One leg deadlifts

Options
Hi there
When doing a one leg deadlift, in which hand do you hold the weight? Same side as the supporting leg ( so if you are balancing on your right leg, hold the weight in your right hand) or is it opposite? And why?

Also does it matter if I hold a kettlebell or a dumbell?

In case anyone is going to say " why not do regular deadlifts?" well the gym I use is my work one, it is very small and so I do not always have access to the bar to do deadlifts. Plus I like to mix things up a bit.

thanks !!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hold it with both hands, keeps it closer to deadlift motion which is in front of the shin. I find kettlebells to be easier to use than dumbbells, but I use whatever is available.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I hold it opposite hand. Helps with balance at least for me.

As well, I do a staggered stance rather than true single leg - you still get all the loading into one hamstring but without balance issues.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I go opposite for balance. Kettle or dumbbell, it doesn't matter. It's all personal preference. Beyond that, its really form and focus that's king.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I hold it with both hands, keeps it closer to deadlift motion which is in front of the shin. I find kettlebells to be easier to use than dumbbells, but I use whatever is available.

This.