Lost Pylori and now I am losing weight finally

Options
briannadunn
briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
edited January 2017 in Success Stories
Was fighting a stomach and intestinal bacterial disease for 12 yrs according to my colon doctor. Despite eating well and exercising I was sick and not losing anything. I went from 182 to 258 as of today I am back to 245 thats down 9 lbs since my antibiotics to get rid of the disease. Now I got to work on upping my calorie intake and exercise now that I am recovering from everything. Next battle to get rid of my fatty liver syndrom and pre-diabetes.

Replies

• hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. Did it take that long to diagnose you or did you just think what was happening was 'normal'? I infrequently suffer from severe bloating and pain in the gut. It used to be more often but I have cleaned up my overeating and the types of food I consume but still have some symptoms from time to time. What are the usual symptoms of pylori?
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was told I had fatty liver and prediabetic in may and am no longer prediabetic...get liver checked next month...you can do it!!

my 12 year old has a lot of stomach issues...she's been told ibs, lactose intolerant etc recently went to allergist and was told she is allergic to 12 different foods but I'm not buying it. chicken potatoes broccoli turnips radish tje list goes on and on. she had a stomach bug that lasted 21 days and was never tje same after. does it take a collonoscopy to diognose?
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! It stinks that you were sick so long before finding out though. I was very sick but upper stomach and gallbladder. I had pain and nausea on and off for years when I ate. They did a biopsy and endo to check for HP but it was negative. I was diagnosed with celiac disease via the biopsy though. I lost haven't lost more than a pound since diagnosed in the spring but I've lost about 15" all over. I guess from decreased inflammation? It's horrible being sick and not knowing what the cause is. I'm glad you can finally heal.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    This is the first time I have ever heard of a stomach infection directly causing overweight. Do you have any links or references regarding this?

Maybe the OP has links, but I know it effects the way you break down and digest your food. Some people have weight loss and some weight gain. It has to do with the stomach acid and actually can be the cause of ulcers. I don't know a lot about it but I researched it when my doctor thought I had it or ulcers.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have had h pylori and it didnt effect me or weight loss(thats me though). now as for weight gain,I noticed that when I had it(before I knew I had it) I would eat and that would soothe it ,so is it possible that you were eating more than you thought? and that led to the weight gain? thats what happened to me. you said you were eating well and exercising,were you eating in a deficit? if not that could be why you didnt lose. it can cause stomach cancer.peptic ulcers, and other health issues and it can come back, it can also be spread to family members as well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4177463/ http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/456277

I know that when mine was treated I lost some of the weight because I was eating less. not saying that this is your experience.for me I felt hungry because the pain felt like hunger pains a lot of the time.
  • briannadunn
    Options
    Actually, I had such an advance form that my system was being affected. I didn't change my eating or my exercise. The difference was I could finally eat salads with no pain, I could process fruit, my inflammation is slowly coming down to normal. I think the weight loss is contributed to the inflammation everywhere that the H-pylori was infecting. I have tried 6 Doctor perscribed diets and lifestyle changes over the course of 3 yrs and gained weight and my inflammation kept growing. Now, I feel like a totally different person. I don't feel tired and ill for the first time in 12 yrs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Actually, I had such an advance form that my system was being affected. I didn't change my eating or my exercise. The difference was I could finally eat salads with no pain, I could process fruit, my inflammation is slowly coming down to normal. I think the weight loss is contributed to the inflammation everywhere that the H-pylori was infecting. I have tried 6 Doctor perscribed diets and lifestyle changes over the course of 3 yrs and gained weight and my inflammation kept growing. Now, I feel like a totally different person. I don't feel tired and ill for the first time in 12 yrs.

glad you are feeling better.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What antibiotic did they put you on and for how long?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AuntFreesa wrote: »
    What antibiotic did they put you on and for how long?

they usually put you on 2 antibiotics(it varies by person and what you may be allergic to) and a PPI or an acid reducer.usually you take it for 2 weeks but in extreme cases Im sure its longer.
  • briannadunn
    Options
    I was on three antibiotics, I will have to look, plus a anti-ulcer medication. They were a new type of antibiotics so I can't remember the name. I am allergic to sulfers and penicillin so they couldn't prescribe me amoxicillin and the other one they were going to put me on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I was on three antibiotics, I will have to look, plus a anti-ulcer medication. They were a new type of antibiotics so I can't remember the name. I am allergic to sulfers and penicillin so they couldn't prescribe me amoxicillin and the other one they were going to put me on.

Im allergic to those 2 things also. cant remember what they put me on either,I was on 2 antibiotics and a PPI.I was having a lot of acid reflux and they said I most likely had an ulcer and then they tested me for that. the bad thing about it is that it can come back I think its said more than 75% of the worlds population has it and doesnt know it
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Care76 wrote: »
    This is the first time I have ever heard of a stomach infection directly causing overweight. Do you have any links or references regarding this?

Maybe the OP has links, but I know it effects the way you break down and digest your food. Some people have weight loss and some weight gain. It has to do with the stomach acid and actually can be the cause of ulcers. I don't know a lot about it but I researched it when my doctor thought I had it or ulcers.

I treat H.pylori. It does not affect digestion (since this occurs mostly in the small intestine) and also does not affect weight loss/gain. It is coincidental and anecdotal.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

I treat H.pylori. It does not affect digestion (since this occurs mostly in the small intestine) and also does not affect weight loss/gain. It is coincidental and anecdotal.

This was my understanding as well. I went through this with my mom a few years ago, and although it took some time to get a proper diagnosis, once we did she improved rapidly with medication.

Are you a physician, @cathipa as your post indicates? If so, it's always a bonus to get an educated medical perspective here. :)

Edited to add: @briannadunn - so glad you are finally feeling better, and have a proper diagnosis.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

you treat it as in being a doctor?
  • cathipa
    Options

GI Physician Assistant
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

GI Physician Assistant

As a fistulizing crohn's disease patient I have no idea why anyone would want to deal with GI stuff ;) it's not exactly pleasant to say the least lol
  • cathipa
    Options

GI Physician Assistant

As a fistulizing crohn's disease patient I have no idea why anyone would want to deal with GI stuff ;) it's not exactly pleasant to say the least lok

Sorry about that! Was in the ER for 7 years before GI. Wanted more normal hours. I've been in GI for 10 years and enjoy it :smile:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

GI Physician Assistant

As a fistulizing crohn's disease patient I have no idea why anyone would want to deal with GI stuff ;) it's not exactly pleasant to say the least lol

Sorry about that! Was in the ER for 7 years before GI. Wanted more normal hours. I've been in GI for 10 years and enjoy it :smile:

Definitely more regular hours than er! I'm glad you enjoy it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!