Weight lifting

Options
Is it more important to do more reps or more weight?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goal is?
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I would think it's more important to make sure your form is correct, which can mean less weight.

However, it depends on what you're trying to achieve as to whether reps or weight are more important.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really want to tone, that is my main goal and then build muscle. I run every other day and I want to incorporate strength training on my non run days
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I really want to tone, that is my main goal and then build muscle. I run every other day and I want to incorporate strength training on my non run days

Best thing to do is pick an established program and follow it. The program will tell you how many reps and sets to do. There are so many good programs out there that spending time trying to figure out your own, as a new trainer, is really inefficient. Here's a good thread to guide you toward a program:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Toning is a fancy word for cutting fat, and sometimes also refers to cutting fat while maintaining muscle. Do yourself a favor and get on a structure program, eat adequate protein (.6-.8g per lb of weight) and a moderate deficit 250-500 calories per day.

Total volume (reps x weight x set) is what is important for strength and muscle gain. Resistance + protein = muscle retention. Deficit = fat loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Form is most important. It really depends on your goals. I for one use a mixture of rep ranges. As there are benefits to each. As stated above, follow an established program, so you can focus on exercising, and not what to do.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will check into those links that were shared
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Is it more important to do more reps or more weight?

It depends...

Ranges.jpg