Advice on working out alone

Options
2»

Replies

• Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" the predators(creepy perverts) of the world look at me the way a lioness looks at an injured gazelle, I have a conceal carry permit and I carry. I have a holster that fits under my bra line and around my waist. I started to carry at all times after someone offered to help me "exercise" and wouldn't take no for an answer I can tell you breath spray in the eyes works. If you can't get pepper spray there are other things you can use bear spray, cheap body spray, basically anything you can spray in someones eyes. Good luck.

I've thought about doing that but I haven't been able to find a holster that I felt would be safe enough. Where did you get yours or do you think they would be available online?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I would either:
    - find a different part of town again, or maybe a different time of day. Look for somewhere that other people go to exercise too like a park and go when it's busy with families or dogwalkers etc.
    - look for a running group
    - join a gym or get a treadmill. I think that is a very boring way to run, but it's better than risking your personal safety.

I would absolutely and definitely not go down the path of carrying a weapon, but then I don't live in the US (I'm assuming you do) and we have a very difficult culture around weapons.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The city I used to live in it seemed to be pretty normal for dudes in cars to roll up on you and offer a ride or ask for your number. It's like they had no clue how totally creepy that is. I've only been followed once while on a bike. I ended up pulling into some random back yard to get away from the guy. I attempted to get his plate so I could call the cops but he had no tags. I'm American, but I would never consider carrying a weapon unless I was comfortable with killing another person. I'm not. I do carry my phone in my hand or jacket pocket while out running. Just pointing the camera at someone could be enough to get them to stop a bad behavior. If not take their pic and call the cops. If perverts following you is routine where you live the pepper spray sounds like a good idea. I've always had the best luck exercising in crowded parks. I've never had anyone bother me that wasn't in a car.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Nope. I always workout alone. I've only been bothered a couple times, and it was by an old (maybe homeless) man who just wanted money or a ride. He eventually stopped hanging out there(and I had mentioned him to the police so perhaps they talked to him.

Do you really get followed while running? As for the yoga, maybe just do it in a more discreet location.

Yes I do, it's only happened a few times but it's really scary and uncomfortable when it does. Yesterday I was running and I noticed a guy following me in his car. It went on for a few minutes before I really paid attention to it but when I looked at him he was staring at me and jacking off. I know he didn't actually try to harm me but it made me really afraid to go run by myself.

try and get the make and color of the car and the license plate and turn him in. if hes doing it to you chances are hes doing it to others.
  • steph1234523456
    steph1234523456 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Find the nearest YMCA and run around the perimeters of the parking lot . I did that today. Walked, didn't run. But people there understand and shouldn't be harassing you. Also hit the record button on your phone when being harassed and take pictures (video).
  • Thafitgod
    Thafitgod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    [Get a work out partner..
    quote="jennamburchette2014;10503032"]I love running and doing yoga outside but I usually don't have anyone to workout with me. I usually go to a nice area in town and run beside the road since the only track in my town is in a bad location. However, there has been more that I have been followed and harassed when I was excersing. Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal with it and stop it from happening?[/quote]

• Thafitgod
    Thafitgod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone in Oklahoma need a workout partner or a run buddy. I'm available
    I'm a amateur boxer and trainer