Rapid weight gain caused by ecigs?

2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    erreco wrote: »
    @mph323

Yep, I sure did. Clearly, it's an ongoing concern for others. And clearly, it was still open for replies, so why wouldn't I have the freedom to well, reply?

So like, you make all the rules for the Internet? If a post is two years old that renders it "dead" and one shouldn't reply ever again? I don't understand, no one ever told me about this rule.

Well the op hasn't been here for a long time so giving them advice isn't going to help. I'm sure they figured it out by now. Also it isn't an ongoing issue as no one has replied in 2 years...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2017
    erreco wrote: »
    @LAWoman72

You are actually on to something! Not only is there this study, but also, propylene glycol is an endocrine disrupter. Meaning, it can cause weight gain and inevitably make it impossible to lose said weight. Anyone can look it up, this is a fact!

When I first started vaping, I was telling everyone how amazing it is and how it helped me quit smoking, and blah blah, and I am grateful for that. But I'm on a STRICT diet (with guidance of a licensed dietician) of seafood and veggies, healthy fats, and few fruits, and averaging around 1,200 calories per day, and I'm already quite thin, just dealing with some food sensitivities.

I quit vaping a few months ago. And once I started again a month ago, I suddenly gained a lot of weight, WHILE ON (WORLD'S HEALTHIEST) SAID DIET! I haven't smoked a cigarette for well over a year so it has nothing to do with that.

It is now strongly suspected by both myself and my dietician that this was disrupting endocrine function. I've already lost some weight just from putting the vape down -- while maintaining the same exact diet AND lifestyle. Hm... Peculiar? I think NOT.

This doesn't mean it will affect everyone the same way, so who is to say whether or not it is affecting someone else differently? It seems there's a lot of people in here who think they're more knowledgeable than they actually are. Stop being so closed-minded! Just because it works for you, doesn't mean someone else is an idiot for suspecting it doesn't work for them. There's some validity to this!

Propylene glycol is a chemical, "dudes!" You're straight inhaling chemicals! Why do you think there are labels on beauty products that say "no propylene glycol"? That's because it actually IS harmful and it's still getting absorbed into the blood stream and can wreak havoc for some. Just like sugar wreaks havoc for diabetics but not so much for non-diabetics. Get it?

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

My n=1 to counter yours: I've vaped for about four years now. During that time I gained quite a bit of weight, and then have also lost over 60 pounds in the past year or so. My vaping habits have never changed during that entire time except that I've gradually lowered the nicotine level I use. What changed was my food intake (calories in) and exercise/activity level (calories out), which was what allowed me to lose the weight. I have never experienced any unexplained weight gain or other health issues which could be attributed to vaping (but I've certainly experienced a great improvement in my health, fitness and overall wellness since I quit smoking cigarettes).

If you "suddenly" gained "a lot of weight", you increased your calorie intake or decreased your calorie output - one way or the other, you altered the CICO equation. Vaping did not somehow magically create a caloric surplus, and a caloric surplus is the only way you "gain a lot of weight" unless you have some very serious medical condition causing major edema or some such thing.

As far as the whole chemikillz thing, everything you eat/drink/inhale is a chemical. Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen (in the air you breathe) are chemicals. Water is a chemical. All foods are composed of chemicals. You're "straight inhaling chemicals" every time you breathe - including a lot of industrial pollutants in the air, dust particles, etc., etc. You're swallowing chemicals every time you eat or drink. Unless you're dead, you're taking in a steady stream of chemicals every single day of your life.

Feel free to post any peer-reviewed studies proving that PG is an endocrine disruptor and can cause weight gain and/or inability to lose weight. No fearmongering blogs please, only scientific studies. I'm very open-minded to science, but very skeptical of woo and BS which isn't scientifically proven. I've done a lot of reading about vaping, including many scientific studies, and have never seen those types of allegations made or proven before.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    E-cigs did not cause weight gain. A calorie surplus did.

• AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    ravenmiss wrote: »
    No. I applaud you trying to give up smoking, but using e-cigs is still smoking--you are getting nicotine. If I were you, I'd take a closer look at how much I was eating and how accurately I'm logging. If you are consuming too many calories for your daily needs, regardless of exercise, you will gain weight.

