Struggling meeting protein macros without going over fat macros

Options
Hi there

Not sure if a similar discussion exists already, so feel free to redirect me if needed...

I'm having trouble meeting my daily protein requirements without going over my daily fat limit.

I am at 1,390 calories a day. 131g/46g/104g (carbs/fat/protein). I'm 28 years old, female, 5'3 (160 cm) and 144 lbs (65 kg). I exercise 3x a week for 45 mins each, mainly cardio. I am an endomorph and my goal is fat loss. Last time I checked, my BF% was around 36%. My weight goal is 62 kg.

I already get most of my protein from cheese, yogurt, eggs, nuts, and smaller servings of lean meat. However, I find that I meet roughly 80% of my protein goal before I max out on fat. In other words, whenever I try to eat more foods with protein, it takes me over my fat limit.

I know foods like lean meats are a great source of protein without much fat, but meat is so expensive where I live that I can't afford to eat enough of it to get to my goal. Same with protein powder. I know egg whites are also good, but I get sick of eating eggs every day. I've thought of adding more plant-based proteins, but that just adds more carbs.

What recommendations do you have for foods that are high-protein and low-fat? I would be also keen to know how vegetarians get their protein without going over their carb limits.

Also, considering how I have a high BF% and am trying to lose fat, should I be upping my protein limit even more?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Also I know you said protein powder is not cost effective for you but please check out myprotein. I paid $60 for 10 pounds and that is 200 servings or 30 cents a serving. You can't get 25g of protein that cheap per serving with food.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?

I am starting a weights programme this weekend. I know protein intake would be important for this, so I'm concerned about ensuring that I'm getting enough.
    Also I know you said protein powder is not cost effective for you but please check out myprotein. I paid $60 for 10 pounds and that is 200 servings or 30 cents a serving. You can't get 25g of protein that cheap per serving with food.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I can get it in New Zealand (or they can at least ship to New Zealand!)
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein powder to supplement, and I also recommend MyProtein.com. I hope they will ship to you. It's high quality protein with almost no fat or carbs, and the flavors I have tried have been very good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    you can get cheap protein powder, and if you don't want to drink shakes, you can easily add it to food.

if you don't want to eat more meat or eggs, try adding low fat dairy (yoghurt, cottage cheese), or quinoa, beans/legumes
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Egg whites can be mixed in shakes and are tasteless. No fat. Boatloads of protein.

You've kinda nailed why you're hitting fats... with nuts and cheese, you're equal or more fat than protein and that's gonna catch up every time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?

I am starting a weights programme this weekend. I know protein intake would be important for this, so I'm concerned about ensuring that I'm getting enough.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I can get it in New Zealand (or they can at least ship to New Zealand!)

Yes Myprotein does ship, I'm in Australia so you should have no problem getting it to NZ. A 5kg (11lb) of their whey isolate costs $AU141 or $113 with their 20% discount which they are always running. I highly recommend Myprotein, both for quality and taste :+1:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Calories is what controls your weight. You can lower your protein goal and up your fat goal if that is easier for you. (Fattier cuts of meat is cheaper and more tasty.) Try setting your goals to 70-90 grams - equal amounts of fat and protein - you want a diet that is balanced and tasty for you.
  • GeorgiePie88
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Tuna chicken fat free greek yogurt whey casein powders all these have minimal fat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi there

Not sure if a similar discussion exists already, so feel free to redirect me if needed...

I'm having trouble meeting my daily protein requirements without going over my daily fat limit.

I am at 1,390 calories a day. 131g/46g/104g (carbs/fat/protein). I'm 28 years old, female, 5'3 (160 cm) and 144 lbs (65 kg). I exercise 3x a week for 45 mins each, mainly cardio. I am an endomorph and my goal is fat loss. Last time I checked, my BF% was around 36%. My weight goal is 62 kg.

I already get most of my protein from cheese, yogurt, eggs, nuts, and smaller servings of lean meat. However, I find that I meet roughly 80% of my protein goal before I max out on fat. In other words, whenever I try to eat more foods with protein, it takes me over my fat limit.

I know foods like lean meats are a great source of protein without much fat, but meat is so expensive where I live that I can't afford to eat enough of it to get to my goal. Same with protein powder. I know egg whites are also good, but I get sick of eating eggs every day. I've thought of adding more plant-based proteins, but that just adds more carbs.

What recommendations do you have for foods that are high-protein and low-fat? I would be also keen to know how vegetarians get their protein without going over their carb limits.

Also, considering how I have a high BF% and am trying to lose fat, should I be upping my protein limit even more?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

off topic a little as for being an endomorph which is a somatype, those have been debunked. somatypes were used to gauge what they thought a persons personality was like based on their body type and somewhere along the lines someone skewed it and attached it to weight loss/gain. it has nothing to do with weight loss or gain. to lose fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. upping protein really wont make a difference,nor will lowering fat you eat. all that matters is calories for weight loss, if you go over fat and are still at or a little below your calories then you will be fine. your protein intake is also fine,you can also find protein sources with lower fat content as well.(low fat yogurt,2%/1% or skim milk,low fat cheese.etc) if you want to go those routes.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    HelloFIT09 wrote: »
    Im a vegetarian and still meet my protein at a 1200 calorie restriction. And I have 1 word- peanut butter. You can eat it out the jar, on bread, in food, as a dip. It could sound nasty but its pretty good on noodles. Also fills you up. I heard its good with celery, have not tried yet. Also good luck. I am 174 at 5 '3

But the fat to protein ratio in peanut butter is not going to help with OP's perceived problem.

OP, there's no reason you have to stick to 46 g fat. You can adjust your macros to allow more fat, as others have said -- although if you're a "volume" eater who needs high volumes of food to feel satiated, that may not be the solution for you. It that's the case, switch to leaner protein (chicken, fish, egg whites, non-fat or lowfat dairy -- milk, yogurt, cottage cheese).

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you buy chicken if whole or already cut up into breasts etc I don't know about nz, in the UK it cheaper to buy the whole chicken then cut it up for separate meals if you want to
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've stopped worrying about it but would give another vote for MyProtein as a low fat way of getting protein. I'm in the UK so shipping costs are cheap. How about low fat cottage cheese,skimmed milk,quinoa,egg whites?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here. I get over 100g every day with no issue. Cottage cheese every day, and yes... eggs. But I love them.

As someone said upthread, egg whites, especially if you can get them in the carton or powdered, are tasteless and mix well into protein shakes. I also have protein fluff every night for dessert (with chocolate syrup!) I often go way over my protein goal.

Some days I do have beans, oats (they have a bit of protein), lentils, or vegetarian beef substitute.

Greek yogurt is also a convenient way to get protein, but I stopped finding that filling, so haven't been eating it lately.
  • GeorgiePie88
    Options
    Vegetarian here. I get over 100g every day with no issue. Cottage cheese every day, and yes... eggs. But I love them.

As someone said upthread, egg whites, especially if you can get them in the carton or powdered, are tasteless and mix well into protein shakes. I also have protein fluff every night for dessert (with chocolate syrup!) I often go way over my protein goal.

Some days I do have beans, oats (they have a bit of protein), lentils, or vegetarian beef substitute.

Greek yogurt is also a convenient way to get protein, but I stopped finding that filling, so haven't been eating it lately.

Thanks for the advice. Protein fluff? What's that?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. Protein fluff? What's that?

It's basically taking protein powder, frozen fruit and a little xanthan gum and whipping it into a marshmallowy cloud.

bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html