Bad tasting, healthy food.

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 sodas for $10 is a good deal??

Geez, I could probably feed a family of 4 a healthy dinner for 4-5 days for $10. And I could certainly make a lot more burgers and fries than that at home for $10.

That is an awesome deal! I cant find the info, but I'm pretty sure 1 big mac meal here is around $10. I could maybe, maybe feed my husband and I for $10 a day, but there wouldn't be much meat included. It would be rice/pasta/veggie/egg dishes, even eggs are $5 a dozen here (Free range straight from the farm down the road from me).

Girl, you need to move lol :) McDonald's Big Mac combos are around $5 by me.

We went to a semi-fast food Italian restaurant this weekend and with a free kid's combo coupon, we had a large meal for $21, for the 5 of us. It also included all you can eat amazing breadsticks :D

Now tonight I did a baked potato bar at home- the potatoes I got on sale last week for 1.29/5lb bag (did a partial bag), bacon 2.99 for the lb pkg, and then a few cents for other toppings. Served with fresh blueberries which are on sale for .99 a pint this week. So around $6 and then I modified what I had and made a huge salad with the bacon, spinach-$1 for bags this week, mushrooms-also $1 for a package and then sweet mini peppers, tossed together with low calorie Italian dressing. All said and done around $8 for the 5 of us tonight. But now my kitchen is a huge mess and I'm avoiding going that way right now :p
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Geez, I could probably feed a family of 4 a healthy dinner for 4-5 days for $10. And I could certainly make a lot more burgers and fries than that at home for $10.

That is an awesome deal! I cant find the info, but I'm pretty sure 1 big mac meal here is around $10. I could maybe, maybe feed my husband and I for $10 a day, but there wouldn't be much meat included. It would be rice/pasta/veggie/egg dishes, even eggs are $5 a dozen here (Free range straight from the farm down the road from me).

We went to a semi-fast food Italian restaurant this weekend and with a free kid's combo coupon, we had a large meal for $21, for the 5 of us. It also included all you can eat amazing breadsticks :D

Now tonight I did a baked potato bar at home- the potatoes I got on sale last week for 1.29/5lb bag (did a partial bag), bacon 2.99 for the lb pkg, and then a few cents for other toppings. Served with fresh blueberries which are on sale for .99 a pint this week. So around $6 and then I modified what I had and made a huge salad with the bacon, spinach-$1 for bags this week, mushrooms-also $1 for a package and then sweet mini peppers, tossed together with low calorie Italian dressing. All said and done around $8 for the 5 of us tonight. But now my kitchen is a huge mess and I'm avoiding going that way right now :p

Where I live the potatoes and blueberries would be more than $8. You must live somewhere with a low cost of living.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Where I live the potatoes and blueberries would be more than $8. You must live somewhere with a low cost of living.

Michigan :)

eta: I shop at Meijer and Aldi. Between the two there's always loss leader deals on produce. This week Meijer is also doing their 11 for $10 deal and the spinach and mushrooms are a part of that!
  • Obxdee
    Obxdee Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Fast food is cheap and the industry knows about food addictions, they base their food on those addiction, such as salty sweet, salty savory (the bacon craze), sweet and gooey, etc. I dont think good food tastes bad, we just need to adjust our habits and eventually when you see a Carls Jr commercial you can recognize how awfully unhealthy they are. I eat a lot of tuna, it is one of my staples. bad food is an aquired taste as is healthy food.

Oh gawd, no.....

Hyperpalatibility is a thing. Food addiction is not. Yes, the food industry wants food to taste good - that's kind of the point. If fast food was addicting, drivers of McLane's trucks would need to be armed instread of drivers of Wells Fargo trucks. I was an assistant manager of a fast food place for several years; only time my staff was ever held up at gunpoint was when they were taking a deposit to the bank; absolutely zero holdups during truck deliveries.

OMG! Laughed
  • Obxdee
    Obxdee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG, laughed so hard
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I just got back from doing a small shop, $90 later..

