Raining

Options
13»

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Smiley3ap wrote: »
    Haven't been able to walk the last couple days and for about the next week. It's been raining here. :(

Enjoy it. We are in the middle of a drought 2nd year running and apparently our city only has water for another 86 days.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    kahtoola-microspikes.jpg

Not so good for icy pavement/sidewalk - too aggressive (great for hiking though). Now 1/8" XC spikes - those are pretty much perfect (except that they will get worn down quickly from spots that are shoveled/plowed/salted and need to be replaced frequently).

Awesome! Then use 1/8" XC spikes! Glad you were able to find a solution. :smile:
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kahtoola-microspikes.jpg

Not so good for icy pavement/sidewalk - too aggressive (great for hiking though). Now 1/8" XC spikes - those are pretty much perfect (except that they will get worn down quickly from spots that are shoveled/plowed/salted and need to be replaced frequently).

IHMO Microspikes are great for hiking in packed snow. They are the go to foot wear for broken trails in the White Mountains in the winter.
    YakTrax are better for running though:
    run-bottom-right-large.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I hear you OP. I've been missing my lunch walk lately.
    I love walking/running in the rain. For running, just as long as it's not too cold, but walking it doesn't matter because you can just use an umbrella and not worry about getting wet!

Umbrellas are great! Unless it's windy. Then they're even worse than worthless.

Heh, I've ruined so many umbrellas this way that I usually don't bother with one.
    I still haven't been able to find any fun in walking or running in the rain unless it's a little sprinkle, with no wind, on a warmish day. This has happened a grand total of one time in the 2 years I've been running. It was a magical 5 minutes. Then I got blisters from my socks and shoes getting soaked.

Rain here almost always comes accompanied by wind, cold temperatures, or lightning. None of which are pleasant, some of which are dangerous.

We have rain both when it's warm and when it's not. I don't mind it (for running) when it's warm, don't choose to walk in it for fun, but do have to walk in it all the time because that's life. If we are having one of our torrential crazy basically just pouring buckets on you and you can hardly see kind of rains I avoid going out unless I absolutely have to (to or from work, mostly), but even then it sometimes happens (I especially love how fast you can get deep puddles to be walking through, yay!). Worst was when it came on suddenly when I was riding home along the lake, complete with a wind that was whipping the lake across the bike path -- scary because I really could not see well.

Mostly not so bad, though, but there are times I am glad I can go to the gym.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would you wear them on a not icy sidewalk? They only take a few seconds to get on and off. When I hike with these, I keep them in my backpack until I need them.

I mean, it's slightly inconvenient, but it's better than slipping and falling, and it's better than having cabin fever and wishing you could be outside, but feeling like you can't.

..because you would be doing that like every third house and street crossing if you live in a city.
    They also don't stay in place very well while running (at least for me) - I usually go with either long XC spikes or full-fledged crampons for a winter trail run.

I've wondered what to do for regular running when it's icy for that reason (also in a city, run on the sidewalk). I've got yaktrax, but they aren't great for the ice/not ice thing. When it's icy enough I can't just avoid it I tend to run inside for that reason which is a shame since I've finally figured out what to wear down to about 0. (I choose not to run outdoors when it's below 0 F.)
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inadequate clothing.
    Spoken like someone who does not live in a place where it gets dangerously cold.

Tell that to this woman
    rtxjnbm.jpg?w=202&h=300

She's summitted Everest 6 times.

Wouldn't need to. She knows that winter temps on Everest are dangerous no mater how much clothing you have on. That's why all the summit treks on Everest take place in the summer where the temps at the summit range between 2 degrees F and -11 degrees F. The low up here two days ago was -56 degrees F. It was recommended that you not go out unless you absolutely had to. Why? Because it's dangerous.

