Anyone else quitting sugar?

Options

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in everything. Good luck ;)

It's like going into the desert and telling your camel you are on a water diet.

HA!

• jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I cut out super in October and have lost 21 Lbs - and the best part was that it was not all that hard to do so. Yes on T-giving and Xmas I did have some with desert - but still day and in and day out I cut the really high sugar foods. Love the negative comments for the know it alls. Somehow if you cut out sugar many on here take that as an indication you are this weak person who is too dumb to eat in moderation. When in fact - you are cutting out something that you dont really need and in most cases does not make you healthier. Good luck to you OP.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    I cut out super in October and have lost 21 Lbs - and the best part was that it was not all that hard to do so. Yes on T-giving and Xmas I did have some with desert - but still day and in and day out I cut the really high sugar foods. Love the negative comments for the know it alls. Somehow if you cut out sugar many on here take that as an indication you are this weak person who is too dumb to eat in moderation. When in fact - you are cutting out something that you dont really need and in most cases does not make you healthier. Good luck to you OP.

I'm pretty sure most people if they try some sort of elimination diet and it didn't work for them, they convince others that it likely won't work for that person either. Like another person's success at something you attempted to do but failed at hurts your ego.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »

I'm pretty sure most people if they try some sort of elimination diet and it didn't work for them, they convince others that it likely won't work for that person either. Like another person's success at something you attempted to do but failed at hurts your ego.
    I would never be stupid enough to cut out sugar, so nope not the case here.

The negative comments are just trying to tell people they don't need to do it to lose weight. If you want to do it, go for it. But it doesn't HAVE to be done.

I feel like ELI5 is needed in this thread today.
  • bowlerae
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

The negative comments are just trying to tell people they don't need to do it to lose weight. If you want to do it, go for it. But it doesn't HAVE to be done.

No one says it has to be done. Some of us simply said it could be done. Many people said they have done it and saw great success in terms of weight loss and overall health. I respect your opinion that it does not have to be done, I agree with that. My issue is that many people are saying that it can't be done for long and that is 1.) inaccurate, it all depends on the person and 2.) very discouraging.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Ive been on a keto diet for a week and half now. Soooo nooooo sugar and I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world. I have been dreaming about candy

I make my own "candy" and other treats I just use Stevia or Erythritol. You don't have to feel like you're missing out.

That sounds like a gateway to the real thing. Its all innocent at first, but bam!!!!! your hooked again and on the junk.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

No one says it has to be done. Some of us simply said it could be done. Many people said they have done it and saw great success in terms of weight loss and overall health. I respect your opinion that it does not have to be done, I agree with that. My issue is that many people are saying that it can't be done for long and that is 1.) inaccurate, it all depends on the person and 2.) very discouraging.

I don't really think that anyone said that. The statistics for keeping the weight off, no matter how you achieve the weight loss, or what you do, or don't give up, are very discouraging. Over 80% fail. So, why not find what works for you and if you can sustain that, you may be in the small percent that keep the weight off. If you can sustain not eating anything with added sugar, go for it. The point is you DO NOT NEED TO GIVE UP ANYTHING, if you can moderate things you really like. Sugar isn't a demon, any more than overeating any food, that you will end up eating more calories than you burn. For many, not all, people moderation in all foods could be the way to successfully keeping the weight off.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    Ive been on a keto diet for a week and half now. Soooo nooooo sugar and I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world. I have been dreaming about candy

I make my own "candy" and other treats I just use Stevia or Erythritol. You don't have to feel like you're missing out.

That sounds like a gateway to the real thing. Its all innocent at first, but bam!!!!! your hooked again and on the junk.

lol, for some maybe. Some people really can't moderate, eliminate, or substitute so you have to do what's best for you.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options

lol, for some maybe. Some people really can't moderate, eliminate, or substitute so you have to do what's best for you.

I have too much of an addictive personality. Its best I stay completely away. I don't plan on doing this my entire life, just want to give it a go and lose some fat over the next couple months.
  • jkwolly
    Options

I don't really think that anyone said that. The statistics for keeping the weight off, no matter how you achieve the weight loss, or what you do, or don't give up, are very discouraging. Over 80% fail. So, why not find what works for you and if you can sustain that, you may be in the small percent that keep the weight off. If you can sustain not eating anything with added sugar, go for it. The point is you DO NOT NEED TO GIVE UP ANYTHING, if you can moderate things you really like. Sugar isn't a demon, any more than overeating any food, that you will end up eating more calories than you burn. For many, not all, people moderation in all foods could be the way to successfully keeping the weight off.

Exactly this. Not one person said it can't be done, just WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

To preface, I don't eat much in the way of added sugars...but I do eat sugars in that I eat a good 2 servings of fruit daily along with about 4 servings of veg. I've never done an elimination diet...so no ego hit there.

Personally, outside of medical necessity, I don't think elimination diets are the best. IMO, the best way to get all of your vitamins and minerals and other nutritional requirements is to eat a variety of whole foods, and restrictive diets by nature interfere with that.

No doubt and elimination diet can help one lose weight...kind of a no brainer when you consider the laundry list of things you can't have on most of these...but among the laundry list of "bad" foods are usually very nutritionally awesome whole foods that have well established long term health benefits.

I'm not talking about cutting back on added sugars here...but you brought up keto which goes well beyond cutting back or substantially reducing added sugars.

