Any other dancers around here?

Options
Hi all!

Part of my weight loss journey this year includes getting back into ballet - something I did for years and then got distracted from.

Any other dancers here on MFP? I'd love to share the journey with someone!

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I danced when I was younger (ballet, tap, and jazz) but haven't taken a class in about 24 years. One of my goals for this year is to start taking ballet classes again. I'm waiting until August so I can start at the beginning of the studio's year. Feel free to add me, even though it will be a few months before I start classes.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've danced my whole life, although there have been some extended gaps as an adult. I haven't danced now since I was about 6 mos preg (so about 2 yrs now) and miss it terribly! I prefer jazz and modern to ballet but none of the studios in my area offer adult classes so I'm looking into other options now. There's a circus school not that far away that does aerial classes--thinking about trying that when I'm a little lighter.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like ballet and wish there were affordable adult classes nearby...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm a ballet teacher! I mostly teach ballet but I also teach- tap, jazz, hip hop, poms, and creative movement!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am a ballroom dancer. I dance several times a week. I wish I had more time, as I would love to round out my dancer education with some ballet (have danced ballet since I was about 9) or even some hip hop!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Swing/Salsa/Tango mainly. (no solo dances/choreography).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional bellydancer- I power lift- and dance- I do other things (we do basic ballet- and west african- hip hope and some modern/contemp as well)- but the meat of my dance is various forms of middle eastern dancing.
  • reallyaviolinist
    reallyaviolinist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! It looks like there are at least a few of us on here.

Here's hoping that some intense ballet training gets me back into shape!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I try to do lots of yoga, too, as I find it helps keep me mindful of my body and posture. So much of dancing is about body awareness, and it's a nice way to do work on that (and burn some calories and limber up) when you can't be in the studio.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba teacher (not teaching right now but hope to take on a class this year). I danced ballet in my younger years, jazz in college, aerobics in the 90s as a class TA in college, and 20 years practicing yoga as a student. I was a Zumba student and then got certified to teach Zumba a few years ago--love it!

I just downloaded a short barre cardio workout app this week and found a few ballet based workouts online. Would love to connect with other dancers too...although, I am probably one of the old-timer dancers in this group ha! I think I fell in love with yoga and Pilates because ballet and jazz dance stretches combine a lot of yoga and Pilates was created to help rehab dancers.
  • FitterinaBallerina
    FitterinaBallerina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I operate a ballet focused blog with some fitness exercises! I'm starting back up again- it's at www.fitterinaballerina.com if you're looking for ballet/dance focused workouts
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    swing for me - Lindy Hop and Collegiate shag

just started African Dance classes too. I'm NOT a natural dancer but it's fun anyway!!
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would love to take some ballet classes! But it's been years and years and I'm approaching 40, and I'm nervous! So I haven't taken the plunge! I would have to get some soft shoes, I'm guessing I would not need a leotard... I hope not!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

just started African Dance classes too. I'm NOT a natural dancer but it's fun anyway!!

I love African- we specifically do West African- good ish- great for the legs.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I dabble in breakdancing...lol.
    I'm not good at all but it's pretty fun to learn.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »

I love African- we specifically do West African- good ish- great for the legs.

I <3 African as well.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    I would love to take some ballet classes! But it's been years and years and I'm approaching 40, and I'm nervous! So I haven't taken the plunge! I would have to get some soft shoes, I'm guessing I would not need a leotard... I hope not! [/quote

I am 44 and have been trying some traditional barre workouts on YouTube. I mentioned earlier that I danced ballet in my younger days.

However, if you are a newbie to ballet I suggest taking an actual class so a traditional ballet teacher can show you correct form and assist you so you don't injure yourself.

I was laughing because it has been years since I took a ballet class and I thought how did I remember all these positions and routines when I was young?! Ha! My legs and butt are sore today and that was only 25 minutes of a basic barre warmup. Ballet is an awesome form of exercise because you get both cardio and toning in one class.

I don't know about wearing leotards in adult ballet classes. I don't think I would want to wear one either ha!
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    im a square dancer, slow dancer, fast dancer, line dancer and clogger! i love it