Using e-cigs is not "still smoking" it's vaping. Going from over 4000 nasty chemicals, 43 of which cause cancer and over 400 toxins - to a product that contains 3 harmless ingredients used in food and sometimes nicotine (how do you know the OP uses liquid that contains it?) is not "smoking" nor is it anything near the same as a cigarette.

To the OP I gave up using e-cigs and have lost weight, there's nothing in the liquid that will cause you to gain. They're calorie free!

The truth is that we have no idea what the long term effects of vaping are. It's still inhaling chemicals into your lungs. You didn't even name the three ingredients (and there are usually more, come on now, stop trusting the tobacco companies that make this stuff). I have vaped before, and it can still be harsh on your throat, esophagus and lungs. There is no safe way to inhale chemicals into your body that aren't naturally in the air. Is it better than cigarettes? Very likely yes, but they are made by the very same people who make cigs and they are very interested in you forming an addiction to their products and I really, REALLY doubt that their e-cigs are an exception. In 30 years, we're going to find out that these kill people even faster.

I'm not judging either, I was a smoker for a long time. But you haven't really quit until you stop inhaling things into your lungs that aren't fresh air. Sorry, there are no loopholes to breathing clean air just like there are no loopholes around CICO.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    But seriously, you can only gain weight from overeating. That's it. Even people with medication issues only end up gaining weight because their meds make them hungry. There is no magic way to make fat appear and no magic way to make it go away.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    The nicotine is actually an eating suppressant. So it's still not good to take in while you are attempting to lose weight. Withdrawals will slow metabolic rates while too much may make you feel like you are eating enough when you really aren't.

Grats on quitting the cigs. I would try to weed vaping out too. You take in a ton of nicotine at typically more steady rates than cigs.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    ravenmiss wrote: »
    No. I applaud you trying to give up smoking, but using e-cigs is still smoking--you are getting nicotine. If I were you, I'd take a closer look at how much I was eating and how accurately I'm logging. If you are consuming too many calories for your daily needs, regardless of exercise, you will gain weight.

Using e-cigs is not "still smoking" it's vaping. Going from over 4000 nasty chemicals, 43 of which cause cancer and over 400 toxins - to a product that contains 3 harmless ingredients used in food and sometimes nicotine (how do you know the OP uses liquid that contains it?) is not "smoking" nor is it anything near the same as a cigarette.

To the OP I gave up using e-cigs and have lost weight, there's nothing in the liquid that will cause you to gain. They're calorie free!

The truth is that we have no idea what the long term effects of vaping are. It's still inhaling chemicals into your lungs. You didn't even name the three ingredients (and there are usually more, come on now, stop trusting the tobacco companies that make this stuff). I have vaped before, and it can still be harsh on your throat, esophagus and lungs. There is no safe way to inhale chemicals into your body that aren't naturally in the air. Is it better than cigarettes? Very likely yes, but they are made by the very same people who make cigs and they are very interested in you forming an addiction to their products and I really, REALLY doubt that their e-cigs are an exception. In 30 years, we're going to find out that these kill people even faster.

I'm not judging either, I was a smoker for a long time. But you haven't really quit until you stop inhaling things into your lungs that aren't fresh air. Sorry, there are no loopholes to breathing clean air just like there are no loopholes around CICO.

Vaping has been pretty popular in uk and other euro nations a lot longer than us. The studies are showing improved safety over continued smoking. That, of course, doesn't mean vaping is harmless, but it is very likely a safer alternative to cigarettes. I would never encourage a nonsmoker, or someone who has successfully quit smoking, to start vaping, but it can be a better alternative for those who still smoke. The addiction is already there for anyone who currently smokes.

What ecigs are made by tobacco companies? You do realize there are hundreds of ecig manufacturers, right? And most of them are not affiliated with tobacco companies. The tobacco companies, as far as I can tell, hate that ecigs are gaining popularity, and want to see heavy regulation to get all these small companies out of the way. It eats into their profits. I can vape for about 20 dollars a month. Smoking was costing me more like 200 a month!

