In need of rest or becoming lazy?

Options
Hi,

I've posted before talking about resting/listening to your body and took a relative rest day. But recently I have been feeling sluggish for several days, I've dropped some exercises and feel my walk and jog times are just getting worse. I wake up with no energy and my legs feel like tree trunks. My diet has not changed, get more than enough protein too. Have I over exercised in the past? (No rest days, just got more intense for 5 months) or am I just making excuses? I genuinely can't tell and am worried its just me getting lazy and a habit I get stuck in.

When I try and power through a jog etc. I feel like absolute death and not enjoying waking up with 0 energy whatsoever now

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If it's recent and not normal for you,I'd see your doctor and get it checked- there could be a number of medical reasons.
    If all is OK,it could be you need more food,more carbs or protein and more rest?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Have I over exercised in the past? (No rest days, just got more intense for 5 months)"

You haven't taken a rest day in 5 months? or am I reading this wrong? This might be your problem, exercising for 5 months, increasing intensity, without resting at all.
  • realmelere
    realmelere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the doc! This is anecdotal of course, but I recently started feeling the same--just absolutely no energy whatsoever, which is really unusual for me. They're thinking it's anemia, but it can be a whole host of things. I wouldn't get too worried, though, it's probably nothing too serious. Eating a bit more, resting, and taking more fluids helped me somewhat.
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It could be due to where you live? I live in a location that gets a fair amount of snow in the winter and is generally pretty cold. The cold and snow, mixed with it being darker for longer periods of time really makes me feel like hibernating, and most days I can barely drag myself out of bed to get to work, much less to go work out.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Burnt out. Take a couple of weeks off eat at maintenance or just above have a weekend away or do something with the family. A totally refresh. Then when go back step things back quiet a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its not so much over training, as under fueling...
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Instead of taking rest days, why not take recovery days instead?

For example, here is one of my intense workout days followed by one of my recovery workout days...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1527174338

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1519340608

The recovery days are designed to aid in recovery, and at the same time still get some exercise and burn some calories. It's a win/win.

If every day is an intense day, you could be slowing progress, and putting your body into a state of over training.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I've noticed I feel a bit better during a walk but horrible at the start and not enough energy to even jog I feel. I will try to take a couple days off and see how that goes but because I haven't had a day off really (i.e. a day where I sit at home with my feet up all day watching TV) I will find it very very difficult mentally to do because I think I can't eat much etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I've noticed I feel a bit better during a walk but horrible at the start and not enough energy to even jog I feel. I will try to take a couple days off and see how that goes but because I haven't had a day off really (i.e. a day where I sit at home with my feet up all day watching TV) I will find it very very difficult mentally to do because I think I can't eat much etc.

Eat at maintenance for a couple of days, you'll be amazed how much better you feel. How large a deficit are you currently running?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way lately. Been working out consistently for 7 months but have been feeling fatiqued recently despite taking numerous rest days and cutting back on the days/amount of lifting.

Just did a successful 1RM test for a 250 SQT today after a progressive 4 week 10x3 lifting cycle. So, I think it's time for a rest and I'm going to take a week off b4 starting a new SQT cycle.