Are diet fizzy drinks bad for you? help please :(

Options
i stopped drinking standard coke, pepsi, sprite etc...and i switched to all diets and lights. even though they are very low on calories, is there any negative impacts?

Replies

• jubeee
    jubeee Posts: 1
    Options
    drink water
  • MasterXelcas
    MasterXelcas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain dude, i love me some soda lol. But all diet sodas usually have a lot of sodium and aspartame which are both bad for you.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    This is one of those topics that half the MFP community will say it is bad for you, Half will say it isn't bad for you.

There have been studies that have suggested that Artificial sugars are treated no differently by your body than regular sugars.

Just to be safe, I don't drink diet anything, If I am going to have a soda I have it every now and then and I have the full sugar kind.

Lemonade is my weakness however.. If someone came out and said that lemonade was bad for you, I would have a hard time giving it up,,, so I understand the hardship that comes with giving up diet drinks.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If I'm drinking soda, I'd drink regular before diet...full of chemicals!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I"m sure they're not good for you. But I don't care. I refuse to give up my Diet Pepsi habit. I drink a lot of it. And yet I managed to lose 90 pounds and be very healthy and fit.

However, I also drink 80-120 ounces of pure water everyday. I figure that partially balances out the bad parts fo the DP.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    soda has too much sodium and does not quench your thirst. you need to drink water to stay hydrated. It also bloats you -- diet or not :0

water is your friend!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm strongly against all fake sugars so I'm really not the best person to ask. :/

I will say that I recently read an article on the habits of thin people. Thin people do not eat diet foods and 100 calorie packs! :)

There's a lot of controversy on MFP about diet drinks so this is where I politely duck out of this forum before getting myself in trouble. :)
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas, while not hurting your daily calories, are still bad for you. The chemicals are horrible and they still make you crave sugar, same as regular soda. That being said, I did the same thing as you, and switched to diet sodas. I am just now trying to give those up..it is so hard, I know...but i think they have hindered my progress in some ways...I drink them and i want MORE!!! which makes it harder to drink your water and eat healthy.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    One is artificial sweetners arent good for you if theyre not natural. (truvia is ok when seldomly used) the other reason I dont like them is they bloat your tummy with the carbonation, and three.. well if I have even one, I usually will want another the same week and so I stick to water now. IF you crave the sweet try a lil lemon or lime with some Truvia. Seems to help me get past the diet colas.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I drank ALOT of diet soda. I switched to flavored seltzer and that helps. I hate plain water so I make unsweetened iced tea - I like blueberry or just about any fruit flavor.
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    carbonation is bad for your bones
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have always drank diet soda, and it never hindered my ability to lose weight. I do also drink a lot of water, so the key is moderation as with anything else
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with sugar cravings, and I read that artificial sweeteners can trigger sugar cravings, so I dropped my afternoon diet coke *sob*. But it seems to be working, and honestly, aside from a headache the first day, it's kinda nice not to be totally twitchy and jacked up in the afternoon. That's my only input.
  • mmccullough2
    mmccullough2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has this covered! I agree with them! Just say no to soda!:noway:
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    they are both bad for you, obviously water is the best option, but if you cant give up soda completely go for diet...
  • Taygwen
    Taygwen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try Diet Cherry Rite, any diet Rite for that matter, that just happens to be my favorite. Sweetened with Splenda, has zero carbs, calories, sodium, and caffeine.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm strongly against all fake sugars so I'm really not the best person to ask. :/

I will say that I recently read an article on the habits of thin people. Thin people do not eat diet foods and 100 calorie packs! :)

There's a lot of controversy on MFP about diet drinks so this is where I politely duck out of this forum before getting myself in trouble. :)

I hate "informative" articles like that! What the heck are they basising that info on?? I am thin and I eat diet stuff and 100 calorie packs..they should have asked me lol.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is bad for you, it stops you from losing weight... drink lots of water... I know, easier said than done! I'm in the same boat, I love pop!
  • Tabby0528
    Tabby0528 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello!

I am like you--I switched to diet sodas a while back. Unfortunately, while diet sodas are calorie-free, they contain sodium, which when consumed in heavy amounts, can make you retain water and not have pretty numbers on the scale (sodium=bloat). Also, these drinks contain artificial sweeteners, which studies have linked to increased hunger. Last, they trick your body into thinking most things "sweet" are okay. In other words, let's say you consume lots of artificial sweetener--then you eat something with real sugar. Your body will digest it the same way. Not good because those sugars won't get burned up properly. (something to that effect although I am not an expert--just what I have read in the literature)

Something I have been drinking lately is called Le Croix. They are sparkling waters with no sodium, no caffeine, and no sweeteners. There are literally two ingredients. So now you aren't worrying about all those chemicals that are used as preservatives in regular diet drinks (sodium benzoate, etc.) And they are naturally sweetened and calorie free. They are an acquired taste, however, but my hope is that the carbonation will trick my body in to thinking I am having a soda.

To see what Jillian Michaels has to say about sweeteners, check out her book, "Master Your Metabolism."

I hope this information helps!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb has been this - if you eat out as little as I do, drink it then (we usually eat out about 1-2x a month)...it's not going to hurt. I believe in moderation. I drink a gallon of water EVERY single day, sometimes more if I run more than 10 miles and do weight lifting in that day. I believe it's not going to hurt me having 20oz. of it every 30 days. I managed to lose 100lbs. having the "moderation" rule.