Coconut oil - good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I doubt there is anything wrong with it when eaten sensibly (within goals) but it's too expensive IMO. EVOO taste better and is cheaper.

They taste different and there are some things coconut oil tastes better for, and other things EVOO, and other things that a less flavored oil is best for.

Of course they taste different why else would I say EVOO tastes better? ;)

They taste different. I'm not really wanting the taste of EVOO in some things. I don't want the taste of coconut in other things. And sometimes I don't want the taste of the oil at all.

I think you missed my point. One oil is not good for everything.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I doubt there is anything wrong with it when eaten sensibly (within goals) but it's too expensive IMO. EVOO taste better and is cheaper.

They taste different and there are some things coconut oil tastes better for, and other things EVOO, and other things that a less flavored oil is best for.

Of course they taste different why else would I say EVOO tastes better? ;)

They taste different. I'm not really wanting the taste of EVOO in some things. I don't want the taste of coconut in other things. And sometimes I don't want the taste of the oil at all.

I think you missed my point. One oil is not good for everything.

I didn't really miss it I just chose to address only one part because what oil is best depends on the person who is consuming the food. What you want to taste is not relevant to me.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There are added benefits of both olive and coconut oils, they are both very high in salicylate and for that reason are antimicrobial. Could help if one is plagued by yeast overgrowth, as long as you do not react to salicylate.
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is my go to oil i use it to cook my chicken on a griddle and sometimes fish too. i also use butter occasionally in my eggs.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you talking refined or unrefined coconut oil? Unrefined has coconut taste and is for medium heat. Refined has no discernible taste and is for high heat.

I love avocado oil. It's my favorite oil. EVOO doesn't have a high smoke point so really isn't a great oil for roasting or cooking high heat.

Saturated fat isn't "bad". My cholesterol and triglycerides have improved while eating avocado oil and coconut oil as my main oil sources.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil: Smoke point: 410 degrees F.

Whoa! Not a good general rule! This depends greatly on how it's refined.

Most olive oils won't have this high of a smoke point.

Check the bottle before using it for frying.

(Same goes with any oils. Coconut oils vary quite a bit as well.)
  • amber22vanessa
    amber22vanessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone!! Some really good information on here.....very helpful
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    IMO all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all. I saute veggies with water or broth. Works just as well, and cuts 100s of calories out of your diet.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    eday79 wrote: »
    I love cooking with coconut oil. I occasionally drizzle extra virgin oil on a salad. But coconut oil is my go to
    Oil choice for food & skin...I've found great benefits for both uses.

Great for beards/hair too.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Benefit: it tastes delicious and smells delicious and just like every other plant oil improves dry skin and hair, and gives guitars a healthy shine.

Downside: can be expensive, much higher in calories than eg butter so great for baking only if you want nuclear calorie bombs, not everything tastes great with coconut (shocker i know)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Benefit: it tastes delicious and smells delicious and just like every other plant oil improves dry skin and hair, and gives guitars a healthy shine.

Downside: can be expensive, much higher in calories than eg butter so great for baking only if you want nuclear calorie bombs, not everything tastes great with coconut (shocker i know)

I have found coconut oil to be similar to butter and other oils in terms of calories...
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The cardiologist I work with thinks it's incredible at addressing inflammation and artery disease. Raves about new research etc.

The cardiac Nurse Practitioner who grew up in Papua New Ginea says the locals all at a diet rich in coconut oil and they are a population with a particularly high level of heart disease, so doesn't buy the claims.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    IMO all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all. I saute veggies with water or broth. Works just as well, and cuts 100s of calories out of your diet.

This sounds sort of like when the teachers in school were pushing the food pyramid on us. Fats/oils were the enemy, and breads and grains were the savior.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options

This sounds sort of like when the teachers in school were pushing the food pyramid on us. Fats/oils were the enemy, and breads and grains were the savior.

Bread and grains are fuel and fiber. So yes they are the Savior. As long as they are not super refined. And no I am not promoting the food pyramid. Half of what is on it should never be in a healthy diet.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Bread and grains are fuel and fiber. So yes they are the Savior. As long as they are not super refined. And no I am not promoting the food pyramid. Half of what is on it should never be in a healthy diet.

Mmkay.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options

Yeah...You are talking woo now. All food belong in a healthy diet in moderation. There is nothing wrong with white bread or white rice or white potatoes.

No it does not. And I did not say anything about white bread,rice, or potatoes. Just in case you didn't know IMO stands for MY OPINION. Not advice just my opinion. You don't like it do your own thing. I seriously hope it works out for you.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have an irrational hatred of coconut oil. I find it really hard to cook with because it seems to get smoky a lot quicker than other oils (thanks for ruining my pancakes, COCONUT OIL).
    I can't bring myself to cook anything savoury with it in case it ends up tasting of coconut...are my fears misplaced, does the coconuttyness cook off?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have an irrational hatred of coconut oil. I find it really hard to cook with because it seems to get smoky a lot quicker than other oils (thanks for ruining my pancakes, COCONUT OIL).
    I can't bring myself to cook anything savoury with it in case it ends up tasting of coconut...are my fears misplaced, does the coconuttyness cook off?

Refined coconut oil has no coconut flavor and it can be used at a higher heat than unrefined. The container should tell you specifically what kind it is.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah...You are talking woo now. All food belong in a healthy diet in moderation. There is nothing wrong with white bread or white rice or white potatoes.

No it does not. And I did not say anything about white bread,rice, or potatoes. Just in case you didn't know IMO stands for MY OPINION. Not advice just my opinion. You don't like it do your own thing. I seriously hope it works out for you.

You didn't mean "all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all" as advice? You don't think there is any factual basis to your statement? I'm always confused when people say "It isn't advice, it's just my opinion" after making a declarative statement like that.