Advice Needed on Snacks...

Options
So, I'm not able to feel satisfied with just eating three meals a day. I prefer to eat small meals and have a snack in between those meals, twice a day. My dilemma is that I don't know of many low carb, low sugar options. I used to just reach for fruit, but my trainer told me to avoid everything sugary. I'm also unable to eat any kind of nuts and I'm trying to stay away from processed foods. What do y'all recommend?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Do you like greek yogurt?
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Lunchmeat and cheese, hard-boiled eggs, sour cream-based ranch dip with raw veggies, Greek yogurt, tomatoes and mozzerella, and why not fruit? Fruit is full of really good stuff like fiber and vitamins and berries have fairly low sugar content.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, greek yogurt, meat and cheese, protein chips, salted cucumber and peppers, hard boiled egg.

You can eat fruit. I personally avoid it not because of sugar but because I find it to be calorie dense for how little it fills me up, and the carb count makes it difficult for me to hit protein.
  • jeanne2121
    jeanne2121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yogurt in the morning and carrots celery and hummus in the afternoon
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    String cheese and almonds, hummus with assorted veggies, Greek yogurt and I know you said no fruit but I often have a small apple with peanut butter as well
  • clrss1
    clrss1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I need protein fast sometimes a little tuna on a rice cracker does the trick
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan, but my daughter likes hummus.

I have a "snack box" right next to a dorm fridge in my laundry room. In the box are snack bags of pretzels, protein/fiber bars, crackers, Jif to Go packets - basically 100-calorie-ish snacks. In the fridge is bottled water, yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, apple slices. It's my "safe zone" so I don't have to go into the kitchen where "bad stuff" is.

I also will take a bottle of water, add crystal light pink lemonade, some fiber, and some whey protein powder (enough for about 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein) that I got from GNC. I added the recipe in that section so I can add it when I have it. gives the water a little "umph".
  • Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you are craving something sweet you can buy the 0 calorie/ 0 sugar jello cups and add a squirt of whipped cream. 60 calories, 1 gram of sugar and delicious!!!!
  • Courtney0991
    Courtney0991 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I will give hummus another shot. I bought garlic hummus from whole foods one time, and it was terrible lol. Could any of you who recommended it give me the name of the brand/type that you enjoy? Also, I do really like Greek yogurt, I just tend to not eat it as much because of the sugar.

As far as avoiding fruit, my trainer said that the sugar could hinder my weight loss. However, I did talk to my nutritionist and she said the same things as some of you and that I shouldn't exclude it from my diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    A diabetic trick when eating fruit is to pair it with a piece of hard cheese or dip it in peanut butter. The combo of fat, carbs and protein give you staying power.

Try also black bean dip. I've scooped up the dip with bell pepper slices. So good.

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/easy-black-bean-dip/?m
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Waitaminute. Greek yogurt has less sugar and more protein than the regular kind. Unless you are getting the sweetened stuff. It is really really hard to eliminate ALL sugar.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Waitaminute. Greek yogurt has less sugar and more protein than the regular kind. Unless you are getting the sweetened stuff. It is really really hard to eliminate ALL sugar.

I was going to say....My Fage 0% has a great macro breakdown.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, nitrate free deli meat (Canadian bacon is best), hard boiled eggs, mozzarella sticks, Greek yogurt, protein bars/shakes.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Celery, baked sweet potato, plain Greek yogurt?
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    TerryMyfitbitsnbobs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I find protein helps stave off cravings until main meals. Scrambled eggs works for me. A small helping of porridge (I make a huge pressure cooker batch and freeze small portions in zip bags). Celery sprinkled with flavour powders. Slimfast protein shakes. Radishes. Berry mix.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    don't listen to your trainer when it comes to diet advice...

Boiled eggs, jerky, protein bars, cheese, seafood
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Seafood sticks, Biltong or Beef Jerky, Frozen Peas (still frozen they're crunchy and fun), jumbo rice cakes with almond butter spread on top and a couple of halved blueberries, salted dried soya beans (like nuts but not nuts), watermelon - minimal calories to keep your trainer happy but still refreshing