Intermittent Fasting + Women - wondering if my plan is safe

Options
Here's my plan, I started a few days ago and I'm wondering if I'm just starting to get used to it:
Breakfast is 75 calories - protein powder and water sipped when I start work around 8AM
Pre-workout is 100 calories - a tablespoon of peanut butter that helps me last through the workout
Workout burns 150-500 calories - 30-90 minutes of light stationary bike spinning, a good stretch and some physical therapy on my knee afterwards
Lunch is ~600 calories - eating period is 12-1pm, I usually cook up something big with a ton of veggies
Dinner is ~600 calories - eating period is 6-7pm, another big meal
Fasting from 7pm to around 8AM when I start sipping the protein shake

Let me be clear - my calorie, protein, and nutrients intake is fantastic right now, this is not about those numbers.

My job requires me to get passionate and lost in my work for a few hours. With several small meals, I was always interrupted by my stomach.

Training my body to get used to a few big meals a day allows for me to devote huge blocks of time to work without interruption, except for the hour breaks I set aside for cooking and eating the big meals. I also love the full feeling that I lacked with the smaller meals, causing me to want to overeat instead of feeling satisfied.

I'm pretty sure my body is taking a while to adjust to this new plan, I'm about a week into the transition. I would love some feedback on meal times and amounts to see what others think of my plan. Thank you!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It looks fine to me. This is a normal schedule for a lot of people. I don't know the parameters that define IF (is there a minimum fasting period) but I wouldn't even look at this and call it IF.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Looks fine but I wouldn't call that eating schedule intermittent fasting. Typically it's a 16:8 split (16 hours of no calories), and then a 19:5 split is also common (19 hours no calories). As soon as you're drinking the protein powder you're breaking your daily fast. Your split is 13:11, which is actually a pretty standard eating window. Not IF though, which requires a longer fasting time.

I do 16:8IF and my calorie window is from 11am-7pm. But if what you're doing is working for you then no need to change things :)

eta: here's a good overview of the different IF protocols (those that have eating windows)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/to-eat-or-not-to-eat-your-fast-guide-to-fasting.html

eta #2: re-reading the article I posted they're saying that protein powder during the fasting window is ok. That doesn't make sense though because if you're consuming calories in any form then you're breaking your fast and are not fasting any longer.

Other IFer's what are your thoughts on protein powders during the fasting window?
  • srsrsrarah
    srsrsrarah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree this is not IF. The glucose in your body only clears out about 12 hours after your last meal so you are only fasting AFTER that. I do 16:8, my eating window is between 1pm and 9pm. Outside those hours you can drink black coffee or herbal tea, nothing else. (the limit for breaking your fast is something like 30 calories so your shake definitely crosses that line)

Sounds like you probably have a pretty healthy diet but you need to skip brekkie if you want to get the fasting benefits!
  • viaTess
    viaTess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @jemhh @crzycatlady1 @srsrsrarah
    I think I'd like to head towards more of an IF schedule but I'm afraid. I have genetic anemia and I'm also worried about any hormonal imbalances that would come with the fasting. This is sort of a first step towards it. Sorry if I wasn't clear, kinda braindead today!

@crzycatlady1
    That article is really interesting. I think the protein shake will help support the transition to a longer fast, but I have to take it slow over a few months to be sure my body is ok with it. I was thinking of trying fasting a few times a week instead, but my body really likes the 24hr predictable schedule.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    This is not IF but there is nothing wrong with what you're doing. You break your fast by having a protein shake in the morning.

Typically for IF people break their fast at lunch and then have their eating window their evening meal or pre-bed snack.
  • srsrsrarah
    Options
    Probably smart to take it slow when starting off. Like I said, it sounds like you have a really healthy routine! I was STARVING in the mornings when I first started fasting but I don't notice it too much anymore. The thing I do find hard is eating enough when you only have an 8 hour window. Need to make such and effort to eat enough fruit and veg so if you do have mineral deficiencies you have to be so careful.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    viaTess wrote: »
    I think I'd like to head towards more of an IF schedule but I'm afraid. I have genetic anemia and I'm also worried about any hormonal imbalances that would come with the fasting. This is sort of a first step towards it. Sorry if I wasn't clear, kinda braindead today!

@crzycatlady1
    That article is really interesting. I think the protein shake will help support the transition to a longer fast, but I have to take it slow over a few months to be sure my body is ok with it. I was thinking of trying fasting a few times a week instead, but my body really likes the 24hr predictable schedule.

What you're doing sounds great so don't get to hung up on the whole IF thing if the timing ends up not working with your schedule/eating preferences :)
  • jemhh
    Options

@crzycatlady1

What you're doing sounds great so don't get to hung up on the whole IF thing if the timing ends up not working with your schedule/eating preferences :)

Agreed.

Just so we are clear. IF has no special weight loss properties. It is an eating schedule. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Eat when it fits your schedule.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

Just so we are clear. IF has no special weight loss properties. It is an eating schedule. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Eat when it fits your schedule.

It is useful to blunt carb cravings (ex. Sugar and refined flour) for certain individuals. You cannot make a blanket statement "IF has no special weight loss properties" because not craving definitely helps reduce the total # calories consumed for some.
  • jemhh
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

It is useful to blunt carb cravings (ex. Sugar and refined flour) for certain individuals. You cannot make a blanket statement "IF has no special weight loss properties" because not craving definitely helps reduce the total # calories consumed for some.

IF does not directly cause weight loss. Caloric deficits cause weight loss. If a person eats in caloric excess while using an IF eating schedule, he will not lose weight. IF may be a way to manage hunger or cravings but it is not the mechanism by which weight loss occurs.
  • DebSozo
    Options

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

IF does not directly cause weight loss. Caloric deficits cause weight loss. If a person eats in caloric excess while using an IF eating schedule, he will not lose weight. IF may be a way to manage hunger or cravings but it is not the mechanism by which weight loss occurs.

Exactly. What did I say that is different from that? Craving less = eating less = less calories consumed
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

Exactly. What did I say that is different from that? Craving less = eating less = less calories consumed

You said (or at least implied) that IF reduces carb cravings, which it doesn't. IF just gives a meal schedule. People can certainly get carb cravings during an 8/6/4 hour eating window.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

You said (or at least implied) that IF reduces carb cravings, which it doesn't. IF just gives a meal schedule. People can certainly get carb cravings during an 8/6/4 hour eating window.

Hmmm. Intermittent fasting reduces my carb cravings. YMMV
  • srsrsrarah
    Options

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

I think there is some research IF does help weight loss as once the glucose in your body is gone fat stores are the next available energy source.

This article quotes a study where mice lose weight while eating their regular amount of calories combined with fasting:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/27/fasting-facts-is-the-52-diet-too-good-to-be-true

It also says there is some proof behind the lessening cravings claim.

I know mice are very different to humans so it's not proof, but it's a possibility.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    srsrsrarah wrote: »

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

I think there is some research IF does help weight loss as once the glucose in your body is gone fat stores are the next available energy source.

This article quotes a study where mice lose weight while eating their regular amount of calories combined with fasting:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/27/fasting-facts-is-the-52-diet-too-good-to-be-true

I know mice are very different to humans so it's not proof, but it's a possibility.

Rodent study..............
  • srsrsrarah
    Options
    srsrsrarah wrote: »

@crzycatlady1

Agreed.

Rodent study..............

Here is one with human subjects:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964

• srsrsrarah
    Options
    I mean none of the claims about fasting are really proven. I just do it cause hopefully some of the claims about brain function and general health are :p.