Backpacking: Food Intake

Options
Okay! I apologize ahead of time for the mass of pictures.

In order to keep it shorter I had to cut off the dates entry. You can still kind of see them, they're just behind the opaque frame. Everything else is visible.

I'm backpacking, about a 30 pound pack... haven't calculated it all up yet. I'm 5'8", 275, 28 years old.

Appalachian trail, near McAfee's Knob. Some elevation change... but I'm not sure how much. Seven miles in on Saturday and then seven miles back on Sunday (and hope there's no rain.)

I plugged in the exercise and it set me at... about 5500, I believe. I took off about 40% and ended up at 3,600 for the day.

Looking for food ideas (must travel and be light.)

Here we go:
p0a209tj3g0l.png
wll3taf2zu79.png
8t4vhbrktm00.png
wl3ov33qsnbi.png
be51ce1etmlx.png
ro2n2fly3yfl.png
id3k0ge311j7.png
shu56wdtszhj.png

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    On an overnight hike, I would err on taking slightly too much food, and not worrying so much about calorie count, but making sure you don't come up short. Here's are some reasonable tips: https://rei.com/learn/expert-advice/planning-menu.html

ETA: PS - Enjoy! I understand that's a very nice hike.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I find when hiking with just a daypack I earn so many calories...I think you can eat what you want but should make sure you have food that is good fuel! Proteins, complex carbs, etc. Can't wait to hear how it goes! Enjoy!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Are you bringing a stove?
    If so, dry soup/chili mixes are great and help to keep you hydrated.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    On an overnight hike, I would err on taking slightly too much food, and not worrying so much about calorie count, but making sure you don't come up short. Here's are some reasonable tips: https://rei.com/learn/expert-advice/planning-menu.html

ETA: PS - Enjoy! I understand that's a very nice hike.

Thanks!

We're heading up to Harper's Ferry WV instead because the rain moved south. :blush:
    suruda wrote: »
    I find when hiking with just a daypack I earn so many calories...I think you can eat what you want but should make sure you have food that is good fuel! Proteins, complex carbs, etc. Can't wait to hear how it goes! Enjoy!

I'm a bit worried about eating terribly, but I also don't want to over burden the pack.

I think I'm mostly going to stick to eating jerky/precooked bacon, some hardboiled eggs, carrots, apples, oats, and ramen.

I'm worried about the insane level of salt.
    Are you bringing a stove?
    If so, dry soup/chili mixes are great and help to keep you hydrated.

Yup, I'll have to look into dry soup mixes. Good idea.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I'm a bit worried about eating terribly, but I also don't want to over burden the pack.

I think I'm mostly going to stick to eating jerky/precooked bacon, some hardboiled eggs, carrots, apples, oats, and ramen.

I'm worried about the insane level of salt.

Consider this trip the exception rather than the rule. Make sure you have enough body fuel to carry you through the trip. Better to have more (within your carrying capability) than less. Better to overeat slightly, than to get woozy and stumble from overexertion and underfeeding.
    Two days of extra salt/cals are better than two nights in the hospital with a concussion because you passed out and bashed your head.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Clif bars, other protein bars, granola bars & peanut butter to dip them in (I like the Jif singles for that); baggies of nuts/dried cranberries/granola, clif bloks. Have all these handy (like in a front pouch)..so you can shovel them into your mouth while climbing.

For meals where you are stopped and have prep time (like dinner back at camp) - some freeze dried backpacking meals.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    By the way, do NOT weigh yourself for at least several days after your hike. With all the fluid retention from that much exercise and additional sodium, the scale will likely go up. But, it will be gone within a week, so don't sweat it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    What kind of stove / cookware do you plan to bring? It may not make sense for such a short trip to have a stove at all, especially if it is heavier and if the fuel canister is going to add even more weight for only dinner and breakfast. I normally would use an MSR Dragonfly with Sea to Summit X-Pot cookware for longer trips, but not for an over-night.

Last time I did a single night trip, I just brought meat and cheese sticks, nuts, and some peanut butter. I did bring an Esbit pocket stove and some fuel pellets (along with X-Pot tea kettle and cups) so we (2 total) could have coffee in the morning (I won't survive without coffee, lol). For such a short trip, you might consider evaluating whether or not you are better off with food that doesn't need to be cooked or if you can get by with a smaller (and cheap) stove.

Having said that, here are some suggestions:
    With stove:
    -Rice with dehydrated veggies
    -Pasta
    -Oatmeal w/raisins

Without stove:
    -Meats (those that do not need refrigeration) & cheese
    -Nuts / trail mix
    -Dried fruit
    -Energy bars or protein bars
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Make a couple PBJ sandwiches before you leave to bring with you for lunch each day. A couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast and maybe a packet of oatmeal. You could get an MRE for dinner, just add boiling water. Some are higher in salt than others, so try and get a lower sodium one, but you'll be hiking so your body will need the salt anyway. I like to bring a couple apples (they are heavy to carry, but they taste so good when backpacking). Some nuts/trail mix are also nice to munch on along the way. I've also brought a few corn taco shells and a brick of cheese and made quesadillas over the fire using a couple sticks to hold it up. Have fun on your trip!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Another note, since I see you are thinking about eggs.

