Inches instead of Pounds

Options
I've been a bit discouraged since I haven't lost any more weight in the past few weeks. I've been working out, watching my calories, reducing my portions, and drinking my water. So, I asked my friends this morning for some advice and one said that I should measure myself instead of weighing myself today. I hadn't measured myself in about 3 weeks, so I did this morning. I'd lost an additional inch, for a total of 3 inches off of my waist in the past 5 weeks! It's good to see improvement along my waistline and hopefully the pounds will start to melt off soon, too.

Have any of you gone through this? And if so, how did you stay motivated?

Replies

• SheWei
    SheWei Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting the same problem. The scale numbers won't budge, but I can feel a difference in my clothes. I've heard Dr. Oz mention to always measure yourself instead of weighing yourself. GOOD LUCK!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I ended up picking a set date to take all my measurements because sometimes I notice zero movement in the scale. That way I always had something to look forward to, even if it was a fairly tiny measurement change. I stayed motivated by telling myself that a loss is a loss, whether it be in actual pounds or in inches, but I definitely look more forward to losing the inches than the pounds.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes I have went through this. I didnt lose weight for two weeks one time, but after taking pictures, I could see that I had a waistline, which I did not have before! So the scale is just a guide. The proof is in inches and the way my clothes fit...which is also MUCH looser!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just keep sticking with it. I keep track of inches monthly and weight weekly. I also look at myself in the mirror and look for definition in parts of my body. If I get stuck all around, I change things up a bit, find something new to do. Right now I've added in some weights to my exercies and plan ot wear my weighted gloves to do Zumba. GIving that a try tonight with Wii Zumba. Also, if I've been really good I'll have a calorie bashing day where I exercise but allow myself to go over in calories with teh amjority being healthy cals.
  • NicholeTrussell
    NicholeTrussell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have had the same trouble...and being large I have also dealt with swelling issues because my muscles and joints are protesting...I am noticing it in size and not weight...I have pretty much retired the scale for now...as long as I keep doing what I need to do...I know it will be good!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did that and someone told me I was probably losing visceral fat around my organs.....kinda made sense?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes! Sometimes it's hard to figure out the best ratio of cardo:strength training and our bodies aren't letting loose of fat as quickly as we're building muscle so it looks like we're not losing weight. So, instead, we measure! This lets us know that we're losing fat & building muscle because we know that muscle takes up less space which in turn makes us SMALLER! You may try adding a little more cardio and you should see a difference on the scale - or you may not be eating enough calories... you said you're cutting portions. That's fine when you first start but you may just need to make sure your NET (it's on your homepage) everyday is no less than 1200.
  • soycele
    soycele Posts: 5
    Options
    you are probably gaining muscle and loosing fat! I have been getting thinner and putting ON weight for that same reason.. the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn at rest and during work outs. so thats all good :)
  • Kmchandl
    Kmchandl Posts: 19
    Options
    My boss is a reg. Dietitian and she said that you are going to notice inches lost before the pounds on the scale. It took me a good month before my body started to shed the pounds. I would measure for sure!!!

Dont get too discouraged, it will start coming off soon!!!

Good Luck!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've been there, too -- my biggest mistake was not measuring myself when I started so I could see my progress. Now I just try to remember that my clothes are loose, that I'm fitting into pants I haven't had on for years and years, and that I'm not so darned tired all the time anymore. :}

Keep it up, and keep those measurements so in a few months you can see how far you've come!!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Good job hun! And what a coincidence. This morning was my bi-weekly weigh in and I did not lose weight; instead, I lost a half inch around my waist and an inch around my hips. So yeah, I'd say it's a victory. My motivation is because my goal isn't a certain weight, but a certain dress size, so the inches lost makes me closer to that goal.

You did awesome. Keep it up!