Body Beast

Options
I've recently started Body Beast. Wondering if there's any beginners out there as well. I'm on week 2 day 4.

What do you think so far?

Replies

• eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Could you tell me a little about Body Beast?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I got into lifting by doing programs like bodybeast and as much as I enjoyed it, it's a typical bro-split and there are more effective and more efficient programs. But if you enjoy it and are new to lifting, it's not a bad start to get things started.
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Stosha2319
    Stosha2319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I got into lifting by doing programs like bodybeast and as much as I enjoyed it, it's a typical bro-split and there are more effective and more efficient programs. But if you enjoy it and are new to lifting, it's not a bad start to get things started.

What other programs are there? I'd definitely would love to try after I finish Body Beast.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Stosha2319 wrote: »

What other programs are there? I'd definitely would love to try after I finish Body Beast.

Outside of beast, quite a few. Here is a short list.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This post is amazing but with so many options it got quite overwhelming!
    Looking for my next step, something that has to be doable from home... Any input?

OP, I'm in week 9 of Body Beast and loving it!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »

Looking for my next step, something that has to be doable from home... Any input?

What are your goals? What equipment do you have available? Do you have any areas you want to focus on (e.g., legs)? Have you done anything outside of Beast?
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose about 5% body fat (go from 20% to 15%). I don't mind building more muscle in the process, but ultimately my end goal is really to be shredded whether or not new mass is involved.

I have dumbells ranging from 8lb to 30lb; 12kg and 16kg kettlebells, and a bar that can take up to 100lb. I have a bench. I have a spinning bike.

I have mostly done workout DVDs (Body Beast, Hammer and Chisel, P90x3 and other more cardio focused stuff) so far as I like that it gives me the tempo but I'm open to do other stuff that I can do from home.

What are your goals? What equipment do you have available? Do you have any areas you want to focus on (e.g., legs)? Have you done anything outside of Beast?

• Stosha2319
    Options

Thank you so much!
  • Stosha2319
    Options
    I would like to lose about 5% body fat (go from 20% to 15%). I don't mind building more muscle in the process, but ultimately my end goal is really to be shredded whether or not new mass is involved.

I have dumbells ranging from 8lb to 30lb; 12kg and 16kg kettlebells, and a bar that can take up to 100lb. I have a bench. I have a spinning bike.

I have mostly done workout DVDs (Body Beast, Hammer and Chisel, P90x3 and other more cardio focused stuff) so far as I like that it gives me the tempo but I'm open to do other stuff that I can do from home.

Right now my main goals are to...
    1. Get to 140 lbs (after 2 kids I kinda added the weight on.)
    2. Focus on toning my mid section.
    3. And after all that's done build a little muscle and maintain it all.

I've started Insanity but it was too much for me as a beginner. I've also done programs through Fitness Blender (they have different programs you can target on.)

I have dumbbells ranging from 3lbs to 10lbs right now. I just started my collection. I have a treadmill and a 100lb punching bag, along with a yoga ball.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would probably look into StrongCurves. There are various workouts and they can get your started. Also, I wouldn't suggest 15% body fat. For a women, that can be rather low and almost dangerous as you get into essential fats, which will cause period and hormonal issues. Most women can get rather ripped between 16 and 18%. Largely, this will be driven by diet. A good lifting program will give you an opportunity to maintain or potentially grow some muscle. At some point though, you may have to consider more weight and probably a squat rack.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Right now my main goals are to...
    1. Get to 140 lbs (after 2 kids I kinda added the weight on.)
    2. Focus on toning my mid section.
    3. And after all that's done build a little muscle and maintain it all.

I've started Insanity but it was too much for me as a beginner. I've also done programs through Fitness Blender (they have different programs you can target on.)

I have dumbbells ranging from 3lbs to 10lbs right now. I just started my collection. I have a treadmill and a 100lb punching bag, along with a yoga ball.

For # 2, that will largely be genetics and lowering your body fat. A toned body is merely just a person who has low body fat and adequate muscle mass. Generally, this comes from having a moderate deficit (~ 500 calories per day or a bit less; I actually prefer 15 to 20% less than maintenance), adequate protein (~100 to 110g for you) and a good progressive overload resistance program. Hammer and Chisel is not bad since you don't have much equipment or you can do a program like "you are your own gym" found in the link I provided. If you had selecttech dumbbells, there would be a possibility to do one of the routines found in my link. One of the people I am training is following the M&S one and in the past 6 months, lost 9 lbs but gained 6 lbs of lean body mass (more than just muscle, but she responded really well).