Canadaland

Options
Soulfood77
Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
This place seems to be lacking a Canadaland. Welcoming all Canadians and those who just wish they were Canadian. A place to talk about all things Canada and say sorry a whole lot.

I shall start us off - thoughts on Calgary bidding for another Olympics? Good /bad/other?

Replies

• Chandra126
    Chandra126 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi :) Like the Canadaland!

(sorry!)
    I didn't know that Calgary was bidding for another Olympics -news to me- but sure why not try. The city has already spent a lot of money on accommodating an Olympics event, and they have a gist of how to do it.

Conversely I think it is kinda boring to have an Olympics in a city that has kinda recently(ish) already had one. More interesting to the world to be somewhere different.
  • Soulfood77
    Options
    They just have an exploratory committee at the moment to decide whether to bid or not.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    1988 was a great Olympics. They have the infrastructure in place why not go for it.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Being a Left Leaning Independent, I wish that; I was Canadian!
    synchkat wrote: »
    1988 was a great Olympics. They have the infrastructure in place why not go for it.

This'd depend upon if, the facilities were kept in ideal conditions over; the time! Some other country's venues're dilapidated, after only; a few years!
  • synchkat
    Options
    Being a Left Leaning Independent, I wish that; I was Canadian!

This'd depend upon if, the facilities were kept in ideal conditions over; the time! Some other country's venues're dilapidated, after only; a few years!

This is Canada we don't build stuff then let it go. Well I guess Montreal did that with the Olympic Stadium haha. But Calgary has its Olympic Park where you can go and do bobsleigh and stuff and it's so close to Banff for the skiing. It has many rinks as it often plays host of figure skating events.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I've always thought Canada should be called Canadia because the people are called Canadians

People from Austria are Austrian
    People from Australia are Australian
    People from America are American

So by that token either the country should be called Canadia or the people should be called Canadans.

Just saying ...
  • synchkat
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I've always thought Canada should be called Canadia because the people are called Canadians

So by that token either the country should be called Canadia or the people should be called Canadans.

Just saying ...

But America isn't spelled Americia.
    And really Americans are from the United States of America. Canada is in America too since we both inhabit the continent of North America. So by those tokens Americans should be called United Statesians?
  • Soulfood77
    Options
    Yeah the facilities are in decent shape. Given the money drain the Olympics are, I am starting to be of the opinion that they should pick a few set host cities and just rotate.

Interesting theory @Morgaen73. I feel like you're 150 years too late to change our minds though. (Happy 150th Canada!)

Big news lately is our mini Donald Trump fonally throwing his hat in the ring. Arlene Dickinson wrote a fantastic opinion piece on CBC - I highly recommend giving it a read:

Arlene Dickinson: With Kevin O'Leary, what we've seen is what we'll get
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kevin-o-leary-conservative-run-arlene-dickinson-opinion-1.3942349
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Just saying ...

My wife is from Canada; I just call her, Canucklehead.
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Calgary should NOT host another winter Olympic. Realistically, no one should...the cost is too much for whatever benefit it may bring. Oddly enough, you still see the odd Sun Ice volunteer jacket from the 88 Olympics... people still have them and wear them...
  • Morgaen73
    Options

Just saying ...

And really Americans are from the United States of America. Canada is in America too since we both inhabit the continent of North America. So by those tokens Americans should be called United Statesians?

Good point. I will petition the UN for that name change.

I'm sorry I shouldn't have used the United-Statians as en example. Considering that

Their "world series" consist of only them.
    Their leader is apparently the "leader of the free world" when none of the the free world voted for him.
    The politician that the majority of citizens voted for actually lost the election.

So my apologies to the good people of Canadia.

• synchkat
    Options

Just saying ...

I'm sorry I shouldn't have used the United-Statians as en example. Considering that

Their leader is apparently the "leader of the free world" when none of the the free world voted for him.
    The politician that the majority of citizens voted for actually lost the election.

I seem to recall a certain Canadian team winning the world series.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Just saying ...

Yeah, but it was full of non-Canadians....kind of like a US team winning the Stanley Cup.
  • Morgaen73
    Options

Just saying ...

Apologies again. I'm not North-Americanian so I was not aware that the United-Statesians expanded the "world" by one entire country.
  • synchkat
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »

Just saying ...

Yeah, but it was full of non-Canadians....kind of like a US team winning the Stanley Cup.

Ya they were mostly from the Dominican Republic.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Funny-Canada-Meme-8.jpg

We are a gentle people. Until you really pi$$ us off. :p
  • synchkat
    Options
    GTAFrank wrote: »
    Funny-Canada-Meme-8.jpg

We are a gentle people. Until you really pi$$ us off. :p

like ask what State we're from