I need to add vegetables to my diet, please help.

Options
TyatKU
TyatKU Posts: 31 Member
I'll say it, I rarely if ever eat veggies. Ive put on 10 pounds in 5 months, and I know its because all I eat is fried food and carbs.

For someone that doesn't enjoy eating veggies and did not grow up eating them, what would you recommend me starting with? Im a bachelor and work long hours, so something that doesn't take much preparation. Thanks for all the help!

Replies

• ChocoboJaz
    ChocoboJaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways and it depends on what kind of diet you're going to, low carb? Just reduced calories? Etc
    Best way is look online for children's hidden veg recipes, things like hidden veg lasagne, hide spinach in meatballs, blend veg into your mash or sauces, veg in cheese sauce etc :)
    Best advice is keep eating them, the worst thing is after years of not eating them you have psychologically told yourself you won't like them so I would keep forcing yourself to eat them, find seasonings and flavours to eat with them, mix your food on your fork and I find looking up how that vegetable is good for your health can motivate you to eat it, I'm rather lucky I love vegetables, but I was also previously a chef so I know how to make them taste good too, if you're not keen on veg eat more fruit too, again hide it in your food if needed :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I just recently ate the best radishes ever and I would have never thought to cook them. Quarter the radishes and fry in oil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (Olive, Coconut, or Avocado are the healthiest). If you have never had radishes made like this then you are in for a treat. Takes the bitterness away.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you have gained weight, it's because you have consistently eaten more calories than you have expended, not because you have eaten too few vegetables.

That said, vegetables is good for you. Just because you haven't done something before, it doesn't mean you can't start doing it. We tend to like what we are used to. Preferences can change, habits can change. Attitude is everything.

Preparation is everything, too :D But cooking, or "cooking", doesn't have to take a lot of time. But you may have to plan and organize better.

Figure out what you want to eat and how you can incorporate more vegetables into those meals. You can google recipes that contain vegetables. You can sneak in chopped vegetables into lots of dishes. You can add raw vegetables to your meals. You can make vegetable soups and blend them, if texture is difficult.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I grate carrot, onions and peppers into bolognese, lasange, chili, stew, casserole. you'd be surprised how filling it makes the sauces!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    What do you eat now?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Quick and easiest for me are frozen veggies. Throw a serving in a bowl, add a small pat of butter, cover with a vented microwave cover and pop in the microwave for 2-4 mins. It steams them so they're still a bit crisp and not boiled to much like I thought vegetables were "supposed to be". My go-tos are green beans and mixed veg (that one's good tossed in some wild rice) and my son loves broccoli. I love carrots, but still haven't gotten to the point I like them cooked so I just get the bag of baby carrots and grab a handful or two.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1. Soup is a great way in to eating veg. It can be eaten as it is or used as a sauce for cooking meat/ having on rice/pasta.

-You can buy veg soups - but it is really easy to make soup even if you are busy.

-There are 'soup-makers' available - where you put in the veg and leave them to work. Sounds good if you can afford it.

-I often use a slow cooker - put in chopped veg/stock or water/butter/herbs, go away for the day - return and either eat as it is or use a stick blender to make it all smooth in the pot.

-Making veg soup in a pan only takes a little chopping time and 20 mins of simmering.

2. Baked veg is lovely and very easy to prepare. It goes well with baked fish/meat or just on its own with rice/pasta.

I put chopped veg (sweet potato/turnip/carrot/sprouts/courgettes/squash... )on an oiled tray with garlic/herbs/spices salt and pepper then drizzle oil over (Walnut or olive oils are good.)
    Bake at 200C for about 30 mins (depends on how big the pieces are and whether you like it crispy or soft.)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because you ate more than you burned. What you ate had no bearing on it.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TyatKU wrote: »
    I'll say it, I rarely if ever eat veggies. Ive put on 10 pounds in 5 months, and I know its because all I eat is fried food and carbs.

For someone that doesn't enjoy eating veggies and did not grow up eating them, what would you recommend me starting with? Im a bachelor and work long hours, so something that doesn't take much preparation. Thanks for all the help!

