New to a ketogenic diet looking for support!

Options
Hi all!

I am just starting a ketogenic diet with weightloss, mood enhancement and general wellbeing in mind. I am new to this way of eating and would love to hear of any blogs, recipes, support groups that you have come across and would recommend! Or just some pals along this journey!

A little about me: I just turned 30, I am 5'4", 158lbs with a BMI of 27.1 which.. falls into the over category :(. I am not obese by any means but I feel gross in my own skin as well as feeling sluggish, unmotivated, lethargic and generally glum. My goal weight is possibly an unrealistic one, but one where I was the happiest with myself, of 120lbs about 4 years ago.

Stress has been a huge factor in my weight gain, and some of that stress is still around today and not going anywhere, that being said, I am planning to take up yoga once or twice a week in order to try to ease some of it. I used to very frequently work out at the gym, but this downward spiral of weight gain has left me less and less motivated to even get to the gym. But, enough is enough! Time to turn my life around!

I have never done a ketogenic diet myself but i have family members that have for medical reasons and I've done a bit of reading on the subject and am ultimately excited to give it a go! I'm a big fan of Dave Asprey and everything he stands for and feel like I have a good handle on what's good to put in my body and whats not and why. But.. I don't know anyone, today, who is following a ketogenic lifestyle and would love for some support and motivation along the way!

Look forward to hearing from some of you!

Nathalie

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I am keto ....there is a LCD group full of awesome people that are low carb keto or whatnot .....please consider joining
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto The Low Carber Daily group is the best place to find other keto'ers. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck. :) I like dthe effects of keto on energy and cognition. I hope it helps.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Drink chlorophyll for fresh bread if you do keto
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am low carb vegetarian. Not exactly keto since I eat quest bars... but I still keep my net carbs to 5-10% a day as I find this is the easiest diet to stick to and I feel great on it. Feel free to add, my diary is open.
  • nathaliewild
    nathaliewild Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »

Hi what do you mean by this?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »

Hi what do you mean by this?

My guess is that she means fresh breath... Chlorophyll improves bad breath?

IMO, bad breath is more typical of a high protein diet than a high fat diet (like keto usually is). There are some who experience bad breath during ketosis, but I think they are the minority.
  • K_Anness17
    K_Anness17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    On facebook.... good groups that I am a part of are:
    90 day low carb challenge
    Keto adaptation
    Low carb traveller (Lynn terry)

There are some other good groups and pages. Very informative and helpful with recipes, before and after stories, etc. Good luck!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    thedietdoctor.com, ibreatheimhungry.com, irule.com all good websites for ketogenic eating