How did you get heavy to begin with?

Oh I know, eating..food. I don't mean that. I mean was there something that precipitated the weight gain? For me I was having so much inner grief about things...sad about many things that eating helped me not feel anxious and depressed. So you could say it was emotional internal problems that were too painful to feel that made me seek out something to calm troubled waters. And it was food.

Replies

• Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    edited January 2017
    I was fat after I had my third child. The reason was because I didn't exercise. I was in a new town and didn't know anyone and had no babysitter, was breastfeeding etc. Excuses really, but that was what actually caused it. Truth was I got lazy and didn't work out. When I started working out like I normally did the weight came off.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Well. I've eaten at various times because I've been bored, lonely, celebratory, angry, out of control, and just plain complacent.

I've been at my recent heaviest weight because of contentment in my work and home situation, and the abundance of snacks around me. I don't have constant willpower so I am prone to giving in to 'treat' myself. I go for afternoon teas with friends. I buy frothy coffees and pastries whilst shopping.

AND my hobbies are mostly sedentary. Going to the theatre/cinema, reading. I have never ever liked team sport (no thank you to getting cold, muddy and out of breath) so I've never had a really active hobby (I do am dram but it's hardly active cardio!!). And then there's where I live - it's cold and rainy this time of year!! And whilst others can make themselves go out and jog in the rain, I just can't. I'm not that kind of person!!

So. A short history of Why I Am Fat ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    being unhappy in a very bad marriage
  • xFie92
    xFie92 Posts: 3 Member
    I lose control of myself. Thats all
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Laziness ultimately - used back pain from an injury and working a desk job the last 3 years as an excuse.
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Bereavement was my excuse in the beginning, then it just became a habit to not exercise and eat high calorie meals. I got a boyfriend who loves take outs just as much as me and I got comfortable. I don't know why I stopped because now I'm back exercising and eating well I feel soooo much better!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I was teenie...100 pounds soaking wet, size 0 (my mom said there is no such thing..lol...but I had a closet full of them!)

I ripped the cartiledge between my abs one day, making the *kitten* bed. Couldn't move almost anything without pain for over a year. I recovered from that....only to injure my neck a year later. 80 lbs took nothing to pile on when I stopped moving.
  • strahant
    strahant Posts: 1 Member
    I did a good but very restrictive diet and lost 40 lbs but then rebelled and gained everything back plus some. It didn't help that I broke my ankle in the middle of this rebellion and was laid up on the couch for several weeks. I'm finding a more grace-full approach to weight loss is working much better, as I struggle less with eating something "because I deserve this."
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    I consumed more calories than I burned...
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Depression, agoraphobia, too much ice cream, and then starting a metabolism destroying, hunger inducing medication.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    I got very depressed when a long term relationship broke down and although I tried to keep myself occupied to stave off the depression I still found myself with much time alone, and I ended up using food - specifically high density junk food - for comfort. I would regularly consume 2000 calories of junk in an evening watching a movie for example. Then a new relationship came along with a woman who liked larger men and, although no longer depressed and overeating junk, was basically de-motivating as far as my weight was concerned as we were comfortable and happy with each other. When that relationship ended rather than slotting back into my previous depression - junk food - weight gain cycle I decided to upgrade!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Too much fast food and sweets, not enough moving. I was always on the go as a child and teenager but once I got married and got a desk job I pretty much sat at work all day and then went home and sat in front of the tv all evening. Combine that with too many stops for fast food for lunch and dinner and it wasn't hard to gain 60 lbs.
  • letme1
    letme1 Posts: 522 Member
    Laziness/Stress :(
  • Jamie7861
    Jamie7861 Posts: 15 Member
    Used food as mood changer.
    If I was to celebrate I'd eat, if I was bored, I'd eat. If I was tired and had to stay up, eat
    If I knew I'd be around unhealthy foods during the weekend, I'd say " this week is Shot" and I'd eat u healthy all week!
    No more!!! Add me if ya like! Down 35 and going!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I consumed more calories than I burned...

This.
  • jodie5277
    jodie5277 Posts: 17 Member
    I gained all my weight will my first child..i was young and told my self that it was all baby weight and i could loose it... And now i have been fighting with it for 19 years.... the up and down roller coaster.. i also am a stress eater and that does not help at all... I have health issues and just lost my sister very sudden so, i have put my foot down and am going to get on the right path and get healthy so, my mom does not have to bury two of her kids and mine wont be with out a mom
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Parents who didn't teach me about proper portion sizes/nutrition and not caring about those for my first fourteen years of adulthood
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Got out of commercial roofing but kept eating like I was roofing ten to fourteen hours per day.

Wonder what a Fitbit would have registered in my roofing days.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    PTSD. But Im over it for the most part now. Only took 4 years to stop thinking about it!