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I have too much of an addictive personality. Its best I stay completely away. I don't plan on doing this my entire life, just want to give it a go and lose some fat over the next couple months.

This is me right here. I did keto for a while and loved it, then reintroduced more carbs and am pretty happy with everything.

BUT! I do have a Snickers bar/Lindt or some other chocolate/candy here and there, but I pretty much have to build up to it. If I'm in the right mood and have a box of chocolate in front of me, it's going down. Period lol.

OP - I wish you the best however you decide to work this out for yourself. Enjoy :)
  • bowlerae
    edited January 2017
    Options

Exactly this. Not one person said it can't be done, just WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

The why is that OP had better results with weight loss while giving up sugar previously. The inciting statement for the long discussion was this "Our bodies and brains need sugar and it is impossible to give up sugar. A great way to lose weight is by eating less calories than you burn". This statement is misleading. Firstly, the OP is clearly talking about added sugar. Again as I mentioned in a previous post I'm not sure the extent of added sugar she is talking about but it doesn't seem like she's talking about excluding fruits and veggies but she is most certainly talking about excluding sodas, cakes, donuts, etc. So in context to the OP's post (who is talking about added sugar) and then you have someone saying you need sugar, that is misleading. You don't NEED dietary sugar, your body will create the glucose you need. Whether you give up sugar temporarily or long-term is your preference and we all agree that each person needs to do something that works for them. No one argued that it has to be done. No one said that it can't be done. But many of you are basically saying there is no compelling reason ("WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?"). May not be compelling for you but if OP and others are saying they are having better weight loss results then it seems sure enough compelling for them. Secondly, my issue with that statement is that restricting calories to lose weight is not the best advice when looking at the bigger picture of overall health and nutrition.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Since the OP only mentioned add sugar...

OP...I eat fairly low sugar naturally at least most of the time so I pay little attention to sugar. However...

When I first started trying to lose weight the add sugar calories were the first thing that I cut. It was the easiest way to help create part of my deficit. It was an obvious choice for me...there were actual foods that I could identify such as cake, doughnuts, candy, etc etc.

When I got the rest of my calories under control then when I wanted something sweet it was easy to add it back in.

I also learned to make some deserts without adding additional sugar. Now that I have been at this for a while on occasion I make cookies, muffins and other things by using stevia. I can't really tell the difference in the taste and it cuts the calories quite a bit.

I would say that 90% of my sugar totals come from naturally occurring sugars and I don't worry about those.

Good luck and I hope that you find a way that works for you.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

To preface, I don't eat much in the way of added sugars...but I do eat sugars in that I eat a good 2 servings of fruit daily along with about 4 servings of veg. I've never done an elimination diet...so no ego hit there.

Personally, outside of medical necessity, I don't think elimination diets are the best. IMO, the best way to get all of your vitamins and minerals and other nutritional requirements is to eat a variety of whole foods, and restrictive diets by nature interfere with that.

No doubt and elimination diet can help one lose weight...kind of a no brainer when you consider the laundry list of things you can't have on most of these...but among the laundry list of "bad" foods are usually very nutritionally awesome whole foods that have well established long term health benefits.

I'm not talking about cutting back on added sugars here...but you brought up keto which goes well beyond cutting back or substantially reducing added sugars.

I mentioned keto because someone mentioned the amount of sugar in fruit and that is why a lot of fruit is restricted on keto diets. Also someone mentioned absolutely 1000% needing sugar. Whether or not someone is getting enough nutrient diversity is a different topic. I never prescribed keto to OP. I do not believe she is talking about restricting fruits and veggies hence my support in cutting out the extra sugar outside those sources. Everyone else is basically saying "sugar in moderation, IIFYM, yolo!"
  • rosalind78
    rosalind78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mgmalek wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Ive eaten no added sugar for three days now; no ice cream, chocolate, lollies, sugary drinks etc. I know this is a great way to lose weight because I've done it before. Is anyone else quitting sugar or wanting to do so? It would be great to keep each other motivated :)

Yes I quit sugar on 1/8. I have been drinking low-fat chocolate milk on occasion. Its actually high in protein n calcium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I mentioned keto because someone mentioned the amount of sugar in fruit and that is why a lot of fruit is restricted on keto diets. Also someone mentioned absolutely 1000% needing sugar. Whether or not someone is getting enough nutrient diversity is a different topic. I never prescribed keto to OP. I do not believe she is talking about restricting fruits and veggies hence my support in cutting out the extra sugar outside those sources. Everyone else is basically saying "sugar in moderation, IIFYM, yolo!"

I suppose it would depend on what moderation means to someone...in my long experience here, most of these people eat pretty solid diets. I eat something for desert once or twice per week, which I consider to be moderation...I would hate eliminating that and don't need to...I think that's all people are saying.

There's fairly substantial middle ground between all the sugarz and I'm never eating anything with sugar again. I enjoy taking my boys out for ice cream here and there...I enjoy some desert once or twice per week...my oldest and I traditionally share a craft sarsaparilla in the fall when we visit McCall's farm to get our pumpkins. IDK...I like living in the middle rather than on the extremes.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My sugar addiction is real. I've gone cold turkey before and it was extremely difficult, but it definitely works. How's your fast going?
  • Jakep2323
    Jakep2323 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your teeth will be better too OP.. I'm with you :)
  • stainbackzoo
    stainbackzoo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm quitting- at least for 10 weeks. (Part of a study) and i would love support!

Please add me as a friend!!

April