Sick of oatmeal.

Options
13»

Replies

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a cereal, and like all breakfast cereals it's a vehicle for sugar. I think it's a rare person who doesn't add something sweet to their oatmeal.

Also... not nutritionally dense for the calories. I've read that it might not be the best diet food as it's a wallop to the caloric intake, but not so much to the vitamins and essentials.

That being said... I love a good breakfast cereal. Haha.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a cereal, and like all breakfast cereals it's a vehicle for sugar. I think it's a rare person who doesn't add something sweet to their oatmeal.

Also... not nutritionally dense for the calories. I've read that it might not be the best diet food as it's a wallop to the caloric intake, but not so much to the vitamins and essentials.

To me, oats provide iron which I need, taste good, keep me full, and only have 150 calories per serving. I don't know many foods that provide that much satiety for me for that few calories. As for nutrition, how do you compare nutrition in two completely different foods? I need the magnesium in oatmeal as much as I need the B12 in eggs. I need the protein in eggs as much as I need the soluble fiber in oatmeal. They're just two different foods with two different nutritional profiles.

Adding sugar to oatmeal (savory oatmeal doesn't have sugar anyway) does not remove the nutrients it has. If you have a cup of sweet tea with your eggs, would that cancel out the nutrition in eggs?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I made a vow when I was a kid to never, ever eat oatmeal when I became an adult because we ate it ALL the time for breakfast. A gooey bowl of oatmeal. It was what we could afford. Now, I eat it a couple days a week, usually in winter when it's cold out. I add tasty things to it: cranberries and orange extract, blueberries and pecans, raisins and cinnamon. Other days I eat eggs with toast, English muffins with peanut butter, pancakes, etc. Variety is what has kept me going. No need to get bored with what you eat.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you want to replace oatmeal with other, similar, fiber bombs try other grains. We usually have rolled spelt, spelt berries, rolled oats, rolled rye, brown rice farina, bulgur wheat, and bran cereal at hand to choose among. We hit Bob's Red Mill for most of it online and Trader Joe's for the bran cereal.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Banana pancake. 1 banana and 1 egg mashed and cooked in oil. I use coconut oil and I also add 1 tbsp of ground flax seed and some cinnamon to my mixture.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of things, though lately it's been savory oatmeal (an egg and some spinach on top, for example).
    Here's my thing: breakfast food is ANY food. The cereal folks have us thinking there are specific foods that are "breakfast foods".
    Eat anything you like.

I'm another one who'll eat leftovers for breakfast. Food is food for me, regardless of the time of day.

• atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    peanut butter on whole grain toast with hard boiled eggs , cold buckwheat with greekyogurt blueberries on top and some Stevia , egg omelettes with lots of veggies hold the cheese
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I often don't. Certainly don't add sugar or buy the pre-sweetened packages. But then I dislike sweetened cereal, even when it's hot (I cannot stand cold cereal). I do like oatmeal sweetened with berries, though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The ONLY sweet thing I put in my steel cut oats, ever, is raisins.
    My oats are darned nutritious, and "stick to my ribs" through the morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Im getting sick of eating oatmeal for breakfast, i think I only eat it because it is considered "healthy".

What do you all have for breakfast. I need a change.

Thanks

A wide variety of things, including oats...variety is the spice of life.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Eating oatmeal isn't the most healthy.... I actually feel guilty and indulgent when I have oatmeal.

I would think an omelet with some bell peppers and onions would serve your body better.

Why? Oats are pretty good for you from a nutritional standpoint. They're a good source of complex carbohydrates as well as fiber...both soluble and insoluble. Oats also have a decent amount of protein as veggie sources go...my Coach's Oats have 6 grams per serving.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

What kind of oatmeal are you looking at? Whole grain oats are a complex carbohydrate. Also, I rarely add something sweet to mine...I prefer savory...I usually just have mine with salt and pepper but on the weekends I add things like ginger and thai chilies with some green onion...mushrooms and onions are also a good combination and throw a fried egg on top.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eating oatmeal isn't the most healthy.... I actually feel guilty and indulgent when I have oatmeal.

I would think an omelet with some bell peppers and onions would serve your body better.

Are you a low carber? Otherwise I don't think I've ever heard someone say oats are unhealthy-that's a new one :p

OP-I adore oats and I'm pretty sure my daily consumption of them is why my total cholesterol number is ridiculously low. I never eat them plain though-I like the flavored packets (I mix them with plain). I also add berries and other fruit. I occasionally mix them raw in yogurt and I've added yogurt to cooked oatmeal too :) And then sometimes I'll add nuts and seeds to them. So many different variations! I don't typically eat in the morning so I frequently eat oats for supper. 2-3 servings with add-ins is a really filling meal for me and fits in my calorie targets nicely!

Here's a great recipe site for oats
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

Oats are a low calorie food though. I'm a hard core oats eater and my go-to combo that I never get tired of is 2 pkts flavored oats with one serving of plain oats. I cook them up together (in water) and then add a serving of fresh blueberries. Total calories are 457 and I eat this typically for my supper. The combo also has 10g of fiber and includes several grams of soluble fiber.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually hear oat talk from people who stay away from grains. If they avoid rice and wheat, then there's a good chance they avoid oats too.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I make my own smoothie with fruits/veggies, sometime i put oatmeal in it
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Banana + PB2 Smoothie

Chobani Flips (Lots of flavor options keeps it interesting, and the crunch makes it feel more substantial. If you don't like chewing your yogurt, I recommend the Honey Pear flavor. Really yummy.)

Scrambled eggs with salsa or hot peppers

Experiment with other oatmeal mix-ins to stop hating it. I like honey and cinnamon. Cocoa powder is good too.

Cottage Cheese with crushed red pepper.

Don't be afraid to eat "non-breakfast" foods for breakfast.

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Eggs are very satiating for the amount. But i just can't eat eggs alone for breakfast every day. Not enough carbs i think.

But I'm trying to lower my carbs for breakfast. These are my favorites:

Yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit
    Egg on toast (fried, poached in microwave, or hard boiled & sliced)
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my biggest challenge! I will do oatmeal, but overall I just hate eating breakfast...

That being said, I will make a winter squash and eat that with brown sugar and walnuts. Or, I will make a pan of baked eggs (onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, eggs) for the week and eat it on top of toast with a slice of cheddar cheese.

I've also make "breakfast pizza" -- pita bread with tomato paste, cheese and ground turkey. Warm in the oven while you get ready.

Lately I have just been drinking a beet juice concoction because I am not really a breakfast eater.