How much protien and fat for low carb diet please!

Options
I am back on MFP and I need to hear from the low carb experts. I feel my best when I am on a low carb plan but I worry that I may eat to much fat and protein. For example I had about 110 protien and 90 fat yesterday and 60 carb. I have been focusing on the carbs this week but I don't wan't to hurt or do any harm to my body from eating to much of the other. Could someone tell me how much I should have. I'm 168 pounds 5ft 6 " age 42. I would really appreciate it!

Replies

• freec78
    freec78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you targeting per day?
  • freec78
    freec78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ...and how many grams of Carbs do you target? We can back into your protein and fat goals from there.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    No idea. I just worry about calories. I would say choose a number for carbs and make sure you don't go over it, and fill the rest up with protein and fat. That is sort of the idea of low carb isn't it?
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    freec78 wrote: »
    ...and how many grams of Carbs do you target? We can back into your protein and fat goals from there.

Trying to stay below 80 grams of carbs
  • nicnoahshaun
    Options
    No idea. I just worry about calories. I would say choose a number for carbs and make sure you don't go over it, and fill the rest up with protein and fat. That is sort of the idea of low carb isn't it?

That is what I have been doing this past week. Trying to stay below 80 grams of carbs. I wasn't sure if there was a problem if I ate to much of the other
  • nicnoahshaun
    Options
    freec78 wrote: »
    How many calories are you targeting per day?

1400 to 1500 calories
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options

That is what I have been doing this past week. Trying to stay below 80 grams of carbs. I wasn't sure if there was a problem if I ate to much of the other

A problem is what way? In terms of fat loss all that matters is calories. As long as you don't go over them you will lose. In terms of other factors, I guess that depends on the person.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I went with ketogenic carb levels of about 5% (~20g). I am not a big protein or meat eater so my protein is set at 20% (~75g) and my fat is 75% (~120g). My calories were about 1500kcal. I am 5'8", 42, and lost 40lbs to get to 150 (in just over 4 months).

Do what works for you. Some do great with carbs around 100-150g, other like high protein and others prefer high fat. Do whatever suits you best and works with your health. :)
  • nicnoahshaun
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I went with ketogenic carb levels of about 5% (~20g). I am not a big protein or meat eater so my protein is set at 20% (~75g) and my fat is 75% (~120g). My calories were about 1500kcal. I am 5'8", 42, and lost 40lbs to get to 150 (in just over 4 months).

Do what works for you. Some do great with carbs around 100-150g, other like high protein and others prefer high fat. Do whatever suits you best and works with your health. :)

Thanks! Do you know of a website I could check out to calculate to see where I should be?
  • 2lhasas
    2lhasas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First question is why are you going low carb?

Ketogenic diet goal is to put your body into ketosis where you are burning ketones rather than glycogen for energy. To accomplish ketosis you need to eliminate nearly all carbs - no grains, very little fruit and a bit of low carb veg - mostly meat, cheese, eggs and healthy fats (coconut oil, avocado, butter, cream etc.) You can lose weight fast on keto and it may help if you have developed insulin sensitivity issues. There are lots of good sites for keto. This site maintained by podcasters - 2KetoDudes is good. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies/getting-started

The benefit I find with a low carb diet is reduction in hunger and cravings - and you don't have to be in keto for that. As I understand it, when you eat sugar or a processed carb, insulin levels in your blood stream quickly spike. When they come back down is when the cravings start. I focus on keeping carbs low and looking for carbs that do not spike blood sugar - this is called glycemic load. For example the GL of carrots is 2, while the GL of sweet potato is 20. Not all carbs are created equal. http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

Personally, I recommend the cold turkey approach. Sugar is just like any drug, and detoxing from sugar sucks, but if you can tough it out for a few days, you will find that your hunger diminishes significantly. Then you could add a little carb back in until you figure out where it starts to impact you (hunger and cravings return). https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    as long as you are in a calorie deficit it does not matter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    2lhasas wrote: »
    First question is why are you going low carb?

Ketogenic diet goal is to put your body into ketosis where you are burning ketones rather than glycogen for energy. To accomplish ketosis you need to eliminate nearly all carbs - no grains, very little fruit and a bit of low carb veg - mostly meat, cheese, eggs and healthy fats (coconut oil, avocado, butter, cream etc.) You can lose weight fast on keto and it may help if you have developed insulin sensitivity issues. There are lots of good sites for keto. This site maintained by podcasters - 2KetoDudes is good. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies/getting-started

The benefit I find with a low carb diet is reduction in hunger and cravings - and you don't have to be in keto for that. As I understand it, when you eat sugar or a processed carb, insulin levels in your blood stream quickly spike. When they come back down is when the cravings start. I focus on keeping carbs low and looking for carbs that do not spike blood sugar - this is called glycemic load. For example the GL of carrots is 2, while the GL of sweet potato is 20. Not all carbs are created equal. http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

Personally, I recommend the cold turkey approach. Sugar is just like any drug, and detoxing from sugar sucks, but if you can tough it out for a few days, you will find that your hunger diminishes significantly. Then you could add a little carb back in until you figure out where it starts to impact you (hunger and cravings return). https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb

do you also understand that protein causes a similar insulin spike?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Keep your carbs under 80 g - since that's your stated goal - and eat the remaining 1000+ Calories in whatever protein/fat ratio works for you.