Beginner help

So, I am keeping within 1200-1400 calories per day and doing pretty well with it. I am also walking/jogging 3 days a week and lifting weights 3 days a week. When I initially started I dropped 7lbs fast, mostly bloat and water weight. With lifting weights I gained back a pound and have remained there. I can see a slight difference in my physique with the weight lifting, but when can I expect to start seeing the scale move again? I need to see it move for motivation to keep going.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Give it time. If you are in deficit you will lose weight.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Every body is different, Just relax and keep it up. Stressing over it can actually cause it to last longer ;) Wait for the whoosh
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    yes give it time..typically new exercise causes water/glycogen stores to stay for up to 4 weeks sometimes...esp weights.

Just make sure you are drinking lots of water and keeping hydrated....esp if "sore".

As long as you are in a deficit and are positive (logging accurately and consistently everyday by weight using a food scale) it will fall off...

But also since you are lifting take some measurements too...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    How long have you gone with no loss at all? What has your progress been over the last 4 weeks?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Losing weight is an over time thing. I'm not sure how long ago you started?

I would suggest you compare your weight in 30 day increments. I think this works well for women because it offsets monthly hormonal/TOM weight fluctuations.

You can also retain water due to sodium intake, stress, lack of sleep, change in macros, muscle repair from starting or increasing a workout routine. Water weight is annoying as it masks the fat loss, but it does not prevent it. Just makes it harder to see since the scale does not reflect what we want it to.

If you've been at this less than 4 weeks, hang in there! If you've been at it longer, do you weigh less now than a month ago? Was that scale reading less than a month prior? If the answer is yes, you're on the right path.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Weight loss is never a constant downward journey. Don't get too discouraged if you fluctuate a pound or two for a couple weeks, especially when you first start working out. As long as you are weighing your food with a scale, logging accurately, and working out, it will move down again. :)
  • mbruce3511
    mbruce3511 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement and information. It has been 3 weeks since I started, not long I know, but it's been about a week with no movement other than the 1lb gained back. I have decided to just keep pushing and eventually it will happen.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    mbruce3511 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement and information. It has been 3 weeks since I started, not long I know, but it's been about a week with no movement other than the 1lb gained back. I have decided to just keep pushing and eventually it will happen.

Yeah weight loss isn't linear. You could eat and exercise perfect every single day, and some weeks you lose a lb, some weeks you stay the same, some weeks you gain a lb. There's lots of other stuff in your body other than fat, and it shifts around too :). A real stall is more like 4-6 weeks. I can gain 5 lbs in a week where it's my TOM and I ate alot of salty food! It's not fat, just life.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    OP this happens dont get discouraged, along the way you willlearn about foods you haven't had before and you can use these to give you a much lower calorie intake of things you enjoy eating. My calorie intake is low but I enjoy all the things I have dailyand I don't really feel deprived. You need to keep at it one day at a time so it becomes a lifetime of healthy eating. Good luck
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Don't get discouraged you're doing fine! You will get stalls like that for a week maybe two weeks even. Just keep on logging calories and make sure you are not missing any and you will lose over time.