I'll only list the on sale items. For reference 1kg = 2.2lbs

500g cottage cheese- $4.79
    1kg block cheese - $9.00
    310g Frozen pizza (Dr oetker)- $5.49
    1.2kg Chicken Breast - $7.25
    850g frozen stir fry veggies - $4.99
    2.5kg potatoes - $3.79
    100g spinach - $3.00
    500g Bacon - $5.20
    806g Mushrooms- $5.59

Like i said, these were the on sale items, so i saved a fair bit of $$$
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't dispute that healthier eating tends to cost less than constantly eating out. But recently, having to buy food shared by others kind of made me grumble a bit sometimes. Grapes, apples, cherries, and avocados, for instance, tend to be fruit I like. Even with reasonable per pound costs, these add up quickly in poundage and tend to cost a lot. And they're yummy sweet favorites, so they tend to get gone quickly, too.

I haven't given too too much thought to it, but I almost wonder if your diet has to be somewhat restricted to eat a strictly or mostly whole foods diet for not a lot of money. You wouldn't just walk into the store and buy just anything you like; many items would simply cost too damn much
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I don't dispute that healthier eating tends to cost less than constantly eating out. But recently, having to buy food shared by others kind of made me grumble a bit sometimes. Grapes, apples, cherries, and avocados, for instance, tend to be fruit I like. Even with reasonable per pound costs, these add up quickly in poundage and tend to cost a lot. And they're yummy sweet favorites, so they tend to get gone quickly, too.

I haven't given too too much thought to it, but I almost wonder if your diet has to be somewhat restricted to eat a strictly or mostly whole foods diet for not a lot of money. You wouldn't just walk into the store and buy just anything you like; many items would simply cost too damn much

If you are on a budget, there has to be some kind of restriction. Restriction isn't in itself something terrible. I eat what I want, but I don't buy "just anything I like". I buy what I like and can afford. I weigh what I want against what it costs. Some things are more expensive than other things, but I buy them because that's what I need. Sometimes I buy more expensive things just because I want them a lot more than something else that is just as good but cheaper. But I usually choose the cheapest alternative that is good enough. I also think about what I need and try to not buy more than I need. I don't buy large amounts of things I would overeat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    When you compare the cost of cooking at home against the cost of that same meal prepared in a restaurant you really don't get a true comparison unless you allot some value to your time that it took you to shop for the ingredients, prepare the meal and then clean up time afterwards. That was my point earlier.

I know...the thought might be bizarre to include those costs in your home made meal. I was a cost analyst many years ago in another life. I also had a home manufacturing business where when I figured the cost of making an item I had to include my overhead such as equipment, electricity, time... etc.

Don't get me wrong...I cook at least 95% of my meals at home. Part of the reason I do is cost, taste, nutrition and sadly because I can't eat out very often because of sodium content. When I do eat out I have to find low sodium items and there just aren't that many options in restaurants.

Bizarre to pay myself to feed myself? Yep, that is bizarre to me. Gas to the store, electricity/gas, even cost of the home. Sure, I could figuring those in. But each meal would be such a tiny portion of most of those that I really don't see it being a huge factor.

But anyway you figure the cost it's going to be cheaper to eat at home. $10 for one meal for 2 people is not a bargain.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    When you compare the cost of cooking at home against the cost of that same meal prepared in a restaurant you really don't get a true comparison unless you allot some value to your time that it took you to shop for the ingredients, prepare the meal and then clean up time afterwards. That was my point earlier.

I know...the thought might be bizarre to include those costs in your home made meal. I was a cost analyst many years ago in another life. I also had a home manufacturing business where when I figured the cost of making an item I had to include my overhead such as equipment, electricity, time... etc.

Don't get me wrong...I cook at least 95% of my meals at home. Part of the reason I do is cost, taste, nutrition and sadly because I can't eat out very often because of sodium content. When I do eat out I have to find low sodium items and there just aren't that many options in restaurants.

Bizarre to pay myself to feed myself? Yep, that is bizarre to me. Gas to the store, electricity/gas, even cost of the home. Sure, I could figuring those in. But each meal would be such a tiny portion of most of those that I really don't see it being a huge factor.

