Loose skin or fat? will this ever go away? (w/o surgery)

Options
I have had 3 children, and with each pregnancy gained 50 pounds so I only have myself to blame for my stomach stretching above and beyond what was necessary.
Anyway, I changed my lifestyle in February of this year. I have been eating well, and working out. Plenty of cardio and strength training. I have heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" I eat fairly clean. I would say about 80% of the time. The only thing I have not tried is cutting carbs. I get too cranky, and its not a lifestyle I can live with. But I would be willing to try it for a week or 2 if it means I could fix this problem!

I am thinking there is nothing other than surgery that will fix this though. :(

I am wondering if maybe I just have not given my body enough time (Since its only been 5-6months of eating properly and working out) Or if I am screwed and will have to get surgery to get this skin removed. It really is such a small amount, but it drives me nuts! I keep thinking maybe its just fat and it will eventually be gone, but Im pretty sure Im just wishful thinking.

Okay, here are the pics, hopefully they show up.. Photobucket hates me usually.
Has anybody ever had loose skin go away w/o surgery? Or had a stomach that looked like this and fixed it naturally with just diet and excercise?

Front view:

001.jpg

Side angle:
005-1.jpg

Replies

• blondebaby9890
    Options
    Now, I'm being completely serious on this one...but...what loose skin?
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I'm with her. I don't see loose skin.

I know people that have had the surgery to tighten the skin. The scars are far worse than anything you have wrong with your tummy.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

i'm with you. i don't see any either.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the best pictures to show it.. but I can pull out atleast an inch of skin under my belly button where the stretch marks are. Its really soft and wrinkly and I hate it! It maybe not show up well in these pics.. sorry.. maybe I should have taken a pic of me pulling on it but that just sounded gross!
  • cl2k4
    cl2k4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's there FOREVER. I was a fat kid, (230 at 14) and have gotten down to 150 (not my goal but I'm on my way!) in the past 8-9 years. The stretch marks and extra skin never go away. you can always try and tone up, and will probably get firmer, but the puckering stays forever!!!

Also, you already look FANTASTIC!!!! You should be proud that your extra pooch is from carrying your wonderful children instead of being super into little debbie snacks when you were 12 years old!!!!!
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Umm what exactly are you concerned about? lol I would kill for my stomach to be that flat lol.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    really? It is nothing to worry about. Mine is bad enough, I will not wear a 2 piece or post pics! I researched this last night and what I read said if one is young enough, it will go back to normal in time. I don't know what age that needs to be though. Even if mine does not go away, I would rather be thin and have hanging skin, than be big and have tight skin.l
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Bend over and retake the pix so we can actually tell if it is loose skin. And pinch it. My stomach looks flat straight on and from the side but I do have loose skin so bend over and if it hangs- there's your answer!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 children, and with each pregnancy gained 50 pounds so I only have myself to blame for my stomach stretching above and beyond what was necessary.
    Anyway, I changed my lifestyle in February of this year. I have been eating well, and working out. Plenty of cardio and strength training. I have heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" I eat fairly clean. I would say about 80% of the time. The only thing I have not tried is cutting carbs. I get too cranky, and its not a lifestyle I can live with. But I would be willing to try it for a week or 2 if it means I could fix this problem!

I am thinking there is nothing other than surgery that will fix this though. :(

I am wondering if maybe I just have not given my body enough time (Since its only been 5-6months of eating properly and working out) Or if I am screwed and will have to get surgery to get this skin removed. It really is such a small amount, but it drives me nuts! I keep thinking maybe its just fat and it will eventually be gone, but Im pretty sure Im just wishful thinking.

Okay, here are the pics, hopefully they show up.. Photobucket hates me usually.
    Has anybody ever had loose skin go away w/o surgery? Or had a stomach that looked like this and fixed it naturally with just diet and excercise?

Front view:

001.jpg

Side angle:
    005-1.jpg

Try this and make sure to keep your stomach moisturized with cocoa butter or shea butter.....Suave will do. I've been doing this the whole time I've been losing and I don't have loose skin and I'm almost 52 with 3 children and 2 grands. :flowerforyou: Don't give up!
    http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniquesdry_brushing_technique.htm#respond
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I don't want to belittle your concern, 'cause I realize you are unhappy with it, but if my loose skin looks like that when I reach my goal, I will kiss every stranger I see for a month. Best of luck on it tightening up though.
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other members here. Your stomach shows stretch marks from the pregnancies but I don't really see that much extra skin. I would love to have a flat stomach like yours. This topic has been really popular the last few days...and the agreement seems to be that if there is loose skin, it can take up to 2 years for your skin to bounce back. A lot of people suggested lotions as well.

Good luck, and congrats on your successful life style change.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't see any loose skin - but if you are worried have you tried adding fish oil to your diet? I was on a weight loss plan that required fish oil pills be taken everyday as the fish oil makes your skin elasticy again which allows it to tone and tighten as you lose weight and exercise. Just be careful if you have a week stomache - I couldn't take the dose they wanted me to without getting severe heartburn. Good Luck
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    the loose skin you have is MINIMAL...consider yourself blessed! since it has just been recent weight loss, it should shrink/tighten up a bit but it's not going to be "skin tight" -- no pun intended

you look amazing and I wish my loose skin was this "loose" LOL -- mine rolls over...now THAT'S loose skin!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Maybe not the best pictures to show it.. but I can pull out atleast an inch of skin under my belly button where the stretch marks are. Its really soft and wrinkly and I hate it! It maybe not show up well in these pics.. sorry.. maybe I should have taken a pic of me pulling on it but that just sounded gross!

if you can pull it out and it is thin then it is skin. it takes up to a year to tighten up and if it hasn't by then it won't...then if you don't like it and it isn't causing health problems it will be a cosmetic surgery to remove the skin.
    As you have to pull it to know it is there you have to weigh the risks of surgery on your abdomen to just being happy with your fabulous looking body. :-)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I can sort of see what you're talking about. I think? Maybe. I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss if I had seen your tummy at a beach, but I'm looking closely because you asked! :smile:

It doesn't look like you have excess fat in the area, so if you're unhappy with anything in that area, it's probably just skin. You could always try another 6 months or so and then see if it changes any. (Maybe measuring the loose skin and comparing it will give you a good idea?) I have heard of some people firming up for up to a year or so after loss. At that point, you can always decide if you want to talk to a surgeon about options, if you're interested...but...honestly, there's so little skin there that the surgery cost & recovery might outweigh the benefits!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can sort of see what you're talking about in the first picture, but it hardly looks loose. I think the stretch marks may be bothering you more? But I'll just say, to see such a flat & toned tummy after three children, KUDOS to you girl!!!!!!
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    Okay, so I don't mean to minimize your problem, but I honestly think that it's not even anything to worry out. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like such a big thing, and I think that you look awesome whether or not you have a little loose skin. I'd say just don't stress it.
  • patssarah
    Options
    Okay.. heres a better example...

2011-07-18_14-49-12_178.jpg
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    hey there is something growing out of your belly button---maybe if you twist it --it will tighten up--lol
  • patssarah
    Options
    Okay, so maybe I am being ridiculous, I have just been working so hard and I am really happy with the changes I have made inside and out, I am just really self conscious about the little wrinkly part I can grab, makes me not want to wear a 2 piece even though I feel really confident in anything else I put on. Thanks for the responses, I will look into the fish oil, and I have used some creams but I have gotten lazy with it.