Almond milk

Options
xxharleyquinnxx
xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
What does everyone use this in? I've put some in porridge and soup but any other uses would be great, bare in mind though I'm vegetarian :) I know I could use it in smoothies but not really into making them atm. I'm thinking quinoa overnight? I've made it before with almond milk and it is delish!

Replies

• brdoyle8
    brdoyle8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've used it in overnight oats, but I primarily use it for smoothies and protein shakes. I find that using skim milk tastes better in the recipes I use. Hope this helps!
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    Options
    Thank you! I've had skimmed milk before but trying vegan meals here and there :)
  • Mindiqualls
    Mindiqualls Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used it in cereal and oatmeal
  • dustymay1537
    dustymay1537 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found out I'm allergic to cow milk so almond milk will be a substitute for any recipe with milk in it.
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I make smoothies with almond milk a lot... just almond milk, frozen fruit of choice and a scoop of plant-based protein powder.

Would you be willing to share your recipe for overnight quinoa? That sounds healthy and good!

edit: almond milk is great in granola or other cereal and if you get it unsweetened you can use it like milk in any recipe. If you're plant based, make sure you get the kind that's enriched with calcium and vitamin D because otherwise there's really no point in going out of your way to drink it.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in place of milk in all recipes as I'm allergic to cow's milk. My favorite is in pancakes because I'm apparently addicted to them since I eat them daily. ;)
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I'm making a skinny/low carb hot chocolate or pumpkin spice latte, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk! It's great!
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use the Silk unsweetened vanilla to drink but also in smoothies. I love a creamy pasta and shrimp dish so instead of the heavy whipping cream I used to use I substitutes the Silk Soy Creamer. It is marketed as a coffee creamer but we have to think outside the box.
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk to make Dream Whip. It makes it pretty low calorie and still very good!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Everything that normal milk can get used in
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    for me mostly just protein shakes and I've started using it when I order coffee/lattes because it adds a really nice rich flavor while still keeping calories down from full fat options
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I use it a lot for chia seed pudding.
    I do about 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, add 1/4 cup and sometimes a little splash more of almond milk for the base. Then I can add all sorts of things. I do coconut, sliced almonds and a touch of vanilla most of the time. Mix it and let it set overnight in the fridge.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I drink cashew milk (tastes ten times better) with cookies n stuff like that. Goes better with cereals too.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I use it in my morning coffee...yum! Unsweetened vanilla as well...currently I am drinking a combination of almond and coconut.

I'm going to make cream of broccolli soup this week and am planning on using it instead of half and half...will let you know how it turns out!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I drink cashew milk (tastes ten times better) with cookies n stuff like that. Goes better with cereals too.

Big fan of cashew milk! Cashew butter too. Just wish it wasn't so expensive... :(
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Any recipe that calls for milk or cream. I've used it in quiche & egg casseroles. Tea, shakes, oatmeal, etc.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My son is lactose intolerant so we use Almond milk here for a few things. The best brand I've tried that has no funky aftertaste is Califa Farms, but I think it's a matter of preference. Makes excellent chocolate milk, chai tea, oatmeal, smoothies and cereal if he eats it. I made cream of mushroom soup once as a base for green bean casserole and it was excellent. Just play around with it and see what you can muster up. I've been wanting to make some Chia pudding, but have not done it yet.
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Big fan of cashew milk! Cashew butter too. Just wish it wasn't so expensive... :(

I've tried cashew milk and it is lovely! Not tried the butter but I've bought almond and coconut butter and that was £3.50ish for a small jar...
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    Options
    th1nr wrote: »
    I make smoothies with almond milk a lot... just almond milk, frozen fruit of choice and a scoop of plant-based protein powder.

Would you be willing to share your recipe for overnight quinoa? That sounds healthy and good!

edit: almond milk is great in granola or other cereal and if you get it unsweetened you can use it like milk in any recipe. If you're plant based, make sure you get the kind that's enriched with calcium and vitamin D because otherwise there's really no point in going out of your way to drink it.

I've been looking for the original recipe that I used for the overnight quinoa and couldn't find it :( anyway I've looked online and found this which sounds pretty good so mght be of use to you! I'll be on this next week or sure!

https://www.homemadenutrition.com/2015/08/31/overnight-almond-chia-breakfast-quinoa/?mobile=1