Frozen Dinners

Options
I decided to change my lunch up a bit and get a few Marie Calendar Chicken Alfredo boxes. I've had them before but not since I've been eating better. What are your opinions on these and if unhealthy, what are some better alternatives? Thanks!

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I love frozen entrees and eat them regularly, even several years into maintenance now :) My favorites are Lean Cuisines, Chilis and Healthy Choice

https://www.leancuisine.com/products
    http://www.chilisathome.com/type/single-server-entrees/
    http://www.healthychoice.com/cafe-steamers
  • KJackson50
    KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yes they fit in my calorie allowance no problem. I've just heard a lot of people saying they're unhealthy for whatever reason and decided to ask around.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, the only thing I've noticed is they a lot of times have high sodium, but that may or may not be an issue for you. Otherwise, I agree, if they fit into your daily goals, go for it. They can be really convenient.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    have you read the nutritional information panel on the box? it will tell you there about fat, sodium and sugar content of the meal and you can decide if you think its healthy or not
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories... I have a Smart Ones meal & a side salad some days for lunch. I've bought different brands/meals and have a hard time remembering which ones I like or not. So I tend to repeat the few I know for sure are good.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those frozen meals (except high sodium if that is something you need to watch for medical reasons)! I usually microwave a bag of steam-in-bag veggies to add some bulk and make it more of a complete meal. Peas or broccoli go great with the Alfredo.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those frozen meals (except high sodium if that is something you need to watch for medical reasons)! I usually microwave a bag of steam-in-bag veggies to add some bulk and make it more of a complete meal. Peas or broccoli go great with the Alfredo.

Forgot to mention that in my pp-I also add frozen veggies to the entrees and I also add canned chicken sometimes as well :) I'm actually eating an entree with add-ins right now for lunch!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I cook, portion, and freeze my own meals. I buy them if I feel so inclined, but I have a ton of homemade meals in my freezer.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Check out Lean Cuisine Fit Kitchen - these seem to be bigger portions. Freezing your own meals is good too. They even sell (throw away) freezer containers at Wal-Mart.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Marie Calendar's Alfredo is delicious...actually most of her meals are great. I tend to gravitate more toward Lean Cuisine, just because they are often on sale for $2 or less and I can stock the freezer with them.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I eat them for lunch most days. They're great! Especially the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I keep a few in the freezer for emergencies. It reduces the temptation to nip down to Maccas.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Try Blake's and Amy's Kitchen.... I find the overall stats to be better and they taste way better IMO
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a food snob here but yuck!! I've never had a frozen meal that doesn't taste processed or full of salt. So much tastier to cook it yourself... I fell for it, I'll admit it.. that 200 promised calorie lunch, but then you unwrap that microwave safe plastic and you get what, dry chicken parts with some kind of "gravy", or freezer burn pasta? No thanks, even Amy's .. there's a few restaurants near me who sell prepackaged homemade but fresh meals, with low call/macros options- a bit more expensive than the 3.99!frozen special but tastes way better.. or make it yourself. Pinterest is all over that stuff..
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »
    Sorry to be a food snob here but yuck!! I've never had a frozen meal that doesn't taste processed or full of salt. So much tastier to cook it yourself... I fell for it, I'll admit it.. that 200 promised calorie lunch, but then you unwrap that microwave safe plastic and you get what, dry chicken parts with some kind of "gravy", or freezer burn pasta? No thanks, even Amy's .. there's a few restaurants near me who sell prepackaged homemade but fresh meals, with low call/macros options- a bit more expensive than the 3.99!frozen special but tastes way better.. or make it yourself. Pinterest is all over that stuff..

I'm lazy and have a pedestrian palate.

Frozen meals (mostly Jimmy Dean and Lean Cuisine) have worked wonderfully for me. I hold down my daily sodium intake by cutting sodium elsewhere.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it fits your calories, its fine.

the fact they are otherwise disgusting, is a personal opinion.

LOLOL
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen dinners for lunch at work, but I can't say that I enjoy them at all. But I am eating the lowest calorie, lowest sodium ones I can find. I did try to eat a Marie Callender's and a Stouffer's meal and I found the saltiness so high that I had to throw the meal out. It seemed worse that restaurant food as far as sodium content. Now I don't have any issues with sodium but I am apparently sensitive to the taste of it in these meals. Weird, I know.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

To each their own-I really like the taste of them, otherwise I wouldn't eat them. And I get them regularly on sale for under $2, not $3.99.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options

To each their own-I really like the taste of them, otherwise I wouldn't eat them. And I get them regularly on sale for under $2, not $3.99.

Yup. Combine a sale with coupons and you can stock up on them for less than $1.50 each, sometimes even under a dollar. That's part of why I love them. Convenient and inexpensive, and many of them are absolutely delicious (Marie Callender's pot pies are amazing).