Two weeks in and have not lost weight

Options

Replies

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had meal prepped. That was what the oz were after breaking it up into different meals.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I only eat maybe an extra 200 calories max when I go hiking for 2 hours, if I eat any extra at all which I usually don't, and a total daily of about 200 over BMR for activity (I use the TDEE method to calculate calories). Even adding an extra 1600 calories to your day is a lot for that exercise. If you use TDEE method to set your calories remember your activity and exercise is already included so you shouldn't really eat back any calories unless you exercise more than usual. Even if using myfitnesspal method to set your calorie goal I would never eat back more than 500 calories for exercise, and that's like serious vigorous exercise.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    I knocked off 25% of what MFP said I should be burning. What percentage should I take off?
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    cloud2011 wrote: »
    Is it possible you are losing inches but not lbs? 5 lbs up or down can be water weight. I would check that I'm getting enough protein and reduce sodium intake, along with drinking enough water.

I haven't measured myself yet.... I'll do that today.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I knocked off 25% of what MFP said I should be burning. What percentage should I take off?

Most recommend eating back 50-70% of your exercise calories, particularly if you're letting MFP calculate your calories burned. MFP's exercise numbers tend to be pretty inflated.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's probably ovulation/your period. I'm always very heavy when I ovulate, then again right before my period. I only get a good reading on the scale one week out of the month. I only look lean during that week as well.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

How did you calculate your calorie goal- with the myfitnesspal settings or a TDEE calculator?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'll wait this all out. It'll come off.

There you go :) Try not to reference people who are "like you." Just be you. Do what you need to set up healthy and sustainable habits for YOU. You're the only one who matters. And it sounds like you're doing it all just fine. We don't want the weight to come off slowly. We want to see it and feel it NOW! But when it comes off slowly and gradually, we realize that it wasn't as hard to do as we thought. And it isn't as hard to keep off as we thought.

Please hang in there. Invest in the now for later. You can do this.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I plugged in 200 min of walking in MFP exercise diary and it gave me 856 calories. If you walk fast, or up hill, it will be more, but I doubt it's double. I'd halve your calorie burns.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I plugged in 200 min of walking in MFP exercise diary and it gave me 856 calories. If you walk fast, or up hill, it will be more, but I doubt it's double. I'd halve your calorie burns.

Agreed. From your (the OP's, that is) post in another thread regarding hiking, you said in two hours you did 2 miles in, 2 miles out, so you averaged a 2 mph pace. I'd suggest you use walking at 2 mph, rather than hiking, for your cals burned. If you are measuring intake as precisely as you say, then if you are eating back those high burn numbers, that sounds like a good explanation for your lack of loss.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's just disheartening.

I was thinking I might drop my calories. I'll wait another week and see.

I started at 300lbs and gained to 306.8 to start. I JUST started seeing results 2 weeks later. It could be your salt intake (I never thought to measure mine until friends here pointed it out) and though I'm still over most days, it's not like it was.

Also, it can take 2-6 weeks to see results. You are tearing your muscles which causes inflammation and water to flood them trying to repair the damage. Once your body gets accustomed to the new demands on it, the weight will start to come off.

I was frustrated as heck wondering if any of this was true cause the majority of the responses here are "you MUST be eating more calories than you think.. you are just wrong in your measurements!" Well, even if I am..or you are.. I bet it's still less than you have eaten before as we weren't counting and fretting until recently so their arguments are ignorant.

Those telling you to give it more time are probably those like us who saw weight gain or no results too start then after several weeks to a month the weight began to melt off. I'm 302 now.. still not starting weight but it's finally heading in the right direction. I refuse to let this beat me. I HAVE noticed more energy .. I like having energy.

Hope this helps.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    l911jnt wrote: »
    check your scale. Just realized mine was wrong by weighing 2 days in a row (which I do not plan to do on a normal basis). I was down 4 lbs on the 3rd day and then back up 4 the next day. Getting a new one today. Also I check my calories from 3 or so sources online. Sometimes they are really off. I only have 4 days in right now but I did this 3 yrs ago and realized the calorie source differences then.
    I'm 5'8" and 28 years old.

