Feeling Hopeless.....

Options
I've been trying to lose and maintain weight for as long as I can remember. I'm 32, and I've been trying since at least 9th grade in high school.

My most recent biggest loss was from 280lbs to 202 lbs back in 2013. I gained it all back- plus some. Now, here I sit again. Struggling to find the ways to make it through my days with a smile. Feeling hopeless that I'm not capable of beating this soul crushing issue I have.

I hate being an addict. I hate needing food to live. I can't enjoy it in moderation like most people. That's what always gets me. Whenever I'm doing well with my eating (which is my biggest obstacle since I LOVE to work out. Even now. I work out every day.) , ultimately, I end up giving in to the notion that everyone should eat "everything in moderation". Why is it so hard for people to understand that I can't? I can't eat rice in moderation because it makes me binge eat on other foods. I can't eat pizza in moderation. I can't eat chocolate or cake in moderation. Would people tell a meth addict to do meth in moderation? Hopefully not. Why then, do they push this mentality on me? On us who struggle with this??

Replies

• Emmers5216
    Emmers5216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel as though I am in a similar situation to yours. In 2010/2011 I was 260 pounds. I changed my diet completely and got to 200. Since about 2014 I've gained all my weight back plus some. I'm tired of being unhealthy, I've pretty much always eaten whatever I wanted and not cared. Seeing my weight steadily rise is depressing, I have trouble eating smaller portions and my will power is just pathetic. I'm trying to make small changes slowly but surely. I find that cutting out certain foods completely makes me more likely to fail and go overboard on eating. I drink a lot of pop, but I've switched it out for mostly water and occasionally Coke Zero so I'm not wasting calories on my drinks. I've only been at this for two weeks but small changes have helped me lose weight so far. It's helpful for me have someone support me through this, maybe there's someone you could try to tackle this with or even talk with people online? I hope this was helpful knowing that you are not alone, this is a difficult and long journey but I'm sure you know it's one to a healthier happier life! Good luck!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose and maintain weight for as long as I can remember. I'm 32, and I've been trying since at least 9th grade in high school.

My most recent biggest loss was from 280lbs to 202 lbs back in 2013. I gained it all back- plus some. Now, here I sit again. Struggling to find the ways to make it through my days with a smile. Feeling hopeless that I'm not capable of beating this soul crushing issue I have.

I hate being an addict. I hate needing food to live. I can't enjoy it in moderation like most people. That's what always gets me. Whenever I'm doing well with my eating (which is my biggest obstacle since I LOVE to work out. Even now. I work out every day.) , ultimately, I end up giving in to the notion that everyone should eat "everything in moderation". Why is it so hard for people to understand that I can't? I can't eat rice in moderation because it makes me binge eat on other foods. I can't eat pizza in moderation. I can't eat chocolate or cake in moderation. Would people tell a meth addict to do meth in moderation? Hopefully not. Why then, do they push this mentality on me? On us who struggle with this??

Perhaps get some counseling ? I think I understand what your saying though as I use to eat that way myself. I am still learning. I went on nurtrisystem or I imagine any portioned meal plan would have done, or you can. It has helped me learn to eat less and still allows me plenty veggies to fill up on and snacks, like popcorn, brownies, chocolate ice cream, but they are prepackaged so I only ate the allowed amount. (you will run out if you eat to many then you will have nothing) LOL Anyway it has worked for me but I also set my mind up that I can do this. I think so much of it is your mental outlook so you have to decide to do it. I am in my 60's now so I see how it affected my health. I now will need knee replacement probably due to all the extra weight I put on them plus genetics of course. You can do this when you decide this is what you want.
  • Damian45
    Damian45 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. Fighting my weight since I was a kid. My teen years I was pretty lean thanks to my bike. Once I hit my thirties the weight came on fast. This is the first time I'm actually using the community of MFP to help me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, you say you can't eat in moderation. OK-- then you eliminate, and what happens eventually is that you binge, go off the rails, and gain it all back plus some friends. You HAVE to learn to eat in moderation if you want to be successful long term (no more yo-yoing). I'd really work on this if I were you. Alot of people have learned to do it and are successful--do a search. Saying you can't means you don't try. Yes, you may have to eliminate a couple of things for say, a month, but then try to work them in. Keep trying, consistency means getting to goal, but it's not just that, it's keeping the weight off. Good luck.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat everything in moderation. It's a great strategy for some people, but for others it doesn't work at all. In other cases, after eliminating a food for awhile, people are able to add it back in.