But anyway you figure the cost it's going to be cheaper to eat at home. $10 for one meal for 2 people is not a bargain.

No one is suggesting you pay yourself a stipend for the cooking you do, but acknowledging that individual time is valuable and that on some days a better use of that time is picking up takeout or going out to eat rather than time spent in the kitchen. You don't think your time is valuable?

I don't find $10 for a meal for two outrageous but it all depends on individual perspective and budgets.

I'd still love to see the example of feeding a family of four for 3 days on $10.

Me too, I thought I was pretty thrifty but that's a whole other level!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Imagine to be, say, a lawyer who charges 200$ per hour.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    So many people say eating healthier is more expensive than take away. I see it here (Australia) regularly when overweight people who just about live on Mcdonalds and pizza etc say they can't afford to buy healthy groceries...

If my husband and I had dinner at Mcdonalds every night for a week it would cost around $140 for 7 days, this does not include breakfast, lunch, snacks and the staples of bread, butter, milk etc If i tighten the purse strings i can do a whole weeks grocery shopping with loads of veggies, fruit and chicken breast for a little over $200 for the two of us. If i include "junk food" like chips, chocolates, biscuits(cookies) ready frozen meals, meat pies etc it would easily jump up to $300.

I made a massive stir fry last night that was loaded with a host of different veggies, chicken breast and rice which will portion out to 5-6 meals (i made way too much), at a guess i'd say the whole thing wouldn't have cost more than $10.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    So many people say eating healthier is more expensive than take away. I see it here (Australia) regularly when overweight people who just about live on Mcdonalds and pizza etc say they can't afford to buy healthy groceries...

If my husband and I had dinner at Mcdonalds every night for a week it would cost around $140 for 7 days, this does not include breakfast, lunch, snacks and the staples of bread, butter, milk etc If i tighten the purse strings i can do a whole weeks grocery shopping with loads of veggies, fruit and chicken breast for a little over $200 for the two of us. If i include "junk food" like chips, chocolates, biscuits(cookies) ready frozen meals, meat pies etc it would easily jump up to $300.

I made a massive stir fry last night that was loaded with a host of different veggies, chicken breast and rice which will portion out to 5-6 meals (i made way too much), at a guess i'd say the whole thing wouldn't have cost more than $10.

Perhaps those who do fast food every night and think it's inexpensive tend to favor the dollar menus.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

If you are on a budget, there has to be some kind of restriction. Restriction isn't in itself something terrible. I eat what I want, but I don't buy "just anything I like". I buy what I like and can afford. I weigh what I want against what it costs. Some things are more expensive than other things, but I buy them because that's what I need. Sometimes I buy more expensive things just because I want them a lot more than something else that is just as good but cheaper. But I usually choose the cheapest alternative that is good enough. I also think about what I need and try to not buy more than I need. I don't buy large amounts of things I would overeat.

Very good points. Nothing's free; a budget is a budget and working one out is going to take some intelligent thought either way!
  • Christine_72
    Options

Perhaps those who do fast food every night and think it's inexpensive tend to favor the dollar menus.

Good point. The $140 a week was based on a big mac meal deal each.

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you wanna eat that "bad food" go for an extra walk. Do an extra work out.. my husband bought me a peanut butter blizzard the other day. Think i ate it? You bet i did! Lol... i just about died when i added it however lol but no regrets it was amazing! Just work out a lil harder is all:) if you tell yourself you cant have something you may set yourself up to fail.. just make it work;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    If you wanna eat that "bad food" go for an extra walk. Do an extra work out.. my husband bought me a peanut butter blizzard the other day. Think i ate it? You bet i did! Lol... i just about died when i added it however lol but no regrets it was amazing! Just work out a lil harder is all:) if you tell yourself you cant have something you may set yourself up to fail.. just make it work;)
    I'm of the "life happens" mindset, too.

Each day I plan to stay within my calories. But if something unplanned comes up, I have enough flexibility to include it in my day if I want to, and compensate for it elsewhere - be it adding in a little more exercise, cutting back a bit on what I consume the next day, or some combination of the two.

Because life is too short to not eat delicious things. :)