Hi People

Does this seem right,

Male
207 pound
5ft 8ins
42 year old
Setting = lose 2 pound a week
My net calorie goal = 1270 a day / activilty level set to Sedentary

Walking the dog i burn up around 300 - 400 calories a day mon - fri / and 900 - 1200 a day on weenends

Does my net calorie goal seem right? and what will the impact of not eating my exercise calories which is a lot each day?

Thanks

Replies

• timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    I go by as long as I eat 1200 minimum a day regardless of exercise it's all good!
  • flab2fab882
    Options
    yep it's right, and if you don't eat your work out cals. you can send your body into starvation mode and actually gain weight.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That seems really low because minimum for a man is supposed to be 1500-1800. Since it's already low, you should DEFINITELY be eating a majority of your exercise calories back. At least so that your net is 1200. Also, if you don't have a HRM, you should get one... 900-1200 calories on the weekend sounds like a lot unless that's for the WHOLE weekend or you're doing crazy workouts like several hours day or hiking or whatnot.
  • sr777
    sr777 Posts: 4
    Options
    900 - 1200 calories burned is between 9 - 12 miles brisk walking each day over the weekends and 4 miles a day during the week on a night
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It seems very low for a male to me. As you have it set as 2lb per week, MFP will get you there whether its the right way or not. Check out http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and you will see that its a lot higher allowance.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Thats not true, mfp wont let me lose even 1lb per week never mind 2 lbs.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thats not true, mfp wont let me lose even 1lb per week never mind 2 lbs.

What is not true???
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That calorie goal seems EXTREMELY low for a male at your height and weight. That's close to my goal, and I'm female (not to mention much shorter and lighter). It makes no sense to me why MFP would suggest anything lower than 1500-1800 for a man.

I would eat all of your exercise calories back for sure, and I second the HRM suggestion as well.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think your activity level is lightly active rather than sedentary. That would up your calories a bit which would take into account those dog walks.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    I think your activity level is lightly active rather than sedentary. That would up your calories a bit which would take into account those dog walks.

The activity level represents what he does day to day, not his exercise. That's why you add exercise in seperatley.
  • sr777
    sr777 Posts: 4
    Options
    If i change it to lose 1 pound a week instead if 2 pound i goes up to a goal of 1770 :huh:
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    hey im also 5-8 now im down 205, i started at 215. and same settings but mfp told me to eat 1450. (maybe cause im younger) i found that if i eat 1500-1600 i loose it faster then eating 1200-1300 (which i did for a little bit)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yup, it'll add 500 calories per day because of the 3500 calorie/week deficit rule. Makes sense - and I would put myself at the 1 lb/week goal if I were you!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to eat your workout calories or most of them anyways??
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    That's about right mine set at 1 pound gives me 1900 calories, and set at 2 pounds it gives me 1300 calories. Alot of it has to do with your setting of sedentary. If you don't do alot day to day, you, in theory, do not need as many calories, but when you burn 500 or 600 calories walking the dog I would absolutley eat at least most of the calories back. The reason "I" would eat them back is your body needs those calories to refuel.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    900 - 1200 calories burned is between 9 - 12 miles brisk walking each day over the weekends and 4 miles a day during the week on a night

Wouldn't this make your lifestyle more active or at minimum lightly active than sedentary??? I thought sedentary was sitting behind a desk all day doing nothing?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If i change it to lose 1 pound a week instead if 2 pound i goes up to a goal of 1770 :huh:

A pound a week is a much more sustainable goal. It'll be much easier therefore you'll be much more likely to stick with it. Yeah, it'll take long but that's okay.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

Wouldn't this make your lifestyle more active or at minimum lightly active than sedentary??? I thought sedentary was sitting behind a desk all day doing nothing?

The activity setting is day to day activity, not your exercise habits! That's why you add your exercise seperatley. Here is exactly what it says when you set it up.

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

How many times a week do you plan on exercising?
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options

Yes I personally would change my activity level to active.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

If you count activity as exercise you can't count it as "lifestyle". It'd be double counted. Since he's counting it as exercise and therefore eating the calories burned while doing it, to change his lifestyle would mean he'd eat those calories twice.