Raining

Options

Replies

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Haha, I live in the UK, if I didn't ever go out when it's raining, I'd never get out!

This. And when it rains here, it can be cold. San Diego, walking in the rain would be fabulous. Umbrella or not. I only stay in during storms.

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I hear you OP. I've been missing my lunch walk lately.
    I love walking/running in the rain. For running, just as long as it's not too cold, but walking it doesn't matter because you can just use an umbrella and not worry about getting wet!

Umbrellas are great! Unless it's windy. Then they're even worse than worthless.

I still haven't been able to find any fun in walking or running in the rain unless it's a little sprinkle, with no wind, on a warmish day. This has happened a grand total of one time in the 2 years I've been running. It was a magical 5 minutes. Then I got blisters from my socks and shoes getting soaked.

Rain here almost always comes accompanied by wind, cold temperatures, or lightning. None of which are pleasant, some of which are dangerous.
  • darbydean
    darbydean Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a six story parking garage next to my house so i walk up and down it when it is raining, or too hot (I live in Florida). As long as its not peak hour, it is safe and the up and down ramps add an extra challenge.

If you think creatively, you could always find a Mall\Parking Garage\public space to do a few laps around.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inadequate clothing.

oh no, you're wrong.

pardon my bitterness. there's no such thing as bad weather maybe, but there is definitely such a thing as weather for which there is no clothing that's adequate.

I wouldn't have agreed with you in the past, but we have had several sub zero events this winter and I've found I really don't like exercising outside when my nostrils tingle and I have to worry about frostbite. My dog doesn't like it much either and she can't tell me if her paws are freezing so I just assume they are under those circumstances. I guess I'm getting smarter (or wimpier) in my old age.

This^

And try walking in your neighborhood when record snow falls (for the season) keep the plows from being able to push the snow UP & AWAY. The roads just keep getting narrower.....and deep snow (at intersections and driveways) prevents cars from see you until the last minute.

There is always a variety of indoor stuff to do. So, no excuses there.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just call it a mud run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    umbrella-motvion-800x600.gif

I'll be doing a lot of this in Atlanta
    Do you ride the Silver Comet Trail?

I'm not sure what that is...my eldest (6) and I are going to Atlanta for the NFC Championship game and we'll be taking MARTA everywhere we need to go and walking a lot and it looks like it's supposed to pretty much rain all weekend.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what that is...my eldest (6) and I are going to Atlanta for the NFC Championship game and we'll be taking MARTA everywhere we need to go and walking a lot and it looks like it's supposed to pretty much rain all weekend.

Hope you're going to back the Packers.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

oh no, you're wrong.

pardon my bitterness. there's no such thing as bad weather maybe, but there is definitely such a thing as weather for which there is no clothing that's adequate.

As another Canadian, I agree. Yes, I can dress for the winter weather. But I can't dress to compensate for the icy conditions that sometimes make even walking a limb-risking proposition. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Hope you're going to back the Packers.

Hell yes...my kiddo is a big time Packers fan even at 6...he yells at the t.v. and everything. His cousin is 12 and a Packers fan and he idolizes his cousin so he's pretty much been go Pack go since he was born...we're meeting up with him and my BIL...should be fun.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Move to Arizona.
    Although it's raining here today! :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

oh no, you're wrong.

As another Canadian, I agree. Yes, I can dress for the winter weather. But I can't dress to compensate for the icy conditions that sometimes make even walking a limb-risking proposition. ;)

kahtoola-microspikes.jpg
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

oh no, you're wrong.

kahtoola-microspikes.jpg

I've used those at the barn went I had to bring the horses in under really icy conditions. Works well if you're only walking on ice or partially ice-covered grass.

But to wear those on a regular walk, they are *really* uncomfortable and awkward to walk in if you hit a patch of road or sidewalk that's been cleared of ice and snow. :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Why would you wear them on a not icy sidewalk? They only take a few seconds to get on and off. When I hike with these, I keep them in my backpack until I need them.

I mean, it's slightly inconvenient, but it's better than slipping and falling, and it's better than having cabin fever and wishing you could be outside, but feeling like you can't.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

oh no, you're wrong.

My mother's neighbor, a tugboat captain in NYC would disagree. As would the man who gave me tips for winter camping in upstate New York :)

I do agree that rain can make things unpleasant so I have a variety of backups when rain (but not cold) impedes my lunchtime walk. Last winter I was near an indoor ice rink and had fun skating for the first time in decades.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Spoken like someone who does not live in a place where it gets dangerously cold.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Spoken like someone who does not live in a place where it gets dangerously cold.

Tell that to this woman
    rtxjnbm.jpg?w=202&h=300

She's summitted Everest 6 times.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kahtoola-microspikes.jpg

Not so good for icy pavement/sidewalk - too aggressive (great for hiking though). Now 1/8" XC spikes - those are pretty much perfect (except that they will get worn down quickly from spots that are shoveled/plowed/salted and need to be replaced frequently).
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Smiley3ap wrote: »
    Haven't been able to walk the last couple days and for about the next week. It's been raining here. :(

I'm enjoying this downpour for the desert climes can be rather drabby . Today however, I'd had to delay my morning run until I'd reached my sunny disposition.

You are denying yourself of one of life's simplest pleasures, granted you're properly attired@winds/temperature inc. and if your route's surface isn't a safety risk when it's raining.
  • ritzvin
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why would you wear them on a not icy sidewalk? They only take a few seconds to get on and off. When I hike with these, I keep them in my backpack until I need them.

I mean, it's slightly inconvenient, but it's better than slipping and falling, and it's better than having cabin fever and wishing you could be outside, but feeling like you can't.

..because you would be doing that like every third house and street crossing if you live in a city.
    They also don't stay in place very well while running (at least for me) - I usually go with either long XC spikes or full-fledged crampons for a winter trail run.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    32°F and raining does suck though. I'll sometimes skip in that case. (It means you'll be wet when the temperature drops below freezing a few minutes later and everything is covered in pristine black ice). And far below freezing sucks too- I hate having to run in a balaklava.