Options
2»

Replies

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    joranga wrote: »
    By starving your body of calories your body goes into starvation mode ans stores food as fat instead of using it for energy or repair.
    Completely untrue.
    joranga wrote: »
    1200 calories a day is dangerous and detriment to your health
    If you are tall or active, yes. But not everyone's the same. Small sedentary people with efficient metabolisms, like me, won't lose any weight without getting close to 1200. My maintenance calories are only 1500. If I'm not watching my intake i naturally eat about 1700 calories which makes me gain. For another person, 1700 would be very low and cause fast weight loss.

MFP's lower limit is 1200 because that CAN be a healthy amount for weight loss. We're not talking about under 1000 calories a day, which is not healthy for anyone. No adult is that small.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    emiinz wrote: »
    I'm aiming for 1200 a day too but seem to keep ending up closer to 1500 or 1600 - does anyone have any good breakfast ideas that will keep me feeling fuller for longer? I normally have toast and some fruit but usually end up snacking later on and am struggling to find something quick and tasty. Thanks!

Protein, fat and/or fiber are filling. Different combinations for different people.

Try Greek yogurt, frozen raspberries, Fiber One cereal and chopped nuts........this has protein, fat and fiber.

Or - homemade Egg McMuffins - bake 9 eggs + 9 egg whites in a 9" pan. Cut into 9 squares. Freeze portions with a slice of Canadian bacon. Add a 2% cheese slice and a toasted high fiber English muffin.

I choose to eat more, but at 1200 you just about have to make every calorie count.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    emiinz wrote: »
    I'm aiming for 1200 a day too but seem to keep ending up closer to 1500 or 1600 - does anyone have any good breakfast ideas that will keep me feeling fuller for longer? I normally have toast and some fruit but usually end up snacking later on and am struggling to find something quick and tasty. Thanks!

I'd be starving too. Toast and fruit...all sugar. Try getting a better balance of protein, carbs, and fat. Keep the toast, add an egg. Or ditch the toast and fruit and eat a couple eggs and 25g of avocado. Just shooting off ideas. I literally would never choose to eat fruit and toast in a deficit. I can't even deal with that in maintenance.
  • emiinz
    emiinz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you @bbell1985 & @teabea thats so helpful! i'm going to try all of your suggestions :)
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job, but can't eat 1200 calories a day. It is too little. I have lost 6 lbs since Jan 2nd with 1400 calories a day and no workouts. ( end of quarter at work so I am exhausted and can't workout)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I have done 1200 a day and lost....my will to live. :wink: No really, it's not enough food for me (or for most people, honestly, and if you're exercising, you better be eatin' back those cals), and I lost my desire to work out, the ability to enjoy a meal out, let alone a scoop of ice cream on a summer evening, a cocktail on the weekends, etc, etc.

Don't be in a hurry to lose by slashing cals to the bare minimum. Be in it for the long haul, have some patience, and give yourself a small calorie deficit rather than a huge one. The inches will come off and be more likely to stay off if you set yourself more realistic goals. :smile:

This is the best post/advice ever.