I sold my business 4 months back and have baked minimally since.

Maybe my scale is broken? I'll put a new battery in it. It's been fluctuating my weight by several pounds anyways.

The successful people are those who started out ahead of me. Most of the people I follow are around my weight.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

It is typical to fluctuate from hour to hour and day to day. You should weigh at the same time of day in order to minimize fluctuations, but you should still expect to gain and lose some weight from day to day... even if you are on a losing trend over time. If that stresses you out, then don't weigh every day. Instead, weigh every week or 2.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Why in the world would MFP (and other sites, I've cross referenced some) be off by 60-40%?

I ended up hiking a little more than 5 miles in a couple hours. (I didn't take the dog and I got spooked.)

Right now MFP says I burn about 1200+ for 120. One of my first threads was a question asking about this. A few people said I would burn that much, then a few others said I wouldn't.

In another thread it was brought up again and I decided to deduct 25%.

Now I need to deduct 60-40%?

This is a really *kitten* screwed up system.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would MFP (and other sites, I've cross referenced some) be off by 60-40%?

I ended up hiking a little more than 5 miles in a couple hours. (I didn't take the dog and I got spooked.)

Right now MFP says I burn about 1200+ for 120. One of my first threads was a question asking about this. A few people said I would burn that much, then a few others said I wouldn't.

The general concensus across the site is the numbers seem to be higher than people's experience. Those of us who have been around for a while discount them, and as a result, recommend eating back no more than 50%.

If you want something a bit more accurate, get a chest strap heart rate monitor for your cardio workouts. I have a Polar H7 linked to my phone. I've only used it when in the gym. I'll have to try it the next time I go on a hike, now that you have me thinking about it, and do a comparison to the MFP numbers, and the MapMyWalk figures.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a Fitbit or something similar.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I find my FitBit to be much more reasonable for calorie burn estimates. Remember that they are still estimates though. I just have the Zip, which does not have a HRM. It gives me nearly half the calories for swimming as MFP, but similar for weightlifting.
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yeah that's why I use the TDEE method and just eat the same amount each day and don't bother with trying to figure out how many calories I burned or should eat back every freaking time I exercise.

Use this TDEE calculator, and then manually set your calorie goal in myfitnesspal to whatever your TDEE is minus a deficit- I do 300 calories less than TDEE which gives me a 0.6 pounds per week loss rate. A deficit of 250 will give you 1/2 pound a week loss, 500 will give you 1 pound per week loss. Personally I wouldn't do a deficit higher than 500 but if you do make sure your calorie goal doesn't end up less than your BMR (the calculator will give you that number too). Remember, no entering exercise or eating back calories with this method, because your exercise calories are included. You do have to be pretty consistent though- don't set it for like 6 hours of exercise per week and then suddenly cut your routine down to 2 hours per week- if you do you'll want to recalculate. Also remember to recalculate every so often as you lose weight- like maybe every 5 pounds lost. Since your TDEE will be lower due to your body becoming smaller.

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hard not to chime in here, and I'll ask forgiveness beforehand if I offend anyone, it isn't my intention, and I do understand that everyone is trying to be helpful. What I see here is, I believe, part of the reason people are unsuccessful in their body transformation endeavors. That statement is not intended to place any responsibility on anyone other than the person engaged in that endeavor either. There are such simple things related to getting a body in shape. The flow chart is pretty reasonable, but at the end, it should say (in my opinion) "if you still arent losing weight/shaping up, you weren't honest somewhere".
    It's very easy to be less than diligent with tracking what you are putting in your body. Such as: forgetting to add (or just plain not adding) that shot with friends, that soda you drank "only once", that mocha for breakfast, fudging MFP by choosing grilled chicken breast instead of the actual fried chicken you ate, blindly trusting the MFP nutritional data, or anything at all less than honest. This will ruin your ability to understand what is happening.
    In between our expectations, wishes, worrys and such, there lies reality, and its simple.