Make sure to pack them carefully, obviously, so they don't break.

If you want to cook scrambled eggs in the backcountry, here is how to do it: Bring a freezer plastic bag (Ziploc / Glad - and must be freezer grade... a 2nd bag for eggshells and other trash) and something to hold it when it is warm (thick cloth).
    -Crack the eggs into the bag
    -Add cheese or whatever else is going into it
    -Seal up bag and carefully scramble eggs and mix ingredients by 'massaging' the bag
    -Put water and 2 forks or something in the pot to elevate bag so it isn't touching the very bottom
    -Put bag in pot and bring water to a boil *Depending on how thick mixture is, you may need to pick up and move around a bit so it gets thoroughly cooked more quickly
    -Turn off stove, remove bag, hold (use whatever you brought to keep from having to hold the hot bag directly with hands), and eat scrambled egg / omelet mixture out of the bag with a spoon

*Yes, I've done this before and it is a great way to cook eggs in the back-country. The worst part is carrying eggs out with me. For that reason, I don't eat this as often as I would like.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Clif bars, other protein bars, granola bars & peanut butter to dip them in.

Oh! I don't typically eat protein bars, didn't think of them. Actually... I might take some protein powder and mix it with the oats in the morning.
    What kind of stove / cookware do you plan to bring? It may not make sense for such a short trip to have a stove at all, especially if it is heavier and if the fuel canister is going to add even more weight for only dinner and breakfast. I normally would use an MSR Dragonfly with Sea to Summit X-Pot cookware for longer trips, but not for an over-night.
    I have a homemade can stove and also the cheap Peak 1 stove. I was going to take the canister stove.

I do want hot meals since it's January and going to be a mostly overcast.

I'm also thinking about hard boiling eggs ahead of time. But... not 100% on that.

You're very helpful! Thanks. :blush:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I'm packing, the last thing I'm worried about is calories...actually, I am...about not getting enough. I pack and I eat...it is far superior to the alternative.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I'm packing, the last thing I'm worried about is calories...actually, I am...about not getting enough. I pack and I eat...it is far superior to the alternative.
    I was wondering if what I had was a good amount. You say more?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

What are you non exercise maintenance calories...I'd start there and then add in the estimated exercise and then bring along more.

IDK, whenever I pack I just load up on calories...I've never really tried to calculate it out...I just load up with calorie dense stuff and a ton of carbs. I've never dieted while packing and I don't think I ever would really.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Another good option is quinoa or flavored rice mixes.
    You can put them in baggies and ditch the cardboard package.
    Mix them with foil packs of tuna or chicken and viola!
    Instant potatoes are good as well.

I usually grab some protein bars as well
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

As you have it set, your pace is about 1.2 mph. I'm sure the MFP calorie burn is based on a much more reasonable pace, probably at least twice that speed. So no, I don't think more calories makes sense because you are already over-estimating calorie burn.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options

As you have it set, your pace is about 1.2 mph. I'm sure the MFP calorie burn is based on a much more reasonable pace, probably at least twice that speed. So no, I don't think more calories makes sense because you are already over-estimating calorie burn.

It really depends on the terrain/elevation gain. I find it really hard to estimate calories burned from a hike due to so many variables. If she's new to backpacking, carrying a 30 pound pack, and trudging up rough terrain, that pace may not be too unreasonable. But, I am not familiar with her route, so it's hard to say.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

It really depends on the terrain/elevation gain. I find it really hard to estimate calories burned from a hike due to so many variables. If she's new to backpacking, carrying a 30 pound pack, and trudging up rough terrain, that pace may not be too unreasonable. But, I am not familiar with her route, so it's hard to say.

Yes, the elevation change is relevant. A 30 lb. pack isn't too much, probably not far off from what is used by MFP to estimate calorie burn. I think MFP is basing their calculation on "moving time" and not total time. While she may stop frequently to catch her breath, that shouldn't be included for calorie burn estimates. It's tough to determine that without an activity tracker (which would probably help with elevation gain and calorie burn anyway), but unless MFP includes stopped time (it wouldn't seem likely), then the pace still seems very low.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options

I've already deducted 40% of the calorie burn.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options

Yes, the elevation change is relevant. A 30 lb. pack isn't too much, probably not far off from what is used by MFP to estimate calorie burn. I think MFP is basing their calculation on "moving time" and not total time. While she may stop frequently to catch her breath, that shouldn't be included for calorie burn estimates. It's tough to determine that without an activity tracker (which would probably help with elevation gain and calorie burn anyway), but unless MFP includes stopped time (it wouldn't seem likely), then the pace still seems very low.

The telemetry of my phone picks up on miles and elevation gains. But that'll be post hike recalculation. :(