The weight of rice

Options
I was astonished today when I weighed my rice.... now I weighed it after it had been cooked. Is this correct? Because 75 grams of rice is 224 calories.... well this was a very small amount... not enough to have been called a meal?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You would weigh it raw/dry...75 grams dry weight. The water from cooking is going to increase the volume and weight.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try that. We normally cook in batches which is why I weighed it after but I think I will need to do this little experiment once so I know.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends which database entry you used... raw, weigh it raw, cooked, weigh it cooked...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    224 calories sounds like it is for 75 grams of dry (raw) rice.

I use the system entry "Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked, unenriched, with salt" which I got from the USDA database and get 98 calories. 75 grams cooked is about a half cup.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If you weigh it cooked, use the cooked entry. If you weigh it raw, use the raw entry. Don't mix them up
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Is there a British version of USDA?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The additional weight from cooking is the water it absorbs. That's not going to add calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Just tag whatever you're searching for in the database with USDA...i.e. "rice steamed USDA" or something along those lines.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rice is one of the few things i weigh cooked(not that i eat it often anyways). there are entries for cooked rice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I live in Australia and use the USDA entries for all fresh food (meat, veg,fruit) and generic stuff like rice/pasta etc
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Always weigh dry.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try that. We normally cook in batches which is why I weighed it after but I think I will need to do this little experiment once so I know.

If you wanna get really technical about it, you can batch cook it and make a recipe in MFP. Weigh it before as raw weight and enter that as one ingredient (in grams), enter water as the other ingredient. Then weigh it again when you're done, and enter the cooked weight as the number of servings. Then whenever you eat from that batch, enter the number of grams you ate as the number of servings.

Why yes, I am a nerd, why do you ask? You're welcome. :)

This is the best way when batch cooking - because it will dry out in the fridge and lose water, so if you weigh out the whole thing then as you eat it the actually nutritional value will be slightly different for each portion of 100g.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    rice is one of the few things i weigh cooked(not that i eat it often anyways). there are entries for cooked rice.
    I feel like I get a more accurate measurement dry since the water cooked in isn't always the same.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

In terms of that amazing nutrition database, no. But you don't need a "British version". Just use the USDA numbers, they apply just as much here as they do in America.