1 - be VERY diligent with tracking your nutritional data. validating everything as you go, no exceptions, no guessing.
    2 - understand it isn't going to be fun (unless you happen to like that sort of thing).
    3 - understand it isn't going to be easy (unless you're a whiz at data tracking).
    4 - understand it isn't going to feel good for a while, especially if you have a big change you are trying to make.
    5 - don't drink sugar or replace it with sugar substitutes
    6 - don't add back calories from exercize in MFP. establish your calorie base and STICK TO IT. Speak to a doctor and ensure you don't have other issues, but also ask that doctor how you would fare on a 1500 - 1700 (balanced) calorie per day plan. If you are 250 and trying to shed fat, a 1500 calorie eating plan IS NOT starvation and will not cause you to store fat.
    Lastly, understand that it will be fun, and it will be easier, and you will feel good at a point down the road. You will see yourself in the mirror, look at your results on the scale, feel the strength in your body, and say "holy s***, I did it!". Then make sure you say to yourself "I will keep it up".

• CoyotesChild
    CoyotesChild Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I might offer a few bits of humble advice here. (And I'll apologize if someone has said the same thing as I do here... I skimmed the thread but may have missed some things.)

1 - Switch to a mechanical scale. It's much easier to see when they are out of whack and to adjust accordingly. You can't really adjust most digital body weight scales if something's off. You may also want to consider doing something like getting a simple, cheap 5lb or 10lb dumbbell. Verify its weight on a couple of friend's scales if you can... and then keep it on hand in the closet or something so that you can occasionally test the accuracy of your scale. (Zero the scale, set the weight on it, and if it's off by a pound or more then you know it's not measuring properly.) And do not weigh yourself every day. Once a week, under the same conditions each time. (I.e., if you weigh yourself every Sunday morning just in your pajamas and barefoot, don't weigh yourself one week fully dressed with stuff in your pockets and expect an accurate result.)

2 - Your body needs a certain number of calories to to its basic functions. This is not "maintenance intake". It is "necessary function". Discuss specific function targets with your doctor... but your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) which is needed for that base function is determined as follows (at least, according to one source I've found):
    Age Use This Equation to Calculate Your BMR
    * Men
    18 to 30 [15.3 x weight (in kilograms)] + 679
    30 to 60 [11.6 x weight (in kilograms)] + 879
    Older than 60 [13.5 x weight (in kilograms)] + 487
    * Women
    18 to 30 [14.7 x weight (in kilograms)] + 496
    30 to 60 [8.7 x weight (in kilograms)] + 829
    Older than 60 [10.5 x weight (in kilograms)] + 596

So if we plug in your basic numbers, 28 years old, 280lbs... convert lbs to kg (divide by 2.2) we get...
    [14.7x127.27]+496 = 2367 (rounded to nearest calorie)

Then we factor in your activity level and calculate accordingly. From what I've read it seems safe to calculate you at a light activity level (multiply by 0.3) rather than moderate activity level (multiply by 0.4)
    2367 x 0.3 = 710 calories

That means that at a light activity level, that 810 calories par day becomes your starvation threshold. At a moderate activity level, that number would change to 947 calories minimum.

Now, the numbers change a bit at age 30... but that's a guideline with a little room for error. So if we calculate it all for you per age 30 we get:
    [8.7x127.27]+829 = 1936 calories
    1936 x 0.3 = 508
    1936 x 0.4 = 774

Going too close to that, or below, for more than a day or two and your body will begin to go into starvation mode and start doing everything it can to conserve calories. Including seriously slowing your metabolism.

My numbers may be off slightly... but I plugged my own data in for when I was much more serious about my workouts (getting back into it after some health issues) and the BMR I calculated came within about 100 points of the 1200BMR calorie intake requirement one of my former trainers calculated. (And she was fully trained with exercise and nutrition as he college major).

