Life Time Struggle, Time Running Out For Me

Options
Hey All
I'll be fifty this year. Pre-diabetic now. I've been on this weight-loss roller coast since I was ten. I'm only 5'5" and weight around 310 pounds. I'm depressed, stressed and scared. I started back at the gym last week and trying to eat better. (Again) So far it's been okay but I can stress eat and believe me, I have a lot of stress.
Hoping once again this is the time that works for me. But with a life-time of failing it's hard to stay positive.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Damian45 wrote: »
    Hey All
    I'll be fifty this year. Pre-diabetic now. I've been on this weight-loss roller coast since I was ten. I'm only 5'5" and weight around 310 pounds. I'm depressed, stressed and scared. I started back at the gym last week and trying to eat better. (Again) So far it's been okay but I can stress eat and believe me, I have a lot of stress.
    Hoping once again this is the time that works for me. But with a life-time of failing it's hard to stay positive.

Well I'm glad you're giving it another attempt, Damian.

For what it's worth I think it's normal to face some doubts when it comes to weight loss. Most people struggle with it quite a bit before they manage to succeed.

Nobody ever succeeded by giving up, and so you're doing the right thing by trying again.

Best of luck, you can do this dude.
  • MadamZelda
    MadamZelda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Never give up!
  • Damian45
    Damian45 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I know how you feel. Similar height and weight here. And have also battled obesity since I was a kid. I don't expect I will ever be skinny, but I would like to drop at least 100. Sent you a friend request.

I don't expect to be either. I just want to get out of the heart attack and diabetes danger zone. Also to stop taking five blood pressure pills a day would be nice.
  • eightdozenroses
    eightdozenroses Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One step at a time, one minute at a time, we can do this.
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    Options
    Hello,

You have made that first step by coming here. Log everyday even if it's just to check in. Get into a groove and log your meals, start building your foods. If you don't have a scale go get one so you can track your weight too. Make sure your scale is accommodating to your weight. Mine only goes to 250 lbs. I weigh everyday, when I don't I lose track of where I am and where I want to be even though some people say to never do that. It's up to you what makes you comfortable and I find more success with an everyday weigh in then I do a weekly. If you fall get right back up and start again. I understand major stress too and understand but try your best to stay positive. You can do this!!! I'm open to adding you as a friend if you'd like and my diary is open to my friends.

I have been on that same roller coaster since I was in my early teens. The only way for me to keep my weight in check is to be active but I have many issues with my body including my feet, back and hip. Not to even mention Fibro and other issues. I was 46 years old back in 2009, 5' 2" 278 lbs. With the help of my daughter and I doing weight watchers I lost 76 lbs over a 7 month period. Kept it off struggling with an up and down 10 lbs for 5 years. Then my health took a dive again when I moved 4 hours from my pain clinic, I wasn't able to get my hip and back treatments that keep me upright walking therefore wasn't able to move as much because I end up on the floor without them and gained 38 lbs back over a 2+ year period. No matter how much I tried I was up and down 10 lbs again but not keeping them off. I started logging seriously again May of last year, I had more devastating news about my hip problem which threw me into another depression. Took me a couple months to kick it to the curb but I finally did and am on my way again to losing this weight after putting some of it back on. It's been an up and down roller coaster again and as of today I am back at that original weight loss with 2 more lbs more for my goal. Then I will set another goal for 20 lbs. I happen to have an appt with my pain doctor tomorrow for my epidural. He will be really happy with me again because I have lost another 7 lbs since the last time I saw him for my hip treatment.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Limit your calories and plug in your numbers for a 2 pound loss per week. Get out and walk, build up to several miles a day. This will also relieve some stress. Make better food choices and you are going to have to stop binge eating. When I first started this I was doing great and losing weight all week. The weekend would come and I would reverse most of my reduction. Once I gained control over the weekend the weight came off fast. My current problem is I have been drinking too much alcohol and have put some weight back on. If I can reduce this one item I should be able to shake it off. Good Luck!
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just started back again myself. I can't believe how much I've gained in the last couple years. I'm almost at the weight I was when I was 9 months pregnant with my first child and I have no baby to show for it this time around! I started back at the gym two days ago and started tracking my food as well. Keep your goals in mind and keep moving forward even if you fall off momentarily. You are not alone. I stopped trying to get back to my 20-something self this time. I just want to be healthy and happy. At 48 I don't want to look 20 anymore. I just want to be able to walk up the stairs without heavy breathing and I would love to wake up with less aches & pains.
  • tomi1500
    tomi1500 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Damian - don't ever give up! You have what it takes to see this through. Find your purpose. Define your goal. Then never look away from those two points. Don't bring foods into the house that are going to tempt you or derail you. Losing weight is 80% diet 20% movement (or so I've read). Try to change your diet to a more paleo style diet. There are lots of websites to learn from on this topic. Diabetes can be reversed with a LOW CARB diet. This has now been proven with published research. If you have a good doctor - ask them about adrenal fatigue - get tested and start treatment if needed. Ask them about insulin resistance - get tested. Find a way to deal with the stress in your life.

Don't give up. Time is not running out............ 50 is not old!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    you are never too old or too late to take the first steps and then keep going I was 60 plus in may of 2008 when I started weight was 367 BP was 220/110 I was looking at a stroke or worse and the thought of a stroke which could leave me sitting in a corner unable to walk or talk scared me straight. In the beginning it was a chore to walk to the corner and back but I came here every day logged my food got my walk up the block and back a few times a day and over the first year made progress which helped me feel good about myself and so on over the years I started and stalled plateaus came and went anger at a lot but I kept walking further and further and now I will be 69 in two weeks I weight 188 swim 6 mornings a week up to 2 miles in the pool and run 4 or more days a week up to 5 or 6 miles at a time weight is down BP about 118/64 no MEDS ever YOU CAN DO IT keep repeating that and keep taking baby steps to get you life and health back. You ever want to chat PM me feel free to look at my profile or diary where you will see I am far from perfect but I am still doing it
    Good health and good losing
  • Damian45
    Damian45 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lots of great stories here. Thank you for the comments. They do help.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    These aren't just stories these are lives reclaimed by real people who are improving their life styles as the health improves I wish I was 50 when I started instead of 60 that's 10 years more I let go by trapped in a body that couldn't get around get off the floor if I fell walk up and down stairs easily a prisoner in my own body