Any nontraditional students here?

Options
2»

Replies

• rabbitlvr_
    rabbitlvr_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    -Prep your breakfasts and lunches ahead of time.
    -slow cooker recipes
    -make up a bunch of freezer friendly food for when you're on the go

Good idea! Do you know of some tupperware brands that hold up well in the freezer? I recently threw out a lot of plastic lids that were flaking from freezer use (it was pyrex).
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I attend classes online for my bachelor's degree. I also homeschool our three children. That's pretty nontraditional, right?

I have a gym membership, and my kids get to play in the childcare there when my husband and I go. Typically, we got 4 days a week. One day at my husband's lunch time, one day in the afternoon, and the other two at night. When we have the night workouts, I usually make something to eat in the crockpot to save time.

Before we hit the gym, I used to go walking through the neighborhood after dinner. That gave him time by himself with the kids and me a small break from them.

I do all of the cooking in our house, and our family has accepted my healthier meals. I still make things they enjoy that I no longer eat, like pasta. Usually on those days, I sautee zucchini for myself and make noodles for them. Or, when they want pizza, I will have leftovers. It hasn't been a hard compromise.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    rabbitlvr_ wrote: »
    No kids (thank goodness for now) and my husband doesn't cook.

well there's no time like the present to learn how! lol, crack that whip
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »

I suggest he learn. You're supposed to be a team.

This. No girls get back in the kitchen!

Looks like it's you and your hand for life with that stank attitude.

Alright everyone, let's not bicker!

Thanks for the brand name-- are they available at a store like Container Store? Or should I buy them online?

I also like the ideas about ziplock bags, never considered that before. I just realized the gallon size ones would be great for storing prepared meals in the freezer, flat! The tupperware gets clunky in there with all the space it takes up.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Another trick I heard about is eat pretty much the same thing everyday.

This. Have a repertoire of 6 or so selections for each meal of the day, prep them for the week, then just eat that. If you were to ask most successful weight loss people they will say they mostly ate the same stuff all the time.

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Also when I dogsit and have to take my own food, I'll make a casserole or something to serve 6+ people and eat off of it for days. That should work for just 2 people too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I suggest he learn. You're supposed to be a team.

This. No girls get back in the kitchen!

Looks like it's you and your hand for life with that stank attitude.

Alright everyone, let's not bicker!

Thanks for the brand name-- are they available at a store like Container Store? Or should I buy them online?

I also like the ideas about ziplock bags, never considered that before. I just realized the gallon size ones would be great for storing prepared meals in the freezer, flat! The tupperware gets clunky in there with all the space it takes up.

Maybe an idea? You can buy Rubbermaid or Walmart's brand Mainstays food containers. These are plastic with lids and they freeze and microwaveable. You can get plenty of uses out the these.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am 48, a wife, mother and grandmother. I work full time, go to school full time (working on my MBA), find time to work out and run a household. I plan out my meals for the week on Friday evening and make a shopping list, then my husband and I go shopping together on Saturday. I cut the vegetables and trim meat on Sunday so that meals come together easier during the week. I prefer using zip lock bags in the fridge and Foodsaver bags for the freezer. They are flatter and take less space.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Another trick I heard about is eat pretty much the same thing everyday.

This. Have a repertoire of 6 or so selections for each meal of the day, prep them for the week, then just eat that. If you were to ask most successful weight loss people they will say they mostly ate the same stuff all the time.

Yep. Me too.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and might be starting some school stuff in the next few months.
  • rabbitlvr_
    Options
    Also when I dogsit and have to take my own food, I'll make a casserole or something to serve 6+ people and eat off of it for days. That should work for just 2 people too.

My husband doesn't like to eat the same thing more than once, so I need to cook more than one thing.