Any nontraditional students here?

Options
rabbitlvr_
rabbitlvr_ Posts: 24 Member
As an "older" person with commitments like family, work, household, and school I find it challenging at times to commit to eating well and exercising. The study life can put a damper on the ability to be more active, but I do try.

Anyone else a nontraditional student? What are some things you've done to be successful?

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan meals and/or have lots of food prep. It sucks but spend a weekend afternoon prepping for the week. That why you can just toss in what you need and make something real fast.

Another trick I heard about is eat pretty much the same thing everyday. It's boring but you will meet all your goals and can focus on more important things.
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options
    Ugh I can't eat the same thing-- I get discouraged and give up. I find it easier to rotate between foods and make different combinations. I have limited resources and my fridge isn't very big, so I can only prep so far out.

I also have the tendency to get REALLY hungry during night classes.
  • cee134
    Options
    You are going to have to do planing, prepping, and cooking. There's no way around it. I wish there was.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    You are going to have to do planing, prepping, and cooking. There's no way around it. I wish there was.

+1
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options
    you said you have a family...what is your wife doing this whole time. You've got our own private chef my man...take advantage of it!

#sammichesfordays

Um, I'm the wife lol. I do all of the cooking and I also cook for him too. A lot of those foods aren't conducive to weight loss, either...
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options
    Is anyone who's posted a nontraditional student?
  • cee134
    Options
    Slow cooker recipes work well this time of year.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    rabbitlvr_ wrote: »
    you said you have a family...what is your wife doing this whole time. You've got our own private chef my man...take advantage of it!

#sammichesfordays

Um, I'm the wife lol. I do all of the cooking and I also cook for him too. A lot of those foods aren't conducive to weight loss, either...

does this mean that you are eating separately from what you cook and prepare for your family?
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am a PT student SAHM who home schools as well. I study and work at night or nap time. And weekends. I LOVE the slow cooker but my kids usually dont. LOL.
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options

I was for the past 2 years while finishing my masters. I also complete my undergrad while in the military working full time. Does that count?

Yes, but what did you do to be successful with weight loss? As someone who's responsible for 100% of the cooking, I need more tools in my toolbox.

And before someone gets on me, I've been able to to lose 20+ lbs so far. The reason why I was able to do that is because I didn't have the same schedule load I have now.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

I was for the past 2 years while finishing my masters. I also complete my undergrad while in the military working full time. Does that count?

Yes, but what did you do to be successful with weight loss? As someone who's responsible for 100% of the cooking, I need more tools in my toolbox.

And before someone gets on me, I've been able to to lose 20+ lbs so far. The reason why I was able to do that is because I didn't have the same schedule load I have now.

can nobody else help with cooking? How much downtime does hubby have? And do you have kids? How old are they? Could they help out?
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options
    No kids (thank goodness for now) and my husband doesn't cook.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP, a food scale, zip lock bags (sandwhich, snack bags), some tupper ware and little bit of time. You can prep snacks by weighing them out a head of time, throw some fruit in your bag, and if you can take left overs with you do that.

You can put your family meals in the recipe builder, throw you a serving in a tupper ware container (heat and eat) and also slowe cooker and casseroles are king.