Here's what I do. I'm a widow, live alone, and had to curb the restaurant eating so I could control my food and improve my health. I don't care for cooking and don't make recipes. My meals have to be simple or I won't make them at home.

(1) Buy some Tupperware or similar plastic containers. You can get them in most grocery stores. You can see what's inside them.

(2) I buy a lot of yellow and green summer squash, carrots, tomatoes, eggplant, and leafy greens like kale and collards.

Stay away from baby carrots -- they are not real baby carrots, but waste carrots that couldn't be sold due to their shape. They are whittled down and marketed as baby carrots, and dipped in chlorine or some other funky chemical to keep them from rotting since their skin was removed. They don't taste good unless you add dressing or something to them.

(3) Chop up the hard vegetables so they will cook quickly. This literally takes about 5 minutes or less. Compare it to watching 2 TV commercials -- it does not take a lot of time. Keep enough for several meals in the plastic containers.

(4) I simmer the vegetables for one meal in a saucepan, just so they are cooked. I don't cook them until mushy. You don't have to stand there and watch them cook.

(5) After they are cooked, I sprinkle on seasoning, like McCormick's Perfect Pinch garlic, bell pepper & red pepper, or garlic salt, or some kind of soy sauce or tamari.

(6) I steam the leafy greens on top of the simmering vegetables. I don't cut those up ahead of time.

I hope this gives you some ideas. You can also make large salads and throw everything in them -- baby spinach, cherry tomaroes, larger tomatoes, black olives, sliced avocadoes, etc., whatever you like.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didn't grow up eating lots of vegetables, either. My family just isn't big on them. Needless to say, when I became an adult and realized I needed to start incorporating more veggies into my diet, I hated just about everything I tried. It's been a few years since and I'm still really, really picky, but I've managed to add a few staples into my diet through sheer determination.

I would suggest buying a *kitten* ton of different vegetables and preparing them in different ways to see if you can find anything you like/tolerate/etc, and then incorporating whatever makes the cut into your favorite dishes (if they mesh). It might also help to dribble some sort of favorable sauce/condiment on them until you reach a point where you can eat them without any add-ons. Slow + subtle exposure was what worked for me. I learned to like a lot of vegetables I didn't that way. I mean, I still hate most of them, but at least I have about 15 or so now that I can eat on the regular.

Since you don't have much time to cook, meal prepping during the weekend might be doable for you, if you're up to it. Spend a few hours cooking on Sunday and you won't have to worry about at least one veggie-laden meal for the majority of week. I'd also recommend searching the web for quick and simple dishes--instagram, pinterest, and youtube are my go-to places for inspiration, but skinnytaste and fastsecret are also great resources. And most recipe-sites give you an rough approximation of the time it takes to cook a specific meal, so there's that.

Oh! Smoothies are also a great way to add veggies to your diet! I like to follow a 2/3 veggies + 1/3 fruit ratio. If you choose fruits strong in flavor and mild vegetables, you'll barely be able to taste the vegetables at all. Yum.

Good luck!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

Stay away from baby carrots -- they are not real baby carrots, but waste carrots that couldn't be sold due to their shape. They are whittled down and marketed as baby carrots, and dipped in chlorine or some other funky chemical to keep them from rotting since their skin was removed. They don't taste good unless you add dressing or something to them.

This is not true. "Baby" carrots are a narrow type of carrot that are cut into set lengths. They have a smaller core and are a bit sweeter than the usual carrot. The rounded edges come from them being rolled around together to polish each other (Like rocks in a tumbler). The "Chlorine" they are washed in is no more than allowed in standard tap water. The waste from the carrots go into animal feed.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Bird Eye makes great packages of frozen veggies, (steamed one) you can just throw in microwave for 5-6 seconds and eat. I wasn't much on veggies either. But I will now eat broccoli, broccoli/cauliflower, green beans, riced cauliflower. I mix 1 cup of them or more into my meal and I actually enjoy it. (I usually mix with my food as then I don't need extra butter or seasoning)
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @TyatKU
    My husband wouldn't eat veggies if I didn't put them on his plate. Stir fries are great and easy to prepare. I buy frozen mixed veg and it is so quick and easy. Add some lean protein and you are set. You do have to watch the sauce you use but a little goes a long way. If you use a prepared teriyaki or ginger/garlic you will get a lot of flavor and notice the veggies less. Depending on your carb situation you can either serve over rice or just eat as is.
    My husband also likes broccoli roasted in the oven. Just a little drizzle of olive oil and at the end a drizzle of honey and balsamic and he'll eat it all night long. Like @postchrysalis said, just try some until you find what you like. Salads are easy too and can be purchased ready made or in bags ready to eat. You have to keep an eye on the dressing, I always measure. I am currently addicted to Kraft Berry Balsamic (2 Tbsp = 70 cals)
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut is really useful to have in the cupboards. Tastes great, zero preparation (unless you make your own) and fermented foods have been shown to be good for health.