3 - While many people disrespect things like natural sugar, brown sugar, and honey... those are fine in moderation. (I put 1 tbsp of brown sugar and nothing else in my coffee in the morning, which only adds 45 calories.) The real problem is if you use a lot of artificial sweeteners. Especially if you drink a lot of diet sodas during the day figuring "Well, they have no calories, so they don't count". Here's why...

When you consume something sweet, your body is programmed by nature to expect caloric intake. Basically, sweet things tell your body "Oh boy!! Energy!!" But the problem with drinking diet sodas all day is you're constantly telling your body to expect that caloric energy. And then it doesn't get it. It's like your body is a little girl and you've been telling her for a month that she's getting a pony for Christmas, and when she unwraps her gift it's just a picture of one.

Then, just like that little girl, your body gets depressed, disappointed, and pissy. It eventually throws a little fit and says "Ok. You didn't give us what you told us we were getting? Screw you. I'm just going to hold onto this, this, and that and you don't get to play with it (burn those calories easily)". Do it often enough and for long enough, and that little girl becomes the female version of Ebeneezer Scrooge... holding onto every penny (calorie) it can.

So, you need to do three things to get that whole "change of heart because it's a Christmas Carol" thing going.

Ghost of Christmas Past = Be willing to eat things will real sugar, but in moderation. (You're giving your inner child/metabolism the sweet goodies they crave.)

Ghost of Christmas Present = Understand that weight loss and fitness are a process. Your attitude and outlook in the here and now shape how that progresses... both in your sense of motivation and even in recognizing gains you may be making that you don't see. The blessings. (As one person said, try going as much by changes in your measurements as you do with weight. If you work on your muscles with any kind of weight training, for example, you may lose 4" off your waist but not lose more than a few pounds as fat gets replaced with muscle.) Stressing out over not improving as fast as others and trying to compete with people who have a different biological makeup as yours stresses out that little metabolic kid and it starts holding onto what keeps it comfortable (like calories).

Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come = Formulate a responsible and balanced game plan and stick with it. Incorporate diet and exercise, but also things like "me time" to just relax. Give yourself one day a week as a "cheat day" break from your diet... but still be sensible. For example, when I might go to a buffet on a "cheat day" I still have rules for myself. (Actually, whether I'm on a diet or not I still do it this way.) I eat a good sized salad first, with only a small amount of dressing and no more than a few croutons... mostly fresh veg. Then I go for at least a plate of veg and proteins without carbs and as little salt as possible. After that, then I can hit the carbs and more comfort food type items because my stomach is already significantly filled with veg and proteins... so I'm not going to eat a lot of anything like mac and cheese. This kind of thing helps teach your metabolism that if it's nice, if it behaves, if it's disciplined but keeps a good nature and becomes benevolent... then it, and you,m will have a better future.

4 - This is the last one for this list here... and I touched on this earlier...

Don't see it as a competition between yourself and others. We all have different bodies. We all have different metabolisms, hormone levels, stress levels, life situations, and more. And if you judge your own progress based on the people you feel are ahead of you, rather than on your progress from the point where you started... you're GOING to keep being discouraged. Because there will ALWAYS be someone ahead of you in that journey.

But that's the thing. That's THEIR journey in their health and exercise. Not yours. Your journey is your own and nobody else's. People who have traveled similar roads can give advice and input, but nobody has traveled the same path you are one. And they never will. Because it's where you place your feet and the angle from which you see things. So you need to look all around you and see that while a lot of people may be having similar journeys... their starting points, destinations, and situations are not the same as yours.

Gauge your own progress only against where you were a week ago. Not against where someone else may be today.

Sorry the post is so long... but... yeah. Heh. Being a bit long-winded during those times I actually say anything is something about me that differs from many. (I spend most of my time saying nothing. But when I have something to say... boy do I talk/write at length.)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just took a peak at your diary. If you are weighing your food why are you using cups and spoons as measurement values? Avoid homemade and generic entries. Avoid using "servings" unless you have used the recipe builder and know what a serving size is. 2 weeks isn't enough time. Have patience.