Options
13»

Replies

• Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kitten8u wrote: »
    i think getting fit will help a lot. il take your advice of the short and quick exercises when i can, barring in mind even for a quick work out, you still need the right clothes (sports bra, leggings, involves changing) and a shower after if you sweat.. and you should if your work out was good!! lol. so that all adds to the time. I completely agree that you have to make the time and i will try my best. thank you all.

Nah, I work out in my underwear. I'm at home so no one's going to see me.
    You can also try working out in very small bursts, like every time you go to the bathroom do two squats, or put a pull-up bar in a commonly used hallway and every time you go under the bar you have to do a chin-up.
  • SnatchPosse
    SnatchPosse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have severe depression and I for now, do have time to exercise but sometimes have a hard time breaking through the mental negativity. As others have noted, exercise can do wonders for depression and in my experience, a short intense workout can give great results. That said, please don't feel like you should be able to beat your depression through willpower or exercise. Be open to medication. It can change your life. When I have been in situations where time and facilities were limited, I've found some simple things that help. Heavy weight training, that also doesn't have to take long, has given me the best endorphin rushes, and that includes when I used to run long distance (like 10K and up) on a regular basis. If you need to start slow, start heavy, step down a few pounds, and then again, until you're struggling just to curl that five pounds. You'll feel that in the morning! Get yourself a jump rope, two heavy dumbells or a kettle bell, and just knock out some squats, burpees and jumping rope when you have a few minutes, right before a shower or whatever. Even if you don't have the weights, try burpees, push ups (make'em handstand pushups if regular ones are easy), sit ups and squats/squat jumps/one legged squats, keeping up a fast pace will wear you out quickly. If you can, download a tabata app for your phone or ipad. That can help you keep movin through the exercises for 8-10 minutes which can give you a tough workout in minimal time which will make you feel good. Adjust as needed to you don't get discouraged early on but push yourself as much as you can because endorphins are a hell of a drug :)
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Since being on MFP i have stopped my anxiety and depression meds. I also no longer need therapy for my PTSD Exercise has made a huge impact on my moods and even with work and study I work out. Some days I wake up at 4am(in summer) just to get my work out in. If i don't work out i get emotional and it ruins my day.

If you want to work out then you need to find a way to fit it in your day. If it's 100%impossible it's not the end of the world if your goal is to lose weigĥt. Just reduce your calories. When your life calms down, add in a work out or two. If you sit at a desk, get a gymball or cycling pedals. If you watch tv or a movie, cycle. There are also 3_5min work out videos on youtube you can do throughout the day.
  • freedom2016mfp
    freedom2016mfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I just want to let you know that your not alone when it comes to struggling with mental illness and weight loss. I'm diagnosed with GAD and getting past that and finding 5 mins to exercise some days is impossible. Yes there is 24hrs in a day to exercise but having an illness is at times debilitating and even the smallest of tasks is tough. If I could share one more thing it's take care of your mental health first and the rest will follow.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish. Sending along strength and hugs.
    Good luck with your progress.
  • freedom2016mfp
    freedom2016mfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OMG! If you just sent a friend request, I tried to hit accept and POOF decline...my apologies. Let's try again
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are exercising. Unless you are literally sitting on your butt most of every day (I can't imagine getting painting done like that), you are more active than a lot of people. Maybe it isn't more physical activity that is necessary, maybe it is more sleep!

As a personal note, I find medication for depression (and anxiety) very helpful. I'm more mindful about the things that contributed to my poor mental health and feel like they put me in a better position to think rationally about the stresses in my life. I can't say my depression is "gone" but I tune in to negative moods more quickly and am able to work my way out of them before I hit bottom and start imagining myself doing something drastic. It probably is a crutch but I'm the first in the family whose depression has not landed them either in a psychiatric hospital or a grave.
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Others have mentioned that exercise helps with depression. I'd like to reiterate that. Also, I have read that exercise can be as helpful as medication in helping depression.

Commit to walking just 10 minutes. You can walk longer if you are enjoying yourself, but the knowledge that it is only a ten minute commitment might remove the barrier to getting started.
  • TwntyOnePointTwo
    TwntyOnePointTwo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have started with a little exercise each day to help get unstuck because exercise has boosted my spirits and given me more sustaining energy throughout the day. I also have sleep better and better sleep equals better mood. Even just a little exercise makes a world of difference! I walk on lunch break.