If you found ecigs "harsh" I'm guessing you had a cheap setup.

Oh, and when I switched to vaping four months ago, I saw no weight gain. Resting heart rate improved, blood pressure dropped (from 120/70 to 110/60), and breathing improved. I can run again. Instead of taking 15 minutes to do a mile on the treadmill, I can do it in 11 now, and I'm still improving. How does any of that mean I'm going to die sooner?
  • Foggiblu
    Foggiblu Posts: 20 Member
    My weight gain started after I quit vaping. I already needed to lose weight but soon after I gave up vaping, my appetite was out of control and I gained 30 pounds in six weeks. I still can't get a grip on this.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Foggiblu wrote: »
    My weight gain started after I quit vaping. I already needed to lose weight but soon after I gave up vaping, my appetite was out of control and I gained 30 pounds in six weeks. I still can't get a grip on this.

You ate 2500 calories over maintenance during that period?? I find that hard to believe.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I was never a smoker but took up vaping and have lost 70+ pounds. My son also lost 70 pounds after starting vaping but he quit drinking. I don't think it's the e-cig I think it is just the normal weight gain many people see when they stop smoking.

BTW, I don't believe vaping caused me to lose weight I just happened to be dieting when I took up the habit. It helps me when I am craving sweets but I don't credit it with my weight loss as I was already halfway there before I started vaping.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Sorry didn't notice this was an old thread...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    You've gained 8 pounds since July, or about 6 months. That would be a calorie surplus of about 155 per day. Or an extra snack, increased portion size, here and there. Very easy to do if you're not tracking.
    bumblebee wrote: »
    I gave up smoking in July. In the 4 months since then my weight went gradually up from 9stone 12lbs to 10stone 3lbs. It stayed there a while and has now gone up to 10stone 6lbs. I run 7 km 4 times a week and am sure I haven't been eating any more than normal. Could it be the ecig I'm using? Do they cause bloating or fluid retention?

Please help, it's very depressing :(

• celstone
    celstone Posts: 2 Member
    There actually is a very viable reason why you would gain weight while vaping. The reason is that when you burn fat you literally exhale it throught the metabolic process. It is processed by your body (liver etc) and exhaled through your lungs. Vaping of any kind is done with two fatty substances propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin. Vegetable glycerin is a compelx trigylceride. Propylene Glycol is given to cows to prevent them from going into ketosis (fat burning). Both are possibly estrogenic meaning they increase estrogen markers in the body that can increase weight gain. It is highly possible that the fatty nature of the VG/PG is somehow interfering with the EFFICIENCY of the process of the endocrine and metabolic function. Both of these will make you gain weight. Of course, none of this has been studied yet, but it is a likely possibility that if these ideas are true...will make weight gain from vaping affect women more than men and also affect different women uniquely. Best of luck ladies. I have been vaping for over 5 years and have also seen a great deal of weight gain despite dramatically reducing my caloric intake. You aren't crazy.
  • celstone
    celstone Posts: 2 Member
    Additionally, long term use of PG can cause hyperglycemia and vaping has created higher blood sugar in some people. Just a note as your walk your journey.
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

Love it! 🤣🤣🤣

Not here to smear, and in fact I'm actually trying to find a group that's trying to quit vaping, but I spotted your response and just had to appreciate it.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    The nicotine delivery of an ecig is not as efficient as analogue cigarettes, so you’re probably getting less nic than you used to when smoking.

It may not seem like you’re eating more, but I bet you are. I did when I switched.
  • matrosov65
    matrosov65 Posts: 25 Member
    I think ecigs while delivering nicotine and other god knows what chemicals don't have the metabolism and appetite affecting ones that are released during the burning of the real cigarrete. When I quit smoking I used patches and went from 132 pounds 32 inch waist to 157 pounds 36 inch waist in 3 months time and stopped there. My food and exercise did not change dramatically. Then I picked up ecigs and still remained at 157 pounds. So as far as weight gain is concerned you would've gotten it regardless of ecigs.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,175 Member
    Hello necro thread, again!

Nicotine delivery methods deliver... nicotine!

A stimulant and appetite suppressor.