Does your gym have Wi-Fi?

Options
MsAmandaNJ
MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
My gym is underground, only place to get reception is at the bottom of the stairs. Sometimes I'll join the Wi-Fi from the restaurant upstairs to check/log MFP. I wonder, though, if other gyms have Wi-Fi for members. If it were available as an add-on (like towel service), would you pay for it?

Replies

• AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a member of 5 different gyms, the only one that doesn't have wifi is the most expensive one of them! Go figure!

Most gyms seem to be offering it now but I guess some just don't see it as valuable to them - it costs a fair bit for business wifi contracts.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    One of the gyms I go to has wi-fi but I rarely use it, except for maybe listening to music that I don't have downloaded to my phone. I usually log my stuff when I am done working out, I probably wouldn't pay extra to have it - but to each there own. If finding a gym with wifi will keep you going or keep you staying and working out longer, then that's great. My worry is that if all gyms had wifi, that there would be more people checking and sending emails, posting snap chats etc and just being on there phones more than working out.
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    My gym has it, don't ever use it. I do an logging/posting afterwards.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    One of the gyms I go to has wi-fi but I rarely use it, except for maybe listening to music that I don't have downloaded to my phone. I usually log my stuff when I am done working out, I probably wouldn't pay extra to have it - but to each there own. If finding a gym with wifi will keep you going or keep you staying and working out longer, then that's great. My worry is that if all gyms had wifi, that there would be more people checking and sending emails, posting snap chats etc and just being on there phones more than working out.
    Ha! Yeah, we need more people to just sit on the machines playing with their phones.

I have my tunes, that's all I need, but I see a lot of people on their phones and wonder how they manage to workout at the same time.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Ours has WiFi, and we use it. Our workout plan is on an app on our phone, and it requires an Internet connection. I also listen to iheartradio, which requires internet. Kinda nice not to use my mobile data while I workout.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I can kinda sorta see a random TWC WiFi hotspot from my gym, but it doesn't work well. My gym doesn't offer it. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but I'd be appreciative if they had it - being able to read the forums in between sets is nice, and MFP is such a friggin data hog.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. I don't go there to use the WiFi
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No, but my data works just fine at the gym (I use it to play my music). Probably wouldn't use a public gym wifi though even if they had it. I'm wary of public wifi.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My gym offers it, and it's free to members but not always very reliable.
    I use it for Jango radio mostly but I have been known to watch Netflix during a cardio session. I mostly lift so I find cardio a necessary evil but incredibly boring :/
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always find it amusing that the gym I pay most for doesn't offer it, yet - the public toilet in the town center does :lol: irony!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My worry is that if all gyms had wifi, that there would be more people checking and sending emails, posting snap chats etc and just being on there phones more than working out.

People do this without WiFi. They just eat up their mobile data...or stare off into space for 15 minutes between sets, get up, put their coat on the bench and leave, then come bake to sit and zone out some more. That happened this morning...when there was a line for the two flat bench press areas. Ugh.
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Mine does. Thank God I use it to listen to Pandora.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »

this.

I haven't given WiFi any thought while at the gym.

training? yes

wifi ..... nope
  • Manly_hood
    Manly_hood Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »

Exactly, you can stay at home and use wifi until you get fed up lol