My suggestion is to try to sneak some exercise in your day while you're out...quick walk around the block for fresh air, off the bus sooner than your regular stop, stairs over elevator, get a pet to play with if you can (unconditional love, and exercise through playtime), walk instead of taking the car, consider watching some you tube videos of others in the same boat I.e google image "depressed but can still exercise" for one one one stories of their journey to feel less alone in this and maybe get inspired by their success?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not having time for something really just means it's not a priority for you. That's ok, it's not a moral judgement or anything, we just tend to make time for the things that really matter to us. The good news is, you don't technically need to exercise to lose weight, you just need to eat fewer calories than you burn.
    I'm sorry you're dealing with depression, I know that's tough!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Be creative!

You can do 10 squats in the bathroom every time you go to the toilet.

Lunges every time you go up the hallway.

Intervals of high intensity work on the house followed by normal work periods.

In your study break 20 push-ups or dips (will help you focus too).

I have bipolar disorder type 1, work, have a family and am studying towards my masters.

There have been times when I have been unable to exercise and my mental health has suffered.
    I take medication (which is a necessity for some and not a crutch) but the exercise definitely helps takes the edge of my depressive symptoms.

From personal experience I would encourage you to try and fit in some exercise but also encourage you to seek professional help if you are suffering depression or low mood.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I want to add to my post, if your depression is entirely situational, as hard as it is, maybe you need to 'get to the root of the problem', as you say and make some changes.
  • kitten8u
    kitten8u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just having the support of so many people makes me feel so much better and is incredibly encouraging! Thank you all.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude! Start slow and start small. Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk workouts take only 15 minutes, are low-moderate intensity and can help you break a small sweat. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't get a lunch break at work as I'm with the tenants 24'7, thank you all for your advice on the depression but id rather get to the root of the problems,than just cover it with pills. i think getting fit will help a lot. il take your advice of the short and quick exercises when i can, barring in mind even for a quick work out, you still need the right clothes (sports bra, leggings, involves changing) and a shower after if you sweat.. and you should if your work out was good!! lol. so that all adds to the time. I completely agree that you have to make the time and i will try my best. thank you all.

Getting fit won't necessarily help - it's the pitfall for a lot of people... thinking that losing the weight will change everything... but it really doesn't.

However, being more active can help. Honestly, you don't even have to exercise - just walk whenever you can. And you don't need to take a shower after then (or just plan your daily shower after your workout).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Don't underestimate how much physical activity you are already doing. Both care work and house renovation are quite strenuous. It's not all about sweat.

If you want to add a bit more, why not extend your walk home? Add a loop to get it up to 40min or an hour. Also gives you a chance to unwind after your shift before falling into bed, and possibly improve your sleep too. And doing it after work means you don't have to worry about stinking up your work clothes, which are probably headed for the wash anyway after a 24 hour shift.

I agree with whoever said to consider sleeping in separate rooms from your boyfriend, if your shift patterns are not compatible and you're a light sleeper, it might be the only solution. Sleep is crucial.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was very sad and fat when I started. I refused to exercise because exercise is dumb. I got my food scale and only ate my allowed calories plus having to walk the dog. Then, the weight started coming off. I felt a little less sad and felt like moving a little more. I took the dog on longer walks and kept at my calories. I felt even less sad, so sometimes I went on walks even without the dog. I kept on doing this until one day when I was walking, I felt the urge to run. Not much or fast, but I run (I tried running with the dog, but she's a greyhound and can kick my *kitten* at running). I keep with my calorie goal (which is what I knew even with the lazies and sads I could do). As I started achieving small milestones like tight pants becoming loose or not feeling like death warmed over, my pile of what I CAN do and WANT to do got bigger and the pile of shitstorm that was my sucky fat sad life got smaller.

I still feel the sads sometimes. I don't always want or like to run. I am happy with the results I am seeing and post regularly in the NSV thread in the Success forum because every little win does count and keeps me on the wagon.

I have a long way to go. My second leg of the race will probably harder and longer than the first, but I'm in it to win it.

Edited to add: Yes to the bra. Get good bras. The high impact one from Lane Bryant (if you're a biggerly gal like myself) is amazing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one depressed with no time to exercise, but has anyone over come this, if so please share your wisdom!! Thank you.

When I've been depressed, I felt like I didn't have time to exercise. Or for many other important things. When I was depressed life felt much more difficult than at other points in my life. A lot of it was in my head.

During those times of depression, whenever I've been able to force myself to exercise, I always felt better afterward. That was part of how I climbed out of the hole, sort of like an upward spiral.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I work 24 hour shifts, am doing a part time uni course and trying to do up a house. I do try to walk as often as I can, but Its no way near enough to be healthy.

It's healthier than when you weren't walking, right?

and 24 hour shifts? You must be an EMT or paramedic!
  • kitten8u
    kitten8u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    im just a care worker