Half marathon with your dog?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I will respectfully ask you not bringing your dog to a half marathon or any event for that matter - no matter how well behaved the dog is. It is unfair to the dog to be in that big of a crowd. It is a completely different story when you and your dog train - and there is just the two of you. With that big of a crowd the poor dog will be confused where to place him/herself. For the runners it become dangerous (other inattentive runners is bad enough) of no fault to the dog, the owner, or other runners. It is just having a dog in that kind of crowd. Last but not least - your dog may be well behaved - another dog may not be or a spectators dog may want to play with your dog.

I have run close to 50 half marathons with a variety of participants - I have been at events with well behaved dogs - and I respectfully ask you to leave the dog at home.

Well if it wasn't specifically an event for dogs which this one is I'd be more likely to agree with you. But when an event is specifically geared towards dogs I feel it is perfectly okay to bring your dog. Generally I don't bring my dog to races but when it is a dog focused event I certainly do. Mine has only done a 5k.
  • zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I am doing training runs with my almost 3 year old Huskey - I am only doing max a 10 min pace. At that pace she is just doing a brisk walk. She has gone as far as 12 miles in the winter & spring. She doesn't run in summer due to the heat. (We don't usually have much of a Fall) I would just take it slow building up your mileage and watch for signs of fatigue.
  • kellymcadam9674
    kellymcadam9674 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My yellow lab has been running with me since he was 10 weeks old. First very short distances, usually on groomed trail, to now he could easily do a half marathon! Although we've only done a max of 14km run and 19km walk as I haven't done a half marathon since he was in our lives. He's 2.5yo now. My 1.5yo mastiff x Shephard has done up to 10km run and 19km walk. Runs are usually a mix of road and varying trail difficulties.

They both lose their minds with happiness when they see me getting ready for a run. It's a great thing for them to stay active and spend time with you. I consulted my vet and as far as he was concerned as long as the dog wanted to run to go for it, even starting at a young age. Using common sense with building up your training and staying in tune with your dog will tell you if they can do the distance or not.

Good luck!!
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Only if it's a dog friendly event, vet Okays it and you train together. Mine has short legs and can't really keep up for long distances.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    @JustSomeEm we saw the vet today and for my dog she said no issues at all, with the reminder that we obviously build up to it and if course that if my dog is along, it's the dogs run and gets adjusted to how she is doing. That being said, my dog is athletic and rarely ever moves just at a walk lol. She is also smaller and lighter than a Pyr, so I'd clear it with your vet first :)
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    l5nqyj680gm8.jpeg
    I've had the black dog for 8 years. When she was younger I had a half lease on a horse and we would go trail riding.

One weekend we road nearly 30 miles. She easily doubled that. (Looping around and such. Haha.)

Didn't break a doggy sweat. She was three.

She used to have very sturdy paws. Never even considered trimming her nails, there was no need

Too old now! Breaks my heart. She was such an athletic dog! True athlete.

Two years is when they say dogs have quit growing, but it sometimes takes larger breeds longer.

How much does your dog weigh? Is she thin? Some say performance dogs are at their best weight when you can dip a finger under their rib cage (when they're laying on their side.)

Also, good diet? I make my dog food. I give her raw bones and she has a lovely coat. Good for the joints too.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    @SierraFatToSkinny cute dogs! Yes my dog is lean and fit, she has easily palpable ribs (as a healthy dog should) a nice abdominal tuck and deep chest. She is in excellent health and physical condition. She's a working dog, bred to go all day. Both of my dogs eat an excellent diet that is tailored to their needs :) She's a smaller dog, only 60lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This happened with an untrained dog where I live..

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-with-dogs/hound-bandits-half-marathon-in-alabama

I run with my 3 year old chocolate lab (street only) and only at 5k distance. I bring her back home and I finish my training if I go longer.. I personally will never enter a race with her longer than that..

Curious how this works out for you.

Brilliant!!
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    That distance seems too far for a retriever. I'd worry about her hips in particular. Some dogs could handle that distance (salukis, for example), but I'd worry about dogs that weren't specifically bred to run long distances.