra virgin olive oil: Smoke point: 410 degrees F. Use for sautéeing and frying over medium-high heat, and salad dressings. A good source of vitamin E and antioxidants called polyphenols.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sec.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/smoke-point-matters-in-cooking-with-oil/article26569060/?service=amp?client=safari
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good in moderation, but remember that all oils are unique and are best used in different situations. Not all oils are meant for high-temp cooking, as they can burn.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil got a bad rap back when saturated fat was deemed dangerous and unhealthy. Now that (most) people know better, coconut oil is experiencing a resurgence of popularity.

I like coconut oil for my baking (and skin care). I like olive oil on roasted veggies.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have read conflicting evidence on the Internet of the use of coconut oil to cook food. I usually use olive oil but once in a while use coconut oil too. Should I be using more of this?

It is high in saturated fat (advised by my doctor to reduce it). I have to pass on coconut oil because I have cholesterol problems. I use olive oil instead.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with coconut oil! I eat it (add to a tea or coffee), cook with it, bath in it and use it as lotion. Since eating it in tea and using it as lotion, my skin has cleared up big time!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Rushgirl82 wrote: »
    I'm obsessed with coconut oil! I eat it (add to a tea or coffee), cook with it, bath in it and use it as lotion. Since eating it in tea and using it as lotion, my skin has cleared up big time!

I put it on my eyelashes and cuticles before I go to bed at night. My son conditions his guitars with it :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is fine. I use it if the taste works better than olive oil (I do use olive oil more).

A couple of good pieces: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I doubt there is anything wrong with it when eaten sensibly (within goals) but it's too expensive IMO. EVOO taste better and is cheaper.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I doubt there is anything wrong with it when eaten sensibly (within goals) but it's too expensive IMO. EVOO taste better and is cheaper.

I bought a huge 2.5 litre tub of extra virgin coconut oil at costco for $25 (in Canada). That'll last me months.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Rushgirl82 wrote: »

I bought a huge 2.5 litre tub of extra virgin coconut oil at costco for $25 (in Canada). That'll last me months.

I don't live near Canada. It's a lot more where I live. A tiny little jar is about $8.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

They taste different and there are some things coconut oil tastes better for, and other things EVOO, and other things that a less flavored oil is best for.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

They taste different and there are some things coconut oil tastes better for, and other things EVOO, and other things that a less flavored oil is best for.

Of course they taste different why else would I say EVOO tastes better? ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have familial hypercholesterolemia. I try to keep my saturated fats low even though plant sat fats aren't as bad as those from animals for my condition.

I prefer the taste of olive oil, to be honest, but for most people, it's a matter of preference really.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is one of the "healthy" trendy fads of last year. There is no benefit to using it.