Hello, my routine is:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Back, Biceps, Abs
Wednes - Chest, Triceps
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Legs
Saturday - Shoulders & Arms
Sunday - Basketball

Will I lose gains because I play basketball once a week? And if I do, what should I do? Should I take whey after playing or something?

Need help, thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    ArisPetite wrote: »
    Hello, my routine is:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Back, Biceps, Abs
    Wednes - Chest, Triceps
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Shoulders & Arms
    Sunday - Basketball

Will I lose gains because I play basketball once a week? And if I do, what should I do? Should I take whey after playing or something?

Need help, thanks!
    I would be more concerned that you are following a bro-split and not going to maximize gains. You are young, and would highly benefit from training body parts at least 2x a week, if not 3x.
  • ArisPetite
    ArisPetite Posts: 8 Member
    Okay I'll look that up, but I'm also wondering if playing ball once a week is okay.
  • ArisPetite
    edited January 2017
    Also my split last week was:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Back Biceps
    Wednesday - Chest Shoulders Triceps
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Back Biceps
    Sunday - Chest Shoulders Triceps

And a trainer at the gym told me that it's too much, and its better to train parts once a week instead, I'm confused...

Btw I hope the basketball thing gets answered :(
  • psuLemon
    Also my split last week was:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Back Biceps
    Wednesday - Chest Shoulders Triceps
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Back Biceps
    Sunday - Chest Shoulders Triceps

And a trainer at the gym told me that it's too much, and its better to train parts once a week instead, I'm confused...

Basketball is fine. Training body parts once a week is fine but it's highly inefficient for a noob to lifting. Focusing on the core lifts or the big 4 (DL, Bench, OHP, Squat) will engage more muscle fibers in the least amount of time. If you look at some of the most successful lifters (natty, not steroided up), they would suggest at least hitting the core lifts 2 or 3 days a week and their plans reflect that. Where it's ok to only hit a body part once a week, is when you are on steroids and you extend the window for muscle protein synthesis (which occurs over a 36-48 hour window).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ArisPetite
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for answering, do you know where I could see a good workout split for me?
  • psuLemon
    Thank you for answering, do you know where I could see the workout program you are talking about? Sorry I'm kinda new.

Look at the link I posted. There are plenty of great programs to start with. Starting strength and StrongLift are some of the topic picks.
  • ArisPetite
    Sir, what if I use my four day split, but add like, a big back excercise on my leg day, and add bench press on my shoulders day? Would that work?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Sir, what if I use my four day split, but add like, a big back excercise on my leg day, and add bench press on my shoulders day? Would that work?

what part of structured program don't you understand?
  • psuLemon

Then follow one of the splits in the link i provided. You do not have the knowledge base current to design a program in a manor that will maximize results. Its not something to be ashamed of. I have been doing it for a good amount of time and still would follow a proven program over my ego program.