Protein shake. Before or after gym?

Options
Pre or post workout? I workout after work in evenings. So I can't make them in my office.

I prefer to have them at night as they fill a snack role as well for me.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have always heard after is best.
  • BlakeRudolf31
    BlakeRudolf31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There are studies and articles out there that claim each is better than the other. In the grand sheen of things, it's not going to make enough of a difference to really matter. I would just how th whatever you are most comfortable with.

Like, myself, I take my protein shake before because after my workouts I have zero desire to drink my shake.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing has little to no effect as long as you get in protein/calories in throughout the day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't even drink them.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have mine before: I like having something in the tank when I work out. I would only advise to listen to your body if you choose to drink one before--sometimes people get an upset stomach, especially if it has high fiber content.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine after because I need to refuel once I'm done. I eat a banana before I workout though, so I never go in totally empty.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Is there any real benefit to Protein shakes??? I mean - yes I am sure there are tons of studies that say yes - but for 99% of the population can you even tell the difference??? For years I bought into that and did the protein thing and supplements like crazy and never could tell difference between that and when I didnt take anything and just worked out and ate well. The gains were the same. If you train like crazy and eat well I think in 99% of cases your results will be the same with or without protein powder. I am sure many will disagree. So to those I say - do what makes you feel good. I am just saying I spent tons of money over the years and got just as good results with or without supplements. But then again - I was not trying to be a power lifter or body builder - I just wanted to look in shape. So my goals were more modest.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    @trigden1991 Totally agree, I really struggle to get enough protein in without having some sort of protein snack or shake over the course of the day. Despite my love of all things chicken and egg :lol:
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I do so after the gym, because I can't stomach a full meal after my training. So, it holds me over until dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    First you need to figure out if you need it. If you're reaching protein goals without it, then there's no need for a protein shake at all. It's just added calories.
    As mentioned above, unless you're an elite athlete, the whole protein before/after etc. hasn't shown significant results in general population. The diet and fitness industry created this ritual to sell more supplements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Few things I love as much as my protein shake with strawberries after working out, cos I'm all worn out and it really brings me back to life, now if it does have an impact or not, there are many studies about it, I don't know, don't care, it just feels good and I hit my protein goal for the day ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    Is there any real benefit to Protein shakes??? I mean - yes I am sure there are tons of studies that say yes - but for 99% of the population can you even tell the difference???...

The answer to that question is "it depends". If you're already getting adequate protein intake via the rest of your diet, there's no benefit to them and they're entirely unnecessary. If you're using them as a source to supplement your protein intake because you're not otherwise getting sufficient amounts, they're beneficial. As trigden1991 said above, there's nothing magical about them - they're just another food source, one which is rich in protein and (usually) low in carbs/fats.

Can 99% of the population tell the difference? In the long term, probably. Adequate protein intake helps spare muscle, so over time the difference in body composition would most likely be significant (as opposed to somebody who's chronically not getting adequate protein intake).

As to the OP's question - Alan Aragon authored a very detailed research review about the "anabolic window" for nutrient timing. If you want to get right to the meat and potatoes of it, skip down to the headings "Discussion" and "Practical applications" near the end of the review.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I drink one a day. Usually as a mid morning snack.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm tying to get most of my calories from
    Protein versus carbs and what not. It's hard to get to a decent amount from food alone. I can't eat that much meat in a day. And the protein powder I use has no sugar and is light on calories so I believe it's a good way to get that extra protein. And I am looking to help feed my muscles some beneficial stuff after working them so hard. I'm not looking to be a body builder in any shape or form but I do believe fueling muscles with protein is helpful. That's why I ask.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Before, after and during. Gains, bro.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Is there any real benefit to Protein shakes??? I mean - yes I am sure there are tons of studies that say yes - but for 99% of the population can you even tell the difference??? For years I bought into that and did the protein thing and supplements like crazy and never could tell difference between that and when I didnt take anything and just worked out and ate well. The gains were the same. If you train like crazy and eat well I think in 99% of cases your results will be the same with or without protein powder. I am sure many will disagree. So to those I say - do what makes you feel good. I am just saying I spent tons of money over the years and got just as good results with or without supplements. But then again - I was not trying to be a power lifter or body builder - I just wanted to look in shape. So my goals were more modest.

The benefit is you can get a lot of protein for relatively low calories vs most other foods. Plus it is more convenient to drink a shake than carry around chicken breasts.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

The benefit is you can get a lot of protein for relatively low calories vs most other foods. Plus it is more convenient to drink a shake than carry around chicken breasts.

I carry cooked chicken breasts around with me all the time. Usually in my back pocket. Perhaps this is why I have so few friends...

OP, do what works for you. As others have stated, nutrient timing is overblown unless you're an elite athlete. Personally, I like to work out on an empty stomach and thus prefer drinking a shake (or smoothie with added protein powder, in my case) after a workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually have it after...but it doesn't really matter...I use mine because I eat vegetarian a lot and have difficulty hitting my calorie targets sometimes and that's the most important thing...after gym just tends to be a convenient time for me to have it since I'll usually be eating dinner about and hour and half later.