Is there a point to lifting weights if I'm still fat?

Options
I'm still 30 lbs away from my goal weight and my original goal was to just do cardio in the gym until I get to my goal weight and THEN start a weight lifting routine. I was wondering what you all thought about this? I didn't feel like I could really build much muscle being at such a calorie deficit and whatever I did build I didn't think it would even be noticeable with all this fat around me.

Curious to see what you guys think. Maybe my mind will get changed

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! Google "newbie gains," but above all, lifting is supposed to help preserve what muscle you have left. More muscle means you'll look better when you drop the fat and, in itself, muscle burns slightly more calories so will help overall.
    Only snag is, as I'm finding, you'll be a bit weak when you're eating in a deficit but not as weak as not lifting at all!

Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When losing weight there's a danger of losing muscle as well as the fat you want to lose.

There's three things you can do to avoid that as much as possible:
    Moderate deficit.
    Good protein intake.
    Strength/resistance training.

If you want the best body you can have when you get to goal weight then start lifting now. Whether you gain any muscle or just retain the maximum amount you possibly can is irrelevant - it will still be the best you can do.

IMHO a mixture of both cardio (fitness/health/higher calorie allowance) and strength training (strength/health/feeling good/looking good) is best.

Plus why not practice for maintenance at goal weight now rather than have to learn new habits later down the line?
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    of course there is, lifting weights, cardio, any exercise will help burn fat, and when you are lifting you are building/shaping the muscles as well
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes! As others above said, it helps you maintain muscle as you lose weight. I suggest you check out this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1276219/i-went-from-morbidly-obese-to-6-pack-abs-ask-me-anything/p1
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes. You don't want to lose muscle else you'll end up skinny fat.