OP, if walking is what you like to do for exercise but you don't feel comfortable going out for a walk in the rain that's fine. There are a ton of YouTube exercise videos for you to choose from. You could also browse Pinterest for body weight circuits that may suit your fancy:-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Lol, I jog back and forth in my living room while watching TV. Movement is movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    The Pacific NW equals rain about 6 months out of the year (sometimes more) and native Oregonians don't believe in umbrellas!

Unless it's sub-zero and super icy, I'll walk, hike, swim, garden and play disc golf on a liquid sunshine day! Just need to have the right gear and some lip balm.

mefss7wp3g7a.jpg
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between getting some exercise done out in the rain and going out in icy conditions that are just a bit on the dangerous side. At times though training in rubbish conditions has its place at times when doing an event things like mental toughness can come into its own and if you have never trained your mental toughness and come the day of the event It is most likely to take place even if it's chucking it down or a bit windy. As long as it's not a danger to life. Then sense obviously comes into play. Nobody likes to train in rubbish conditions last weekend conditions where sub zero side roads covered in ice and snow main roads mostly OK as long as you rode sensible. There was one part covered in ice to ride over for about half a mile apart from that it mostly was OK. By the time I got in the water bottle was starting to freeze. It's not something I like doing but when there is date and the miles are needed in the legs it has to be got on with
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Spoken like someone who does not live in a place where it gets dangerously cold.

Tell that to this woman
    rtxjnbm.jpg?w=202&h=300

Wouldn't need to. She knows that winter temps on Everest are dangerous no mater how much clothing you have on. That's why all the summit treks on Everest take place in the summer where the temps at the summit range between 2 degrees F and -11 degrees F. The low up here two days ago was -56 degrees F. It was recommended that you not go out unless you absolutely had to. Why? Because it's dangerous.

OP, if walking is what you like to do for exercise but you don't feel comfortable going out for a walk in the rain that's fine. There are a ton of YouTube exercise videos for you to choose from. You could also browse Pinterest for body weight circuits that may suit your fancy:-)

Ya, I'll stay in at -56 degrees F!

@earlnabby what's the coldest you've walked in?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why would you wear them on a not icy sidewalk? They only take a few seconds to get on and off. When I hike with these, I keep them in my backpack until I need them.

I mean, it's slightly inconvenient, but it's better than slipping and falling, and it's better than having cabin fever and wishing you could be outside, but feeling like you can't.

I bought a treadmill. LOL.

I watch TV while I walk on days when I can't safely walk outside. I'm in my 60's and don't bounce like I used to. ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Tell that to this woman
    rtxjnbm.jpg?w=202&h=300

Ya, I'll stay in at -56 degrees F!

@earlnabby what's the coldest you've walked in?

To get to work: -25° F

For exercise or with my hiking club, - 10° F
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

oh no, you're wrong.

pardon my bitterness. there's no such thing as bad weather maybe, but there is definitely such a thing as weather for which there is no clothing that's adequate.

I'm going to agree with this. You can get perfectly good gear for the snow, rain, and cold for my climate, but when the NWS starts warning about downed trees due to wind or ice I stay in. I have yet to find a hat that protects against fallen tree branches. I also was foolish enough to go running when we had a flood warning. I figured since I'm outside the river valley it didn't apply to me. Well, the normally dry wash near my house was almost to the top by the time I made it back across, then the road closed a few hours later. So, yes, there is absolutely weather that waterproof fabric and layers will not protect against. That being said, OP, if there is no chance of drowning get a rain suit and wellies. Rainy walks can be calming and pleasant when you stay dry.
  • Smiley3ap
    Smiley3ap Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So you understand, I do love in SoCal. I have no need for wet weather gear. Also, I walk where I work and that's down by the water. By SoCal standards, it gets cold down here. Also, I walk during my lunch break and wouldn't have time to change clothes before going back to work. So call it excuses or whatever, I won't walk in the rain.
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Walk or run in the rain, you're not sugar or salt!
    I'm from Northern Ireland and I wouldn't get out running or walking much if I only went out when it's dry. The local joke is that we know it's summer because the rain is warmer!