Correcting old lady posture

I walk a lot. Tall One (my tall athletic daughter) tells me to straighten up! What is it that makes older people walk hunched over? I desperately want to correct this. I want to walk, and look, like a much younger version of myself. Bad posture is especially embarrassing because at 6' tall, I can't hide in the crowd!

Could someone offer suggestions for getting rid of classic old-lady posture?

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    I would start with going to physical therapy. Good posture is all about strength in your core, back etc. but a good PT can get you standing tall again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What does your doctor say? You could have osteoporosis or another condition that affects posture. Core strengthening helps improve many posture probs.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Getting your back cracked might help.
    Instructions: Lay down on the floor, on your stomach. Have your daughter straddle your lower back. Take a breath in, let it out and relax. Right after you let your breath out she should press down on your upper back with two fists, palms facing each other, on each side of your spine. She should put her weight into it a little. You can start light and increase the pressure with each subsequent attempt. I just know it takes a considerable amount of pressure, but it's relative to the individual. You can do it a couple times on different parts of your spine. If she feels any knots in your back, they can be dug out by firmly pressing a thumb or two in them and holding it for about ten seconds. It's pretty darn painful, and will have you a little sore there the next day, but it'll get the knot out. A knot feels like a knot under your skin to the fingertip. It can be really tiny or up to the size of your thumb.
    Once your back is cracked, it might feel easier to maintain a better posture.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Osteoporosis can cause "the hunch", I'm not sure if that can be fixed with exercise or not. It would be a good question for a PT. For me, I just pay a lot of attention to posture, try to remember to sit and stand straight because it's important to me, I want the muscles to stay strong.

I also wanted to say you look great for 75.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2017
    As noted above the most common cause of hunching in older people is bone loss (osteoporosis/penia). From what I've read on the subject it's pretty hard to grow bone the older you get, but I think there are some medications that can help with this.

I'd suggest talking to you doctor and having a DEXA scan if you haven't already. And talk to your doctor about safe resistance exercises for you (especially if you have bone loss). Resistance exercise plus proper diet can prevent further bone loss and improve muscle tone which also helps with posture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    As noted above the most common cause of hunching in older people is bone loss (osteoporosis/penia). From what I've read on the subject it's pretty hard to grow bone the older you get, but I think there are some medications that can help with this.

I'd suggest talking to you doctor and having a DEXA scan if you haven't already. And talk to your doctor about save resistance exercises for you (especially if you have bone loss). Resistance exercise plus proper diet can prevent further bone loss and improve muscle tone which also helps with posture.
    I'd do this before having your daughter climb on your back to crack it.

Just in case. B)

Then yes, resistance exercise. And Yoga or Pilates would be great.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Instructions: Lay down on the floor, on your stomach. Have your daughter straddle your lower back. Take a breath in, let it out and relax. Right after you let your breath out she should press down on your upper back with two fists, palms facing each other, on each side of your spine. She should put her weight into it a little. You can start light and increase the pressure with each subsequent attempt. I just know it takes a considerable amount of pressure, but it's relative to the individual. You can do it a couple times on different parts of your spine. If she feels any knots in your back, they can be dug out by firmly pressing a thumb or two in them and holding it for about ten seconds. It's pretty darn painful, and will have you a little sore there the next day, but it'll get the knot out. A knot feels like a knot under your skin to the fingertip. It can be really tiny or up to the size of your thumb.

This sounds dangerous. :noway:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2017
    In your profile photos you look pretty erect. Is it just a case of bad posture when walking?

I used to walk with a saggy tummy, head thrust forward, shoulders slightly rounded, bent forward with my but stuck out behind me.

It took slowing down and being conscious of my posture when I walked, constantly correcting it as I walked and started to slump.

Now I think- string on top of my head pulling me tall, abs engaged, glutes engaged, shoulders back, chin in.

You could look up some posture exercises, or have a couple of sessions with a PT and get some specific exercises to follow.

A little exercise I like to do a few times a day to alleviate my rounding shoulders (too much computer sitting) -

Stand with your back against the wall
    Put your arms out to your side in a 'L' shape at shoulder height, wrists and elbows in contact with the wall,
    Then raise your arms so they are straight over your head with your arms and elbows still in contact with the wall.
    Lower to starting position and repeat a few times.
    You may have to work on keeping wall contact.
    I find it gives me a nice quick upper body stretch on my bathroom breaks :)

@rainbowbow could you pop in with the info and videos you posted on Posture a week or so back please.

Cheers, h.

Ha! As I was practicing the wall exercise so I could write the discription @Hornsby posted a really good video covering the same thing.
    It really does help.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    There are also posture correction braces, basically they remind you to stand up straight, but core strengthening is a must too. My posture correction when I was younger came from my foster parents......"STAND UP STRAIGHT" think military....shoulders back, chest out, stomach in
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Yoga
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

Jeebus NO don't do this - cracking your back has nothing at all to do with your posture and you could seriously injure yourself by letting some completely untrained person mess around with your spinal cord!!

Cripes on a cracker, ugh, just no no no.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I agree with the idea of seeing either a physical therapist or even a personal trainer who is experienced in working with an older population.
  • pooey718
    pooey718 Posts: 13 Member
    I would try pilates. Speak to the instructor. Pilates is very good for posture.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2017
    Sorry for just seeing this. I would agree that the exercises hornsby suggested are probably helpful. I can't comment on your specific postural issue because i haven't evaluated you in person or in clear photos. What i would say is practicing incorporating good posture throughout the day, strengthening muscles overall, and beginning a stretching routine will be vital.

