Help me build a beginner strength training routine

Options
I'm a bit embarrassed about how unfit I am but I'm trying to build a routine. I'm using SWORKIT for body weight exercises and beginners yoga.

I see two options.

3 days 10 min targeted workouts abs, arms, legs and 20 min walking 3.0 plus 2 days 40 min whole body yoga.

Or

3 days 15 min whole body strength training and 15 min walking 3.0 plus 2 days 40 min whole body yoga.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Nelson

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    What are your goals with your routine? 10-15 minute workouts probably won't make much of a difference. If you're going for strength, then I would recommend learning to use barbells and dumbbells over body weight -- but also depends on your goals and what you want to get out of it.
  • schoolbus596
    schoolbus596 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting. I'm 60yr. old female. 5'6" at 170 lb. how much weight should I lift& for how long. to firm up my arms & breast??
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.ca/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581

The link is to a bodyweight exercise routine that gets progressively more challenging, which is a good thing. It means you can get stronger. Little to no equipment, and you can do it in your own home.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are new to weight training I would recommend finding one that has already been built. Check out bodybuilding.com.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you don't have experience, I would never build your own routine. You will see a lot greater results by following a well designed structured program.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The M&S and aworkouttouine ones are good for a beginner.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com
    They have TONS of beginner programs and their app is super handy for tracking while working out!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a full body workout? If you have access to weights, Stronglifts may be a good start but even at beginner stage, will probably take more than 15 minutes to complete, three days a week. Do you enjoy the two days of yoga? If not, I would take the three days, devote all thirty minutes to lifting and do cardio in place of the two yoga days...but that's more personal preference.

I would also second those above who have suggested Bodybuilding.com.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If given the two options, I would definitely choose the second option.

For most beginners i recommend 3x a week full body workouts along with 2 days of stretching or active recovery.

This should be perfect for your current level.
  • Infinitejest01
    Infinitejest01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    deadlift. bench press. squat.
    bent over row. overhead press. bicep curl.

go light weights at first. large breakfast and small dinner.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    YouTube is a great place where you can find good weight lift training. I was in your shoes, I didn't know what to do. So I did a lot of research, now I have built my own home gym at a very reasonable price. Working out at home is super convenient and no awkward feeling. Amazon has good free weight equipments that you could buy at a reasonable price
    Buy weights and never buy a treadmill. You can get your cardio just by jumping a rope, or what have you.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

What about some form of tricep exercise?

2 meals in an entire 12-16 hour period? Yeah no, 3-6 small meals are the best way to stay satiated through out a day. Fibre and protein both being good for staging off hunger. What about reps, sets, and progression scheme? Id suggest a beginners structured program like strong lifts or starting strength if you're actually looking to increase your strength levels. Anyone who says to throw a workout together yourself is more than likely stalled in their own training by doing the exact same thing.

• psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

2 meals in an entire 12-16 hour period? Yeah no, 3-6 small meals are the best way to stay satiated through out a day. Fibre and protein both being good for staging off hunger. What about reps, sets, and progression scheme? Id suggest a beginners structured program like strong lifts or starting strength if you're actually looking to increase your strength levels. Anyone who says to throw a workout together yourself is more than likely stalled in their own training by doing the exact same thing.

3-6 might might benefit you, but many people benefit from the IF protocols in terms of satiety and nutrient uptake; take my wife for example who gets sick if she even tries to eat within the first few hours she is awake. She eats all her calories at lunch and dinner. So the bold is completely personal and your recommendations are just as poor as others for programming.
  • jessef593
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

3-6 might might benefit you, but many people benefit from the IF protocols in terms of satiety and nutrient uptake; take my wife for example who gets sick if she even tries to eat within the first few hours she is awake. She eats all her calories at lunch and dinner. So the bold is completely personal and your recommendations are just as poor as others for programming.

Mind if I ask you're reasoning in regards to the programing? My recommendation was purely towards gaining strength if that was his goal.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Mind if I ask you're reasoning in regards to the programing? My recommendation was purely towards gaining strength if that was his goal.

he is a beginner. Period.

He wants to use the app sworkit which creates custom workouts for you specifically. It's similar to freeletics. These are balanced programs, not something he's creating or doing for himself.

Based on this, his best option to increase endurance, strength, balance, and mobility is 3x weekly full body training along with stretching (in this case, yoga). He gave two options that are available to him, he didn't ask for a beginner bodybuilding routine.

And yes, to both of your comments... they are irrelevant to the OP. Meal timing doesn't matter and he didn't ask for this advice.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options

I actually agree with what you said IRT training. Telling someone to go do one of the big 4 without addressing reps, sets or load is basically useless. That is why a structured program, as you and I both suggested, would provide much greater benefit to the OP.

ETA: if the app lays out that, then it I have no arguments and would agree with the 3 day full body.
  • jessef593
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

he is a beginner. Period.

He wants to use the app sworkit which creates custom workouts for you specifically. It's similar to freeletics. These are balanced programs, not something he's creating or doing for himself.

Based on this, his best option to increase endurance, strength, balance, and mobility is 3x weekly full body training along with stretching (in this case, yoga). He gave two options that are available to him, he didn't ask for a beginner bodybuilding routine.

And yes, to both of your comments... they are irrelevant to the OP. Meal timing doesn't matter and he didn't ask for this advice.

Alrighty, I see your point, and I wasn't trying to steer the OP in a seperate directions. Just that my key words were if he was looking to increase purely his strength levels that Id suggest a strength training routine like strong lifts, if I was to suggest a body building routine, Id say some sort of P/P/L routine or even PHAT. The meal timing comment was purely based off of another posters comment about eating only 2x a day. Which can work well for others, but can also result in overeating during those meals and possible binging along with snacking through out the day. Thanks for your insight