Feeling bad about myself.

Options
I'm 30 years old I have been struggling with my weight since I turned 25. Right now I am 83 pounds overweight. I am really angry with myself for letting myself gain this much. I have a food addiction. Depression issues, which caused me to be inactive for days at a time, but I am committed to changing. My first goal is to increase my activity. I am going to be getting at least 15 minutes of cardio in 7 days a week, until I can increase to 20 minuted. I am going to watch my calorie intake too, but I am more focused on increasing my cardio for now. Wish me luck!

Replies

• giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    <3;)
  • RevengeBod2017
    RevengeBod2017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Aw, I'm in a similar situation. Baby steps, we can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I just joined!
  • educated16
    educated16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You got this. Don't be mad at yourself. It's ok. You are exercising and doing something about it now. You got this hun. Keep your head up.
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wish you great success. You are on your way to meeting your goals.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    A friend told me to figure out to turn my feeling bad into motivation to make the changes. It worked for me. I am not sure how it changed but her words reminded me that I can either feel bad for myself or I can do something about it. I decided to do something about it. :) Best of luck to you, you can do this!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a great plan, which something to feel very good about. Best of luck to you. ::flowerforyou::
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend looking at this website - after years of feeling bad about my habit of wanting to do something good (and having all my mental capacities and enough intelligence to lose weight effectively) I ALWAYS end up in the paradoxical situation of undermining myself with overeating again once I get close to my goal. So frustrating and also a route to self-denigration and self-loathing. It can also happen when I am trying to get motivated to RE-lose weight I have lost many times before as I try to screw down the motivation to start again!

Well thanks to this website and a book about habits ( The Power of Habits by Charles Duhigg ) I now know that the voice in my head which returns to bad habits and undermines my resolve stems from a specific part of my brain which is a rich mix of emotions and habits.

Now I am seeing that part of me as a CHIMP -- not an equal human, just a trouble making CHIMP who can have a banana or a few grapes but is not going to be allowed to take over my adult brain and ruin my intentions. I know it is going to be work, but I sincerly believe this insight will make a big difference to me and my feelings about myself, and hopefully it can work for you too

http://brainoverbinge.com/

• cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This isn't always an option, but seeing a therapist can really help with this.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    This isn't always an option, but seeing a therapist can really help with this.

Yup - I agree

Meanwhile, reading the book I suggested and the website are places to start if you cannot affored therapy. I went for help with this a couple of times, and no-one pointed out the root source of this paradox I experience, and some pretty simple CBT things suggested by the blog are already helping me feel really different about the mistakes of the past and the way I can change going forward. I am honestly excited!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Smith519 wrote: »
    I'm 30 years old I have been struggling with my weight since I turned 25. Right now I am 83 pounds overweight. I am really angry with myself for letting myself gain this much.

A very simple (and hopefully helpful) first step is to turn this sentence around.

Instead of being angry with yourself, you should be proud that you've decided to start doing something about it *now* and not five years from now when you likely would have doubled or tripled that amount.

Putting it another way, right now you're miles ahead of where you would have been down the road. Be proud of that! :)
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that long ago that I felt the same way...

Just know this: You have to love yourself regardless of what your relationship with gravity is. At no point during my ~120lb weightloss journey did I get to a point of miraculously feeling tons of self-love. You're at a better point today than you were a month ago because you recognize what you have to do to be healthier and are planning on doing it. A month from now you'll be in an even better place. Feeling good about yourself comes from within, it's not about what the scale says or what size jeans you wear.

Park in the furthest spot at the store so you have to walk further. Take the stairs to wherever you go. Be conscious of what and how much you're consuming (I will always give credit to my food scale and MFP for my weight loss, straight up). You can do this (:

Be proud as hell that you're taking this journey. It's hard but it's worth it. Good luck!