drinking alcohol help...

Options
hey guys, so i turn 21 tomorrow and i plan on drinking and just enjoying the day with friends. im not to worried about it, but i have about 10 friends coming down (im on a school campus) for the weekend to drink and celebrate. they planned on being here from thursday-sunday, and i know they will want to drink every night (2 of my friends bday are this weekend).

i am goin to just try to enjoy the weekend, but i was wondering if anyone had ideas for drinks that arent as bad, is it better to drink beer, shots, mixed drinks, what would u do to minimize damage to my diet.

Replies

• Hixena
    Hixena Posts: 24
    Options
    heres someting you may find useful -

Calories per alcoholic drink -

Gin or vodka and tonic =126

Dark rum and coke =142

Medium glass of white wine (175ml) =130

Medium glass of red wine (175ml) =120

Bottle of wine (white) =555

Bottle of wine (red) =510

5% Lager (pint) =240-50

Cider (pint) =180-250

Stout (pint) =210

Bitter/Ale =180-230

Liqueur (50ml) =100 -170

Brandy (50ml) =110

Whiskey (25ml) =55

Mixed drink (Ready to drink) (275ml bottle) =160-228

Have a lovely celebration :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Liquor + zero calorie drink is typically the lowest calorie and probably better tasting than a light beer. A Captain and Diet Cola would be around 70 calories.

Fruity mixed drinks (margaritas, for example) are probably the highest.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Liquor + zero calorie drink is typically the lowest calorie and probably better tasting than a light beer. A Captain and Diet Cola would be around 70 calories.

Fruity mixed drinks (margaritas, for example) are probably the highest.
  • douglaswiener
    Options
    Stick to lite beer. You'll get to drink, can count calories and feel full faster drinking beer vs. other drinks. Happy B-day.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    First off make sure that you go slow. Turning 21 is usually a challenge to see how fast they can make the newbie pass out. I HIGHLY recommend that you rotate water in among the drinks. Not as a mixer, actual water. Dehydration while drinking will kill you tomorrow.

After that the general rule is that the clear liquors are better and a little lower in complex sugars. Stay away from the mixed shots and all the fufu drinks. A lot of people like clear vodka with a simple juice mixer, cranberry being the most common. Avoid drinks mixed with soda, even diet soda if possible. If you are a beer drinker you can always look for the new lower calorie beers.

Myself I just try to exercise earlier during that day and maybe get some extra water drank during the day to ensure that I am plenty hydrated before the evening festivities.

I understand that to go drinking doesn't coincide with a health diet but let's be realistic it is a 21st BDay and it is considered a big deal in modern culture. So I say, Happy Birthday, party your *kitten* off, but drink in moderation. Oh and some birthday nookie ain't all bad either.
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    ...and be careful what you eat the next day! I find that I had the most intense cravings for every kind of delicious food the next day!

"Hangover Munchies!"
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I would go with vodka, light cranberry juice and diet 7-up. It's pretty yummy, and not bad on the calories. Enjoy your celebration! :drinker:
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    and how often are you planning to turn 21?

My point of view have a blast and sort out the fall out afterwards

Happy Birthday
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This weekend I had vodka mixed with crystal light, and one of my girlfriends drank a 75 calorie beer all night, I think it was michelob ultra or light. Or there's budweiser select, it has 55 calories.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few light beers out there with at or under 100 calories out there, think Michelob Ultra or Budweiser Select, etc

Mixed drinks tend to be the worst along with dark beers.

Rum and diet coke or Jack and diet coke wouldn't be too many calories either.

The important thing is be responsible, be safe, and enjoy yourself. Ya only turn 21 once so enjoy your weekend! You can work it off later...lol! Happy Birthday!
  • Shenanstigator
    Options
    Any liquor + soda water and a lime/lemon. I usually drink vodka/soda and lime. It's low calories with the best bang for your buck for a buzz. Anything flavored is going to be super high calorie and light beer has such a low alcohol content that you usually end up drinking twice as many beers to get the same effect which leaves you bloated and with a ruined diet. ...Wow I sound like an alcoholic :)

Have fun! Be safe! Happy Birthday!
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Happy Birthday

Agree. Once I celebrated my 21st in January I only drank twice afterward... I drank more when I was under 21!!! (probably shouldn't admit that, but oh well) I say just enjoy your day and don't worry about it. Just make sure to drink lots of water the next few days after that weekend. Have fun!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    First off make sure that you go slow. Turning 21 is usually a challenge to see how fast they can make the newbie pass out. I HIGHLY recommend that you rotate water in among the drinks. Not as a mixer, actual water. Dehydration while drinking will kill you tomorrow.

After that the general rule is that the clear liquors are better and a little lower in complex sugars. Stay away from the mixed shots and all the fufu drinks. A lot of people like clear vodka with a simple juice mixer, cranberry being the most common. Avoid drinks mixed with soda, even diet soda if possible. If you are a beer drinker you can always look for the new lower calorie beers.

Myself I just try to exercise earlier during that day and maybe get some extra water drank during the day to ensure that I am plenty hydrated before the evening festivities.

I understand that to go drinking doesn't coincide with a health diet but let's be realistic it is a 21st BDay and it is considered a big deal in modern culture. So I say, Happy Birthday, party your *kitten* off, but drink in moderation. Oh and some birthday nookie ain't all bad either.

I have to agree here!!! Don't drink to get drunk...just have a few drinks to have fun! If you drink Vodka and diet seven up in a tall glass...you can easily have a water the next go round without pressure from your friends, they will be having too much fun to notice. Get the bartender to throw some limes and lemons in both and it will spice up the water too! Tell them you don't want to do shots (a sure fire way to get alcohol poisoning and a TON of wasted calories!!) and if they love you...they will understand!

The best way to fool friends who are trying to get you smashed is to DANCE ALOT!!!! have vodka and cranberry juice and then alternate with watered down cranberry juice when you have had enough. If your dancing tons it makes sense to have a bottle of water too and the clubs often will give them out for free if you bat your eyelashes!!!! The dancing is also great cardio and can count as exercise points for your drinks!

I also just wanted to say (from one with too much experience) blacking out, throwing up etc all that funny stuff everyone laughs about is actually signs of alcohol poisoning and can be life threatening. Just be smart and have fun!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
  • Twasney
    Options
    ...and be careful what you eat the next day! I find that I had the most intense cravings for every kind of delicious food the next day!

"Hangover Munchies!"

Oh ain't that the truth...our hung over hang out spot in my town is called BONS and the breakfast is greasy and nasty and SO GOOD when you are hung over!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you like light beer, go with the ultra low calorie beers like MGD 64 or Bud Select 55. Otherwise shots are a good option if you can limit them and drink plenty of no calorie chasers between shots (Distilled liquor (whiskey, vodka, gin, etc.) have no carbs and are usually pretty low in calories, but that doesn't make them "diet" drinks.). If you like wine, sangria made with diet drinks (diet Sprite/Sierra Mist/7-up, diet Ocean Spray juices, diet lemonade) and fresh fruit is a good way to stretch the calories and your budget since even cheap wine can be good in sangria. Have fun and please be safe!
  • Twasney
    Options
    This weekend I had vodka mixed with crystal light, and one of my girlfriends drank a 75 calorie beer all night, I think it was michelob ultra or light. Or there's budweiser select, it has 55 calories.

How was the vodka and crystal light???
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Happy Birthday

This! Enjoy your birthday shots and drinks and then be mindful of your drinks the other nights.