Everyone does things a little different. My husband and I both use different approaches to tasks that work best for the way our brains work, and that doesn't make one way the "correct" way, especially when the same end result is achieved. So why would we have the same approach to eating?

I know you've heard the same lines about moderation - "are you really not going to eat (insert food here) for the rest of your life?" It's a little silly when you think about it - you don't eat foods you don't like for the rest of your life, even though others might love them, and you end up just fine. So why wouldn't you apply the same idea to foods which don't benefit you in any way?

If you would prefer to eliminate a food from your diet because that's what you need to be successful, then do it. Weight loss takes time, which means you'll have plenty of opportunity to work on why you overeat certain foods and decide what foods you really want in your life. You can experiment by trying to add foods back in if you want. Or, you could try alternative recipes for those foods that use different ingredients and see if that is a good workaround. Or, you might decide that you want the real deal, but you make a point of having it on a special occasion only or when you have planned ahead to leave plenty of extra calories.

Do what works for you and don't worry about how anyone else thinks you should do it.
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First of all I sympathize with you. When I was taking my nursing classes we learned the SUGAR is the most addictive thing on the planet. The fact that you work out seemingly just as much as you binge makes me think that you may need to get some professional help. Something in your life could be causing your actions when it comes to food. Even more to that point maybe someone in your life is causing you to yo yo-yo and eat this way. The most important person in your life is you. So I say get some help and keep working out. Surround yourself with people with the same goals. Get someone to partner with you. I think you should even try to meal prep. Maybe that will help you make healthier choices if you stack the right foods in your fridge and portion them out that just might help you. Don't stress just keep moving and remember your are the most important person in your life.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow, I felt like I was reading my own weight loss/gain story! I first came to MFP back in 2011. My start weight was 273 and I managed to lose 83 lbs, which brought me down to 190. I maintain that weight loss for well over a year!! It wasn't until 2015/2016 that I went food crazy again. I fell into a depression and let's just say that today I weigh 270 lbs. I basically gained all my weight back! I wanted to let you know that you are not on this journey alone! I, too, feel upset on most days. I let my weight control my mood. I avoid social activities and dating because I am disappointed in how I look and feel. I'd rather sit at home and eat inside of going out. When I do go out, I fake smile but I'm miserable the whole time. At least we both have acknowledged that we have a problem with food and at least we are here and TRYING to do something about it. I have not figured out what the solution is (obviously), but I won't stop trying until I do. I do know that we have control over food and it doesn't have control over us. WE control what foods we put in our mouths everyday...we just have to make better choices. I truly believe that this is the time we will overcome this food addiction for once and for all! :)
  • Booper21
    Booper21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater so when I am really stressed just about anything I can get in my mouth will do. I have been tracking my food in take but find that I can not even reach my calorie intake. Most of the time I am to low, as I am very conscious of every little thing I eat to be sure I stay in the range. This in itself in very stressful. After I enter my exercise for the day then I have a even bigger gap as the calories I have burned are then added back to the amount I need to reach. I can feel the others pain in this discussion but I feel that I am just going in a circle and never accomplishing anything. I am looking for suggestions to break the circle.
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    When I was taking my nursing classes we learned the SUGAR is the most addictive thing on the planet.
    This says it all.....SUGAR is not your friend! Reduce your sugar intake and you are well on your way to becoming healthier.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Would people tell a meth addict to do meth in moderation? Hopefully not. Why then, do they push this mentality on me? On us who struggle with this??

Well meth isn't food so.....

There's no correlation there. We need food to live. It's not the same thing. People don't require meth to sustain life.

I am pretty sure the correlation that OP is trying to make is that she is addicted to food, and just as you wouldn't tell an addict of a drug to have it in moderation, it is hard to have food in moderation when you have a food addiction. The main issue with that is we actually need food to survive.

You're missing the point.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have you sought professional help or a support group for your binge eating problem? If you don't develop new tools to change your behavior and new coping skills you will repeat your pattern.
    You might need to do this process in more steps.
    In terms of weight loss, set your goal for no more than 1 lb a week. Then just start logging everything you consume as accurately as you can.
    Plan meals. Try pre-logging food so you can see if a food meets your goals. Stick to your calorie deficit as best you can.
    Work on meeting your protein goal and eating more vegetables.

If you have trouble moderating certain foods you can abstain from eating them or find lower calorie substitutes. If rice is an issue you might try cauliflower rice. There are lots of great meals that don't have rice. I'm going to guess you can moderate some foods just fine so focus on those.
    Give it time. You have an issue that will take time to change in a sustainable way. Don't expect perfect every day. Learn to log, look at it and move on.