You can also stick it in or on just about anything.
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    California Mix (Broccoli, Carrots and Cauliflower) or Winter Blend (same minus Carrots) add well into various recipes... Here are my two favorites:

1) Brown rice cooked in broth or water with a couple bouillon cubes / packs, my go-to spices (Italian seasoning, garlic, crushed red pepper), and the vegetables (actually made this last night for lunch the rest of the week).
    2) This one should be rite up your "Fried" alley... Hashbrowns with diced onions, your choice of seasonings, the veggies and melted cheese.

Either of these re-heat well enough that you can have more than one meal out of what you cook. Add a chicken breast on top of the rice and you could pass date night as a gourmet chef... or at least someone you can surprise her from time to time with a good meal!! ;-)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »
    Sauerkraut is really useful to have in the cupboards. Tastes great, zero preparation (unless you make your own) and fermented foods have been shown to be good for health.

You can also stick it in or on just about anything.

You need the type that's kept in the fridge for the gut health benefits...

OP.... Most vegies taste amazing roasted. Even Brussel sprouts and Broccoli! Cauliflower is amazing too. We roast big trays of mixed vegies, with a little oil, herbs and spices - portioned out, they are handy to add to salads or to reheat.

Im not a fan of soggy, steamed/boiled vegies, so often keep things on the crunchy side (lightly steamed, or stir fried) - work out what textures you like!

Sauces help too, as does cheese :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I like roasted vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, onion, eggplant, peppers (I'm not a fan, but others do), splash with a bit of olive oil - maybe a tablespoon at most depending on how much you're preparing. sprinkle with salt & pepper and mix to incorporate. Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 min, toss, back in the oven for another 10-20 min. And they are wonderful.

I also love mashed cauliflower. cut up the florets - discard the green leaves and inner core. Steam for 20-30 min. Add to a food processor and add in any of the following.. a T. of cream cheese, butter, a dollop of sour cream, a tablespoon or two of parmesean cheese, roasted garlic. Add in a teaspoon or less of salt - you can always add more. My favorites are cream cheese, butter & roasted garlic (or you can add a clove in the steamer - just don't add raw, it's too intense).

Also a fan of soup - but that can be a bit daunting. Look up recipes on pinterest or some of the blogs - skinnytaste gets a lot of good reviews, but I haven't made any of her recipes.

Good luck, and keep trying different vegetables prepared in new ways. Sometimes it takes a few trys - some people like their vegetables mushy, some a bit more crunchy.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love steamed vegetables, but not without a pat of butter and sometimes a shake of parmesan cheese. How you dress them can be a big difference in palatability.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

You've gained weight because you're eating more calories than your maintenance calorie level. What kinds of foods you're eating to make up those excess calories doesn't matter though, nor does your carb intake. Weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance comes down to calories.

Veggies are great though, because besides having nutrients they also can make meals more filling for a low amount of calories! I love frozen veggies and I add them to just about everything! You can add them to eggs, rice, noodles, frozen entrees, stir-fries and the list goes on. Fresh veggies are also great in salads and as snacks. Last night for supper I had a huge salad with fresh spinach, mini sweet peppers, mushrooms, bacon and low calorie Italian dressing. Paired it with a toasted Brownberry sandwich thin and low calorie pepper jack cheese spread. A very filling supper for under 500 calories :)

Just experiment with different veggies and see what you like!