As we age it becomes incredibly important for us to maintain exercise, especially as women, to help with our mobility/ strong bones/ sex hormones/ and so so much more. When we place resistance on our bones through training it can assist in the remodeling of denser bone tissue assuming you have adequate levels of calcium, vit d, parathyroid hormone, growth hormone, etc.

In any case, nearly 55% of Americans over the age of 50 have osteoporosis and are serious risk for bone fracture. Don't chance it, start taking preventative measures now.

My recommendation: If you aren't yet, I would start a 3-4 x weekly full-body resistance training program, 3-4 time weekly cardiorespiratory training, and a daily stretching routine. Combined with a nutritionally adequate diet you can be assured you've lowered your risk for many preventative chronic diseases associated with aging.

If you suspect you have an actual issue, I agree to get a DEXA scan done and seek advice from a local physical therapist, trainer, or registered dietitian who can advise you further. In all of these cases, my recommendation is still in accordance with healthy lifestyle guidelines according to the US government and will be beneficial. ;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Sorry for just seeing this. I would agree that the exercises hornsby suggested are probably helpful. I can't comment on your specific postural issue because i haven't evaluated you in person or in clear photos. What i would say is practicing incorporating good posture throughout the day, strengthening muscles overall, and beginning a stretching routine will be vital.

As we age it becomes incredibly important for us to maintain exercise, especially as women, to help with our mobility/ strong bones/ sex hormones/ and so so much more. When we place resistance on our bones through training it can assist in the remodeling of denser bone tissue assuming you have adequate levels of calcium, vit d, parathyroid hormone, growth hormone, etc.

In any case, nearly 55% of Americans over the age of 50 have osteoporosis and are serious risk for bone fracture. Don't chance it, start taking preventative measures now.

My recommendation: If you aren't yet, I would start a 3-4 x weekly full-body resistance training program, 3-4 time weekly cardiorespiratory training, and a daily stretching routine. Combined with a nutritionally adequate diet you can be assured you've lowered your risk for many preventative chronic diseases associated with aging.

If you suspect you have an actual issue, I agree to get a DEXA scan done and seek advice from a local physical therapist, trainer, or registered dietitian who can advise you further. In all of these cases, my recommendation is still in accordance with healthy lifestyle guidelines according to the US government and will be beneficial. ;)

Most elderly people do not need, nor would it be wise to do, 7-8 fairly intense workouts per werk, especially if new to exercise.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2017
    lorrpb wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Most elderly people do not need, nor would it be wise to do, 7-8 fairly intense workouts per werk, especially if new to exercise.

i didn't say "intense" and i also didn't specify an amount of time...

p.s. i think it's pretty obvious, but i'll specify... "cardiorespiratory and resistance training tailored to your current level of fitness". If that means OP can only perform "sit and be fit" and a short quarter mile leisurely walk, then so be it.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Yoga
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Thank you everyone. Terrific suggestions. Well, not all terrific. Specifics.
    1. DEXA scans about a year ago. Bone density super.
    2. NEVER will anyone be allowed to crack my back! Nevah!
    3. I l.o.v.e PT. If I can only have one: a DR or a PT, give me the PT! I maxed out my physical therapy last fall following my knee operation. At that time, I asked for posture exercises too. PT told me core plus standing one-armed row using cable column.
    4. Hornsby. First, you inspire confidence when you tell me - this exercise wakes up your C3, this one ... etc. Not to mention, listening to your Aussie accent is a lot of fun.
    5. Middlehaitch and rainbowbow WOW! Great suggestions!
    6. Middlehaitch, you are right I need to keep thinking about posture and body position. I like your saying, "string on top of my head pulling me tall, abs engaged, glutes engaged, shoulders back, chin in". Just writing that made me sit up straighter! Also, when walking I think "quads engaged". I find I need this to keep knee pain @ a minimum. I'm now bone-on-bone in both knees. I think downhill skiing did the most damage, but figure skating didn't help. At the first knee op about 10 years ago, I had to promise surgeon I'd give up downhill. Xcountry still OK.
    7. Rainbowbow, I agree fully with your recommendation "I would start a 3-4 x weekly full-body resistance training program, 3-4 time weekly cardiorespiratory training, and a daily stretching routine." Prior to the most recent meniscus tear (Sept 2015), I had taken that into my own hands at the gym. I had my knee operation July 2016, and now I am seeing a much harder/longer recovery. Right after I return from the Galapagos, mid-February, I am going straight to the gym and get a trainer for a personal program.
    8. Regarding your statement, rainbowbow, "assuming you have adequate levels of calcium, vit d" - my DR measures my radiator levels periodically, and all I need right now is supplemental D3+B12.
    9. Lorpb, you say, "Most elderly people do not need, nor would it be wise to do, 7-8 fairly intense workouts per werk, especially if new to exercise." Heheh, you will realize when you get here - even though most people think 75 is old and decrepit, it ain't so! Most of us do not fit the mold. I'm 6 feet tall, fairly athletic, NOT retired, & run a business where we solve complex math problems all day long.

Thank you everyone!! This place rocks.